The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2014, 10:25 AM

Default Contact Mic for Multiple Instruments

I've got a few acoustic stringed instruments I'd like to possibly amplify. Probably use a real mic to record, but might also try a contact mic.

Standard acoustic 6 and 12 string guitars, resonator guitar, mandolin, banjo, autoharp, uke, dulcimer.

Thinking a contact mic might be a good choice that I can swap between instruments. Any suggestions???
Old 11-21-2014, 11:01 AM

I tried to make this work and just couldn't pull it off. The most serious attempt I made was with a Schertler and it just didn't work for me. It took longer to transfer the mic than I expected and I wasn't comfortable with that in front of an audience.

I eventually put pickups in each instrument I wanted to use. I still plug into the same preamp so I only require one channel from the house and monitor mix.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

The only "contact mic" I've tried is the Shertler Dyn-G. It never worked very well for me. You can hear samples on my pickup page. It has a pretty boxy sound and needs lots of EQ, and it's not that easy to deal with - sticks on the bridge with putty. Another option is an attachable mic, and there are a number of those. Look the K&K Meridian, DPA 4099, as well as various clip on mics from AT, Radio Shack, and more. But if you can use those, a mic on a stand is a perfectly good option as well, and can sound spectacular if your playing environment allows it. Otherwise, I'd just put a pickup in each guitar and be done with it. Just plugging in will probably be a lot less hassle that detaching and reattaching any stick-on mic.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:15 AM

I have the Schertler Dyn-G and K&K Meridian. Not sure that all those instruments would work well with just one. The mount for the Meridian is pretty guitar centric. But sounds very natural as mics do. The Dyn-G is more flexible given the putty mounting. I find it works great puttied to the inside of the wood rim of my banjo. Good preamp with EQ a must. The Schertler can be good but takes a lot of experimenting as to location. I think it really is the only thing that could do it all for you but there would be compromises to make. You can get them on Ebay used if your patient. Schertler makes a new very expensive contact mic that intrigues the heck out of me plus their new preamps. But it's a $1000 to experiment too much for me, see below.

http://www.schertler.com/pickups/dyn...dyn-universal/

http://youtu.be/oSdwu4E37Ik
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-22-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:42 AM

I bought a Cherub violin pickup from Amazon for $7. It clips on to the F-hole. I wanted to use it for a Gold Tone Mando-guitar.

I haven't gigged with it, but it tested well and was surprisingly loud, It is super east to "install" and transfer from instrument to instrument, but I don't know how it would sound on some of the things you're playing. Also, there's no on/off or volume and the cable is kind of flimsy and not especially long. But, $7. Jeez.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Myers Industries makes a contact microphone that comes with three different attachment systems. Another of their models comes with flexible mini-gooseneck. Check them out on eBay.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Anyone have an AKG C411 contact mic that can comment?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification