The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2014, 07:06 AM

Default Fishman New Platinum Pro?

Any reviews? Does not seem to be available at the moment, anybody know the reason?

http://www.fishman.com/products/view...-analog-preamp
Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for mentioning this. Don't see a review. Fishman rolled it out for Summer NAMM but it looks like it's not in full production yet. I asked my Sweetwater guy to keep an eye out for the 201 model for me. I have the Pro-EQ II preamp as well as other Fishman products. Nothing but happy with their work.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 09-18-2014, 01:58 PM

I am pretty sure this was introduced at winter NAMM because I have been following the product closely. I kind of lost interest though due to the lack of information and the insanely long production delays.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 AM

I'm intrigued. Guess I'm keeping my eye out for this now.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 PM

Well, I guess it's either production delay... or they have too many of the existing (old model, which I have one) Platinum Pro's sitting in distributors warehouses and they don't want to discount them to move them. Plenty around for $150.... it's actually a pretty good unit, which is why I'm interested in the new one.... we'll see....
Old 09-20-2014, 02:24 AM

For what it's worth, I messaged Fishman via Facebook yesterday asking about the new Platinum Pro's availability and they responded "...they will be available in October."
Old 09-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

+1 pmarino. My Sweetwater guy got back to me with this: "The new Fishman Platinum Pro series is expected to begin shipping at the end of this month (Sept). The PRO-PLT-201 will be priced at $249.95 and I will contact you when these arrive!"

Ain't Nobody's Business:
Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing reviews of this thing. It has everything I want in one box... On paper.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:18 PM

I really hope the built in tuner is better than the one on the spectrum di.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 PM

Received the new platinum Pro on Saturday, purchased through Sweetwater. Initial impression is very favorable, definitely an improvement over the old platinum pro. Straight out of the box, string balance is noticeable, gain before "quack" is strikingly better and, the tone is exceptional. I really like the built in tuner and boost. All in all, I'm pleased with the unit. I haven't played out of the house yet, based on my experience so far, I'm optimistic the acoustic projection without "quack" will be much improved. If not, I'll post back. Looking forward to other opinions/feedback on this unit.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Default Fishman New Platinum Pro?

Keep us posted. I'm definitely interested in this pre- amp DI.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Mine arrived from Sweetwater around same time as yours pegleg but I've been outa town, then trying to get caught up from being outa town, etc. It's still in the box! I'll try to do a review real soon.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 PM

At the request of another poster, I have reposted with spaces.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com

Last edited by rainsong; 11-18-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Just got mine too. Have yet play out with it yet but the first gig with it will be next week. I was using the old Aura Blender and grew weary of the digital sound and lack of any EQ. Been using the BAggs PADI for the last year and was wanting some new technology but not really sold on the whole AURA thing.

Initial impression is positive. Very warm and more gain than the PADI. Also like that it has a light telling you if you are overdriving (PADI you just had to use your ears), compression and a BOOST. I don't play lead in my band but I do switch from strumming to fingerpicking on songs and this comes in handy.

The notch filter is also more effective than the PADI. Only one setting as far as how much it will cut but I'm sure it is cutting at least 10db where as the PADI maximum cut is 6db. The sweepable mid is similar to the PADI, I just wish it told you what frequency you are cutting/adding like the PADI.

Ergonomically and lookswise it is WAY nicer than the PADI. I never liked the XLR plug coming out of the top like the PADI did. The weight of the cord would pull on it, just a bad design. Having it come out of the side like the Fishman makes much more sense.

Also never really cared for the skinny little black knobs on the PADI. Also, if you use the XLR out rather than 1/4" it doesn't matter where you have the volume control, the output is always the same going to the mixer. One less thing to have to worry about setting correctly when hooking up. If you use the 1/4" out, the volume control does change the ouput, just something to be aware off. I always had the volume output set at maximum on my Aura Blender anyway.

The compression is vary subtle, which I like.

The tuner is VERY accurate. Not a strobe tuner, but much better than those clip on things and it reads ALL the strings, ALL the time! Cons: Only complaints would be it can't run off phantom like the PADI and it would be nice if it had a footswitch feedback killer like the Aura pedal. SOmetimes you just don't know you will get feedback until you are into the song and hit that note and it takes off. can't very well stop in the middle of the song and switch on the notch filter.

I think I'm gonna like this pedal though, it makes my Takamine with the Palethetic Pickup system sound warmer than it already does and looks sharp as hell! Guess I'm glad I waited and Fishman made sure all the bugs were worked out (hopefully) before releasing it.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com

Last edited by rainsong; 11-18-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
Received the new platinum Pro on Saturday, purchased through Sweetwater. Initial impression is very favorable, definitely an improvement over the old platinum pro. Straight out of the box, string balance is noticeable, gain before "quack" is strikingly better and, the tone is exceptional. I really like the built in tuner and boost. All in all, I'm pleased with the unit. I haven't played out of the house yet, based on my experience so far, I'm optimistic the acoustic projection without "quack" will be much improved. If not, I'll post back. Looking forward to other opinions/feedback on this unit.
I can't wait to hear the reviews. Looks promising. It is very feature packed compared to literally everything else out there in this type of stompbox preamp/DI.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification