The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 PM

Default NBD... Bee Bass GrooveBee is here!

I'm excited! I won a GrooveBee from Bee Bass today on ebay directly from the builder. I've been gassing for a Bee for a long time and really love the sound of their fretless basses. He said the body is Papau New Guinea mahogany and the fingerboard is jotoba with maple lines, coated with CA. Hipshot model A bridge with Ultralite tuners. Delano quad coil Xtender pickup. 6lbs 12oz.

here's a video of the bass...

that's me on guitar

Last edited by royd; 12-10-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:45 PM

I like what the tattoo world would call the biomechanical look of the thing!
Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 PM

Default NBD - Bee Bass GrooveBee is here

It arrived last thursday and I played it at a showcase on Friday evening, backing up a singer/songwriter, and again on Sunday in a church band.

I had owned fretless basses before and have always loved the mwah when played by a good player. I wasn't really a bass player then - more a guitar player, playing at the bass - and all but one weren't very good instruments so they didn't work for me. About three years ago I began to play bass more seriously and the GAS for a good fretless grew - the call of the mwah. I fell in love with what I had seen of Bee Basses but they were beyond my budget. This one came up on ebay for a very good price and I jumped on it even though it was still beyond my budget.

The bass is just gorgeous. An artist friend saw it and remarked that it clearly is a piece of functional sculpture. It is. It plays very easily. The mwah is there even for a novice. Intonation is not so difficult as long as I pay attention. It does have fretlines although they are very subtle. The pup is an unusual Delano Xtender. It sounds killer. It is a modern sound but a lot less polite than my fretted bass - a USA Cirrus. The Cirrus is not a bad bass at all, but it may be going up for sale and I may switch to fretless exclusively. I'll give that a few more weeks before I decide for sure.
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
bass guitar, bee bass