The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
No, when they do that, I slow down until they back off.
You never know why somebody is speeding. They might be on the way to the hospital or they might be late for work. Why not just move over and let them pass?
Christian
Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
How about those that come to a complete stop when in the merge lane going into regular traffic flow ? Talk about frustration , this happens a lot in Spokane , people don't have a clue how to merge ,

H
I've only seen that around here when traffic is crawling. At that point, it should ideally work like a zipper, with people slowly driving to the end of the on-ramp and people in the right-hand lane letting one merger in at a time. In reality, though, many people unfortunately treat it like a competition, with maybe every 10th car at best letting someone merge instead of trying to close the gap.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I fail to see how making it easier for speeders to break the law and endanger the people around them could possible result in safer road conditions.
because many of these drivers will try and find another, less safe, way to pass.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
You never know why somebody is speeding. They might be on the way to the hospital or they might be late for work. Why not just move over and let them pass?
Well, I can already hear the objection to the latter reason, though the speeder's reason ultimately shouldn't matter since our safety is the main reason to pull over. But if that's not reason enough, the hospital scenario is a very good point. We just never know.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
Because, for the third time, the highways I drive on are one lane in each direction, and there's nowhere to pull over to?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Because, for the third time, the highways I drive on are one lane in each direction, and there's nowhere to pull over to?
There's no shoulder or breakdown lane anywhere on this highway?!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 PM

where's that breathe thread?

ahhh.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
because many of these drivers will try and find another, less safe, way to pass.
I'd love to see solid research that indicates enabling speeders by obliging people who are not speeding to pull over for them creates demonstrably safer roads than strictly enforced speed limits. Not only do I doubt it exists, I doubt it is possible... but I'm willing to be surprised by hard data.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
There's no shoulder or breakdown lane anywhere on this highway?!
There's a bit of shoulder, but the only time it is used to allow passing is by slow agricultural equipment that takes up more than one lane. It's typical provincial trunk highway, one lane in each direction, passing allowed in most places other than intersections.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
I'd love to see solid research that indicates enabling speeders by obliging people who are not speeding to pull over for them creates demonstrably safer roads than strictly enforced speed limits. Not only do I doubt it exists, I doubt it is possible... but I'm willing to be surprised by hard data.
To me, it's just common sense. What's more dangerous? A calm speeder with a free, straight path or an enraged speeder (due to left-lane police) trying to cut in and out of traffic through multiple lanes to make his own path?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Well, I can already hear the objection to the latter reason, though the speeder's reason ultimately shouldn't matter since our safety is the main reason to pull over. But if that's not reason enough, the hospital scenario is a very good point. We just never know.
Of course, you are right. Scratch that late-for-work situation as a justified reason for speeding.
Christian
Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
There's a bit of shoulder, but the only time it is used to allow passing is by slow agricultural equipment that takes up more than one lane. It's typical provincial trunk highway, one lane in each direction, passing allowed in most places other than intersections.
Well, the context was that this shoulder is where you would pull over to let the tailgater pass.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 PM

I think the real reason for most accidents is speeding and tailgating. I have decided to drive the speed limit, after getting too many tickets as well as arriving stressed to work. I have discovered I no longer worry about getting stopped by police and I no longer feel worn when I get to work.

The things I want to make clear is I drive in the right lane.. And have stopped caring what the driver behind me does. I will drive safe make sure I leave space between vehicles. I will use my turn\lane change signal and I will drive with caution.

I have learned that I can't make the other driver on the road not act like an idiot but I will try my best not to be one.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
To me, it's just common sense. What's more dangerous? A calm speeder with a free, straight path or an enraged speeder (due to left-lane police) trying to cut in and out of traffic through multiple lanes to make his own path?
I'm not sure that isn't a false dichotomy. From a law enforcement resource point of view, the alternatives offered are the enforcement of restrictions on speeding - which is very well demonstrated to both cause accidents and worsen their consequences - or the diversion of law enforcement resources to effectively enable speeders. That does not sit well with me; if it were any other crime, enabling would be called conspiracy.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Well, the context was that this shoulder is where you would pull over to let the tailgater pass.
I don't like rewarding inappropriate behaviour.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic