The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
I think any law that enables speeders is a bad law.

Once or twice a week I drive to my parents' place, and about 45 minutes each way is on undivided highway with one lane in each direction. I drive the speed limit or slower, depending on conditions, and every now and again someone will come up from behind and flick their lights at me. I'm under no obligation to break the law just so they can do the same.
That's a different situation. This slow poke law seems to apply to roads with two lanes or more. If you're driving on a highway with one lane each direction you could pull over to let faster cars pass you.
Christian
Old 05-18-2015, 05:47 PM

Even so I think the law is misguided. I don't see that I should be under any legal compulsion to facilitate someone else's illegal deed.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Even so I think the law is misguided. I don't see that I should be under any legal compulsion to facilitate someone else's illegal deed.
So, you'd rather someone follow you at a VERY unsafe distance (unsafe for both you and them)? It's one thing if you refuse to pull over, and they very quickly relent and slow down. But if not, how are you doing anything good by not pulling over (again, assuming that it is safe to do so at the time)? Do you really think they are saying to themselves (as they are tailgating you), "Wow, this guy has really made me re-think my speeding ways!" I don't think so. If anything, they are muttering all kinds of four-letter words, growing more frustrated, and are very likely to not only drive even faster once they can pass you, but likely do something even more dangerous out of frustration.

I guess I should also state the obvious--that a "slow poke" law doesn't negate speeding laws. I think both should be enforced very strictly.

When driving thousands of pounds of metal, my goal is to remove myself from any dangerous situations, not perpetuate my involvement with them. Passive-aggressiveness is a dangerous thing, and as tempting as it may be to engage in, it is foolish.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
it a question of safety. if this law results in safer road conditions, everybody wins.

by moving over you are in no way facilitating someone else's illegal deed, you are simply not actively trying to prevent it.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
So, you'd rather someone follow you at a VERY unsafe distance (unsafe for both you and them)? It's one thing if you refuse to pull over, and they very quickly relent and slow down. But if not, how are you doing anything good by not pulling over (again, assuming that it is safe to do so at the time)? Do you really think they are saying to themselves (as they are tailgating you), "Wow, this guy has really made me re-think my speeding ways!" I don't think so. If anything, they are muttering all kinds of four-letter words, growing more frustrated, and are very likely to not only drive even faster once they can pass you, but likely do something even more dangerous out of frustration.

I guess I should also state the obvious--that a "slow poke" law doesn't negate speeding laws. I think both should be enforced very strictly.

When driving thousands of pounds of metal, my goal is to remove myself from any dangerous situations, not perpetuate my involvement with them. Passive-aggressiveness is a dangerous thing!
I agree. I think passive aggressive drivers are as dangerous as speeders.
Christian
Old 05-18-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
I’ll go you one better. Last week I was waiting for the green light at an intersection, in the left lane (which is sometimes used to turn left, sometimes to go straight ahead). The right lane at that intersection is painted for right-turn-only. Light turns green, I go ahead, only to have some idiot pull around me from the right lane and then he turns LEFT in front of me!!! I managed to avoid him before I could even think to honk the horn, yell or flip him off.
Sounds like a Staten Island transplant - I encounter at least a half-dozen jerks like that every day going to/from work, and the only place I've ever seen more sheer attitude was on the DC Beltway...
Old 05-18-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
how does it work with 3 or more lanes all going in the same direction? is there 1 passing lane? or are all except the rightmost passing lanes? or maybe 1 exit lane, 1 slow lane, and the rest passing lanes?
For purposes of
31 this Code section, 'passing lane' means the most left-hand lane other than a high occupancy
32 vehicle lane.

here is the official document:
http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20132014/143318.pdf
Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 PM

Slow pokes in the travel lane - people with 1000 grocery items in the Express Checkout - People that deposit mega loogies on sidewalks - dog poop that owners don't pick up ,

H
Old 05-18-2015, 06:08 PM

Almost anywhere I've lived, such a law is usually impractical, simply because there's too much traffic volume to treat the left-most line as solely a passing lane.

Still, for the most part, people treat the left lane as the "fast lane", and the right lane as the "slow lane", with any lanes in between them as the "moderate lanes".

But then there's always somebody (usually a white-haired lady) who was taught that you stay in the left lane if you have more than 1/2 mile to your exit, and only when within 1/2 mile of your exit to you move to the right lane.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
...But then there's always somebody (usually a white-haired lady) who was taught that you stay in the left lane if you have more than 1/2 mile to your exit, and only when within 1/2 mile of your exit to you move to the right lane.
wait, you're a white haired lady?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
wait, you're a white haired lady?
Umm, nope.

I'm the guy cruising past about 95% of traffic. Or at least attempting to.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
people with 1000 grocery items in the Express Checkout
One time it was almost literally that as I waited with frozen food. I said something to the cashier 30 minutes later when I finally was checking out, and she says they're not allowed to enforce the 20-items or less sign Do they really think people are going to not buy their groceries because they're asked by the staff to be considerate of others and follow the posted signs? SMH...

Ok, rabbit trail followed, and now back to slow pokes
Old 05-18-2015, 06:21 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Almost anywhere I've lived, such a law is usually impractical, simply because there's too much traffic volume to treat the left-most line as solely a passing lane.
Obviously there are many factors involved at different times, but I believe MANY times that this traffic congestion is caused in large part by this very issue. Car after car is slowed down by the "left-lane police" until it becomes a huge pack.

But for whatever the reason the congestion is there, it doesn't make the law "impractical," but rather just not applicable to you at that specific point. It depends on your exact route and the time you're driving it.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:29 PM

I was behind an older driver doing about half the legal 60 k.p.h. posted speed limit in a built-up area.
He just suddenly stopped in the middle of the road.
No reason.
Then continued driving at 30 k.p.h.
I decided to overtake this unpredictable hazard.
In doing so I seen by a Highway Patrol car travelling in the opposite direction.
He U-turned and pulled me over.
He asked why was I overtaking in a 60 k.p.h. zone?
I asked him did he see the old guy who stopped/started and was driving at 30 k.p.h.?
"There's no law against driving under the speed limit" was his angry reply.
I just hope that old driver doesn't wander into the 100 k.p.h. highway speed zone in front of a log truck and decide to stop/start again.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I was behind an older driver doing about half the legal 60 k.p.h. posted speed limit in a built-up area.
He just suddenly stopped in the middle of the road.
No reason.
Then continued driving at 30 k.p.h.
I decided to overtake this unpredictable menance.
In doing so I seen by a Highway Patrol car travelling in the opposite direction.
He U-turned and pulled me over.
He asked why was I overtaking in a 60 k.p.h. zone?
I asked him did he see the old guy who stopped/started and was driving at 30 k.p.h.?
"There's no law against driving under the speed limit" was his angry reply.
I just hope that old stop/start driver doesn't wander into the 100 k.p.h. highway speed zone in front of a log truck.
Why would the posted speed limit--whether slow or fast--have any relevance to you overtaking a driver going under it? I guess I'm confused as to what law the highway patrol officer thought you were breaking...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic