The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-24-2014, 02:22 AM

As an experiment, I once installed 4 pickups in my guitar. One magnetic, one internal mic, one soundboard transducer and one under-saddle transducer, basically all types of pickups available today except external mics. And the result was phenomenal!

My experience is that each type of pickup captures a certain part of the whole guitar sound. By combining all 4 signals together, I could get a sound that really touched me. Critical EQ was not needed if the ratio of the 4 sources were correct. I truly believe that you can get the absolute best sound in this way.

However it was too complicated to be used in a live situation and I finally went back to a mag+mic combination. But I swear to myself that one day if I become a professional guitarist I will come back to this idea. Pretty crazy.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_guitar View Post
As an experiment, I once installed 4 pickups in my guitar. One magnetic, one internal mic, one soundboard transducer and one under-saddle transducer, basically all types of pickups available today except external mics. And the result was phenomenal!

My experience is that each type of pickup captures a certain part of the whole guitar sound. By combining all 4 signals together, I could get a sound that really touched me. Critical EQ was not needed if the ratio of the 4 sources were correct. I truly believe that you can get the absolute best sound in this way.

However it was too complicated to be used in a live situation and I finally went back to a mag+mic combination. But I swear to myself that one day if I become a professional guitarist I will come back to this idea. Pretty crazy.
How did you set that all up? Did you just wire two pickups together (mag/SBT + UST+mic) and run out of two stereo output jacks? I am not surprised that this sounded good though. I remember seeing a video on YouTube that was done by Jason Swanson where he compared the Lyric, K&K pure mini and Fishman Matrix. At the end of the video he did a blend of all three and I thought it was an incredibly natural but full tone.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
How did you set that all up?
Two stereo outs, with Mag+mic on one channel, and SBT+UST on another one. I prefer passive pickups, so I did the wiring in this way to minimize crosstalk.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm a Schatten HFN fan. The latest one, the Artist VT, with endpin preamp and soundhole Vol & Tone Control works great for me.

http://www.schattendesign.com/HFN-Artist.htm

It's a soundboard transducer. Looks like and i-beam. But sounds much better. Very similar to K&K. And the install is easy and reversible.
+1 on the Schatten. I will say that I found it doesn't work as well in Parlor size guitars for whatever reason (in my experience).

That said, I have a HFN in my Gardiner Concert (OM size), Taylor GA6, and Pono 0000. Great pickup and dead easy to install.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 PM

I spent literally a few thousand dollars (maybe more than a few) in my guitar playing life trying out several amplified combinations of very popular pickups, (I even own a Ford F-150) preamps and amps in the many guitars I have owned. I have learned a lot and have enjoyed the journey. Since I don't drink, smoke or gamble and have other expensive hobbies I was able to justify it to my wife and she obliged me. I have had some of the best that money could buy. What I learned was:

1) Each system had a bit of a learning curve to make it sound it's best. It takes work to get the best out of any system.
2) Some gear do not play together well.
3) Guitar Center will take anything back within 30 days.
4) Everybody's ear is different. (My best guitar playing buddy doesn't like my acoustic sound and I hate his too.
5) No system was perfect. Many have good points and bad points.
6) The KISS (keep it simple stupid) method has merit. This is where I am at now and plan to stay.

My recommendation: Describe in pinpoint detail in what characteristics you want in your guitar sound, where you want to plug in, in what situations (solo, band, ensemble, etc.) budget, Simple vs complex, and then pose the question again. There are systems that will fit the bill better than others depending on your needs. People here are not blowing smoke. They just need more info. Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I spent literally a few thousand dollars (maybe more than a few) in my guitar playing life trying out several amplified combinations of very popular pickups, (I even own a Ford F-150) preamps and amps in the many guitars I have owned. I have learned a lot and have enjoyed the journey. Since I don't drink, smoke or gamble and have other expensive hobbies I was able to justify it to my wife and she obliged me. I have had some of the best that money could buy. What I learned was:

1) Each system had a bit of a learning curve to make it sound it's best. It takes work to get the best out of any system.
2) Some gear do not play together well.
3) Guitar Center will take anything back within 30 days.
4) Everybody's ear is different. (My best guitar playing buddy doesn't like my acoustic sound and I hate his too.
5) No system was perfect. Many have good points and bad points.
6) The KISS (keep it simple stupid) method has merit. This is where I am at now and plan to stay.

My recommendation: Describe in pinpoint detail in what characteristics you want in your guitar sound, where you want to plug in, in what situations (solo, band, ensemble, etc.) budget, Simple vs complex, and then pose the question again. There are systems that will fit the bill better than others depending on your needs. People here are not blowing smoke. They just need more info. Good luck.
You make some excellent points. I especially like #4, which just sums everything up. I will add that in my personal experience, my likes in terms of tone have changed throughout the years as well. I remember when I switched from the ES system to the Fishman Matrix Blend I was in love with my tone. Over time the UST Matrix started to bug me and I wanted something new.

With that said, you mentioned the journey being a fun one. I actually find acoustic pickups to be the number one frustration for me. I would love to say that I have enjoyed trying different systems but honestly I still have not found one that works for me and it's getting painful lol.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Sorry but nothing beats a GMC Sierra.2500 HD diesel.best pickup out there.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I think I'll start with a K & K mini and I can add something later if desired. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.

The pickup truck jokes never get old so keep 'em coming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification