The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-25-2015, 08:33 AM

Yes, the world is getting happier. Poverty rates are going down, the child death rate is declining and life spans are increasing. That is in the aggregate. There are areas that don’t reflect that trend and places where life is miserable but, in general, the world is a happier one.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
If happiness is your goal there's a good chance you'll never be happy. Live in the here and now. Keep your gratitude greater than your expectations and every day will be a good day. To me happiness is such a moving target that I don't use it as a gauge or benchmark in my daily life, though if you're happy and you know it clap your hands. 👏👏👏👏👏
I agree that happiness is a lousy goal. It is best regarded as a pleasant side effect that accrues from other decisions and endeavors.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Well, it seems that more and more people are figuring out "Who" is in charge of the way they feel... of course, EACH of us are in charge of ourselves.

Might seem a bit simplistic or sophomoric, and I think that's the brilliance of the "design" of our vibrational, attraction-based physical time-space reality...

Once one actually "groks" and embraces that THEY ARE IN CHARGE of how they feel, moment to moment, then it simply becomes a choice to be made, along with all the other choices that we all make, day in and day out.

I can say, unequivocally, that I am a LOT happier since I stopped watching "news" programs and reading newspapers! The great majority of those items/shows focus on the absolute worst 3% of what's going on in this world... try it! You'll like it! And believe me, IF and when something REALLY important happens, you WILL know... because everyone around you will talk about it.

One of the hardest ideas for me to grasp is the concept that "what anyone else is doing" is really NONE OF MY BUSINESS...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-25-2015, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

One more thing to consider ...

For some reason (I honestly don't know why this is), we collectively (i.e. not everybody, but overall in our culture) seem to think it is somehow more sophisticated to see the negative rather than focusing on the positive. It is often considered naive for a person to have a consistently positive outlook, as if that person is ignoring the "real world". We have, on occasion, seen some of this in this forum.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-25-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
we collectively ... seem to think it is somehow more sophisticated to see the negative rather than focusing on the positive.
This may be a natural reaction to the fact that mainstream media and governments in general appear largely oblivious to the severity of the combined resource bottle-necks rapidly approaching our civilization.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:31 PM

There are too many people who don't WANT the world being happier.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
There are too many people who don't WANT the world being happier.
That is an interesting observation.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
That is an interesting observation.
I would expand, but the rules won't let me.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
This may be a natural reaction to the fact that mainstream media and governments in general appear largely oblivious to the severity of the combined resource bottle-necks rapidly approaching our civilization.
It is not necessary to be unhappy to work for change. One can merely see what is foolish or corrupt, and strive to change it. Working to change things while being unhappy is no more effective than working to change things while being happy. It is neither necessary nor helpful to be unhappy in this moment.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
One more thing to consider ...

For some reason (I honestly don't know why this is), we collectively (i.e. not everybody, but overall in our culture) seem to think it is somehow more sophisticated to see the negative rather than focusing on the positive. It is often considered naive for a person to have a consistently positive outlook, as if that person is ignoring the "real world". We have, on occasion, seen some of this in this forum.

Tony
It's a reaction to the don't worry be happy meme.. combined with the position that the only thing to do is what makes you happy in the immediate moment. It's a reaction to the instant gratification that seems to be the goal for many people rather than working hard over time.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 05-25-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
It is not necessary to be unhappy to work for change.
I'm not suggesting that it is. I'm suggesting that being part of the minority who are aware of just how bad things are likely get for the vast majority of our species can lead one to believe that working for change is futile... and that can make people unhappy. (ETA - I'm an optimist by nature, a pessimist in the "plan for the worst case" sense by policy, and very uncertain about the coming several centuries. My most profound wish is that I could stick around to see how it all turns out.)

I'm reminded of one of my favourite writers, a guy who IIRC gave up a career in marine zoology because what he saw happening to the the oceans was too depressing. Needless to say, his fiction can be kind of dark. Good, though.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Is the "WORLD" happier ? Or just some folk in the USA?

As we write, thousands of people are sailing across the Mediterreanean sea in opoor boats to get away from North Africa to Italy, and Greece ....(both bankrupt) ... or anywhere but their homes.

In Syria, and Iraq there is an (un)holy war being waged. Millions (literally) are homeless and hungry because of the above.

In Ukraine people are fighting and dying due to a sad civil war influenced by Russia and (just possibly) the EU.

In many parts of Africa people are starving or oppressed or fighting.

InNepal, poor and less poor people are trying to cope with a country destroyed by earthquake and thedeaths of thousands.

There are wars, famine, disease all over this planet - many of which we are unaware of.

Me? I am 67,Ihave a chronic condition,and have had bouts of illness since childhood. I have lost loves, opportunity and wealth .................................................. but, I have NEVER been hungry (I mean really hungry) nor homeless,nor have I been scared of being kiled by bombs (well, only once) or by invading armies as did my parents.

Is my life perfect? NO. Am I fulfilled? No.

However, I count myself amongst the most fortunate of men.

Happy .... what gives us the right to be unhappy?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
we collectively......seem to think it is somehow more sophisticated to see the negative rather than focusing on the positive.

Tony
I think many such people generally feel that their negativity shows the world just how sensitive and caring they are. I know that this was the case for me for many years. In truth, I was the farthest thing from being sensitive and caring.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 05-25-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
I would expand, but the rules won't let me.

Even more interesting - you've got us wondering now which precise rule your expanded version would break!
Old 05-25-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
It is not necessary to be unhappy to work for change. One can merely see what is foolish or corrupt, and strive to change it. Working to change things while being unhappy is no more effective than working to change things while being happy. It is neither necessary nor helpful to be unhappy in this moment.
I'm lost!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic