The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Default LR Baggs M1 vs M1A & Questions

Hi,
I'm considering an M1A for my Ibanez AC240 and I have a couple of questions:

Why does it always look like there are only 4 pole pieces and 2 holes where pole pieces should be? (I've only seen promotional/product photos.)

Are all 6 pole pieces adjustable?

My sound hole is about 3 15/16 in diameter. Will it fit?

And lastly, does the M1 also have a volume control? I've seen some photos listed as the M1 (even on LR Bagg's website) and some show a volume control and others without a volume control. (Having volume control is a necessity for me.)

Thank you for your help,
PJ
Old 11-23-2014, 03:02 PM

Six pole pieces, all adjustable ... short and longer ones are supplied. M1 has no volume control ... but like all passive pickups, the volume control can only attenuate the volume ... ie, at full it's what the pickup would put out without the control. The M1A volume control, being active, has both GAIN and attentuation. Either should fit fine in your soundhole.

Unless you plan to run to an external preamp, I'd recommend the M1A.

Last edited by RustyAxe; 11-24-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:03 PM

I have an M1 that's a little over 1yr old and it does NOT have a volume control.

You may also want to check out fingerpick.com under acoustic pickups. They have a section on EQ'ing the M1. Thanks to Doug Young for the link in previous posts.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:27 AM

I use the M1 in my AC240. Both pickups are the same size, so either should fit fine. As said earlier, no volume control on the M1. The B & E string poles are supposedly factory set for bronze strings (unwound) as stated in the manual. I have a hard time hearing the amplified sound verses the sound coming from the soundhole, so I have not tried any adjustments, but all 6 poles are adjustable and the allen wrench to do so is included.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:16 AM

Thank you all very much for your help and information. I think I will go for the M1A as I need the volume control. With Strings and Beyond offering 15% off and free shipping, it's too good to pass up.

Once again this forum comes through with helpful info from very giving members! My sincere thanks.

Best,
PJ
Old 11-26-2014, 10:07 AM

Default M1 LR Baggs

I prefer the Passive M1 for a few reasons . No need for extra preamp or another piece of equip with a battery, as I have enough already . My thought is the tiny volume pots , ala 1960s transistor radios is just something else that will either break or wear out . The small volume pots do not last long before trouble occurs , usually ...The passive M!s do quite fine without any added help...I know the M1A can go passive, but would it be the same output as the M1 , I don't know ? Good Luck with your endeavor however ... I do ad very small pieces of soft Velcro to the screw sides to alleviate the guitar thumpyness from these very sensitive pick ups . I Do use an outboard preamp/modeler , either Sansamp acoustic, or Behringer ADI21 ( which took 3 to get one that worked correctly ) Trick is to use rechargeable 9 volt NIMH batterys . Can adjust prior to going into an amp for nice mellow sound . I also REVERSED the pickup in the sound hole, as called BAGGS and said can do easy ...as I tend to play toward the front of the soundhole, where the pickup would normally be ,,, so I reversed if as a left handed player would do , but had to remove all the poles and reverse them also to make it correct , and now sits at rear on the soundhole, out of the way of my right hand , front of sound hole playing area ...

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 11-26-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I think I will go for the M1A as I need the volume control.
Just out of interest, for what reason do you need a volume control on the guitar?
I decided against the option when I recently installed a JJB pickup in my guitar, I reckon once the volume level is set initially on the amp/pa i get better sound and theres much less faffing/tweaking, plus i've got a mute on the tuner pedal. Apart from choosing the JJB, not choosing the volume control add on was one of the most sensible decision i've made lately.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
Just out of interest, for what reason do you need a volume control on the guitar?
I decided against the option when I recently installed a JJB pickup in my guitar, I reckon once the volume level is set initially on the amp/pa i get better sound and theres much less faffing/tweaking, plus i've got a mute on the tuner pedal. Apart from choosing the JJB, not choosing the volume control add on was one of the most sensible decision i've made lately.
Hi Emmsone,
I plan on playing this at my church and while we have a decent sound system, we have no sound guy. It's strictly plug and play. I can make it wok very well with on-board volume control but without it, I have no other volume control. No pedals or anything like that. Just a DI.

Best,
PJ
Old 12-24-2019, 08:54 PM

So it’s just volume and gain, no EQ inside?
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 12-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
So it’s just volume and gain, no EQ inside?
Nope, just volume/gain. I have the M1A in my 00-18 & am using it at church, too. I do run it into a Polytune3 tuner/mute pedal, then to a ToneDEQ, then the DI to our board. Very flexible & easy peasy.

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification