The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorfinger View Post
I've only played it for ~ 30 minutes (and only through my guitar), but so far, so good. I like the effects, but haven't messed with the Chorus much. The echo and reverb are definitely usable. I have only played it at low volume so I hate to say any more about it, until I really give it a go-through.

TW
One the thing that turned me off about the Carvin was that it appeared that you could only use one effect at a time. Is this true?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEL276 View Post
One the thing that turned me off about the Carvin was that it appeared that you could only use one effect at a time. Is this true?
That's true, you can only use one effect on a given channel, though you can use different effects across channels, e.g. reverb on channel one & chorus on channel 2. I find that I only use reverb anyways so this isn't a problem for me. If I ever needed more effects I would just use a separate F/X unit through the loop.

On a side note, I never understood why they sell new amps on ebay when you can get the same amp and price through their website plus free color options plus reduced cost on slip covers (I think the cover was 25% off when purchased at same time as amp). I guess it increases their presence online, but they also have to pay a small commission to ebay for every sale.
2000 Fender '72 Telecaster Custom
2002 Epiphone Les Paul Std+
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
2011 Taylor LKSM
2012 Seagull S12 Coastline Cedar
2016 Taylor 324
Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorfinger View Post
I've only played it for ~ 30 minutes (and only through my guitar), but so far, so good. I like the effects, but haven't messed with the Chorus much. The echo and reverb are definitely usable. I have only played it at low volume so I hate to say any more about it, until I really give it a go-through.

TW
Any further thoughts? I'm GASsing for one
that's me on guitar
Old 05-15-2014, 05:26 PM

I have a Carvin ag200 and I was shocked at its excellent sound, dynamics, for the price. I'm always surprised when anyone comments about 'on board' amplifier effects. The only amp I've heard that had a decent reverb was an AER C60....Seems to me that stomp box effects sound so much better, esp for reverb, delay, etc.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEL276 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIMland View Post
That's true, you can only use one effect on a given channel, though you can use different effects across channels, e.g. reverb on channel one & chorus on channel 2. ...snip...
I'm looking to upgrade from my current amp (Behringer ACX450), and I've narrowed my options down to the Fishman Loudbox Artist & the Carvin AG200.

I liked the idea of going with a Carvin because they seem like great values, and they are US built, but I was concerned about only being able to use one effect on my guitar channel, as I like to combine subtle amounts of chorus and reverb with the guitar.

Well, upon researching the owner's manual for the AG200 & AG300, I discovered that the effects available are:
Echo
Reverb
Chorus
Chorus with Reverb

So, if you're looking to combine chorus & reverb (the most common blending of effects for acoustic guitar?) you can do it with the AG200 or AG300.

I think I'll be going with the Carvin.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-26-2014, 02:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've been gigging with mine for a couple months and while it took some time to "dial in" the sound I wanted I'm now quite pleased. Using either my Martin M36 or Martin 000-18, both with K&K run through a Red Eye pre-amp (which I think really improves the sound and being able to tweak the treble for the room is a nice feature). I previously used a Carvin (old version) AG-100D for a few years and the AG-300 sounds better, less muddy. Have used a mic through it too and it sounds quite good. I bought mine directly from Carvin, brown kinda-leather looking cabinet, very nice and understated. I don't use much in the way of effects except a bit of reverb. Read the owner's manual to figure out some of the settings. Overall, it's an above average fairly small acoustic amp, no too heavy or bulky to carry. FWIW, I've owned about a dozen smaller acoustic amps in the last 10 years including a couple AERs and this one is the best I've used. Would love to get a Bose L1 system but the ol' bank account won't allow for that....yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification