The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Moving to a more plant-based diet

Hey all, wanted to report in on some early success I’ve had in moving to a more plant-based diet. I won’t call it vegetarian, as I plan to eat seafood and some dairy, but I have gone off all red meat and poultry, and have totally cut out processed food at this point. I’ve done a lot of reading about various dietary strategies, and long-term, it really seems clear from reading summaries of multiple studies that the best long-term heart and overall health is achieved using vegetarian or mediterranean diets. I did the paleo diet for a while, with mixed success and a fairly strong dropoff in athletic performance from which it took over a month to recover. I know the paleo diet works well as a weight-loss strategy, many people have had a lot of success with it, and I’ve dropped weight with it in the past. I think any diet which reduces or eliminates processed food is great, so I’m not interested in pushing what I’m doing but rather just sharing some short-term success. It does seem clear that there are some interesting ideas about what a paleo diet consisted of way back when. Seems wildly location-dependent, in that in norther fishing cultures people lived primarily off fish and meat, where most other cultures lived mostly off of plants with the occasional meat or egg supplement as they found it.

Anyway, I started a week ago. My stats at that time were 6’ 2”, 212 lbs with about 21.5% body fat. Not in any way horrible or unhealthy, but starting to edge up there. BMI at about 26 which is overweight. Definitely has started affecting athletic performance in cycling and surfing as well as other sports, carring around well over 200 lbs.

In the weeks before I had stopped drinking alcohol and stopped using...herbal remedies...if you follow. Hey, it’s California, ya know? Didn’t see any change from that which I could determine.

It’s been a week this morning, and the effect has been pretty significant, at least for me. I’m now at 208 lbs, which is a much quicker drop than I’d anticipated. Not sure I’ve ever dropped 4 pounds in a week, and I haven’t been particularly hungry at any point. Body fat is now 18.5% which I’m determining from the measurement on a FitBit Aria scale. It’s been consistent and dropping, and sounds about right. Reputed to be pretty accurate from what I can glean online. Looking to get to 190-195 and see what that feels like. Actually interested to see where I settle naturally with this eating pattern and seeing how it affects how I feel overall. Right now I’m feeling great and having fun with new foods from the Forks over Knives app. Spent most of Superbowl Sunday concocting new dishes.

We shall see how it goes.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

...good onya mate.....it's amazing how quickly you're feeling the benefits isn't it?....I discovered the nutritarian plant based diet about five years ago and though I stray occasionally..(because I'm of Italian ancestry and love to eat)...I'm so much healthier and stronger than I was before...dr mark fuhrman lays out the science of micro nutrients And how the body uses them nicely....I'm a believer....
Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

In Dec. 2013, after reading the book "Grain Brain", I started following the recommended diet at the end. At that time I was primarily vegetarian, eating cheese, lots of nuts and seeds for protein, but not much higher on the food chain.

I added eggs, fish, and some turkey, kept eating lots of raw cashews, almonds, and sunflower seeds, greens and veggies (but no potatos, carrots, etc.) extra dark chocolate as a snack, avacado, no processed carbs, very minimal fruit, mainly berries, and an occasional serving of whole grains like rice or quinoa, and nothing with gluten.

Starting at over 180, I was basically fit but very overweight for me. I have a solid body type, but at 5'5" it was causing problems. Eating as much as I wanted, the pounds came off effortlessly. By June I was at 160. On a whim, I tried on my favorite old jeans, and they fit. In the pocket was a receipt for 3/2004. It was so great to be back in them after 10 years!

The most interesting thing for me, was that after a few weeks, I had much more stable energy, and felt very satisfied. It was also a diet I could follow anywhere, important for me as I travel a fair amount. And if I ate any quantity of something not on the diet, I felt crappy almost immediately.

Since the summer, I've been staying consistently around 156. That's an ideal weight for me. I'm back in all my old clothes.

Unlike the last two times I dropped that much weight, when I added in a lot of exercise trail running and mountain biking, and at the same time ate less, I did no extra exercise, and ate as much as I wanted.

For the last few months, I've experimented with certain foods in more quantity than recommended, mainly fruit that I really like, and my weight has stayed stable. However if I eat a big helping of whole grains, or some beans and rice, I can count on my weight going up a few pounds. It will slowly go back down over the next two days. I don't know exactly why, and it could just be because it's taking longer to pass through my digestive track.

From what I've read and experienced, the key is to cut out processed carbs, bread, pasta, etc. I'm not so sure about the gluten free part, but I do feel better when I'm not eating grain products with gluten. One very important piece of information in the book, was that gluten free bread and pasta has just as much processed carbs. Once your body switches to burning fat instead of mainly carbs, then the fat doesn't get stored.

I realize that there is a wide variety of foods and diets that may work well for one person, but not another. I'm glad I found one that works well for me, and feel so much better without all that extra weight. My plan for this year is to exercise more, and I may drop a few pounds, which will put me in thin territory. One thing I've noticed, as well as one of my sons who bikes a lot, is that if you are going to do more intense exercise, you need some carbs before and after, to supplement the glycogen used. My understanding is that it is harder for the body to make and store enough glycogen from fat, to supply enough for extreme exercise.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-02-2015, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Hey Sean,

That's really interesting because that book Grain Brain was the very thing that sent me on the current exploration. My wife got it for me for Christmas, probably partly because my Mom died a couple of years ago from Alzheimers, and she knew I had been working with a paleo diet of sorts recently.

There are a lot of claims in that book about grain causing inflammation and a host of other issues, and I wanted to read what I could about those questions. My research led me in the opposite direction, and I could find nothing from long-term scientific studies to support his claims regarding Alzheimers and inflammation. What I did find pointed me in the direction I'm going now.

I still have lingering questions about how much grain to put into my diet, but there is no question whatsoever from the science that cutting out red meat is a good thing, both for weight and long-term health. There also seems to be a rather large body of evidence that reducing meat overall and replacing it with plant-based and whole grain foods is the most healthy way to go overall. The addition of legumes has been a nice add for me as well, and I've found a lot of great, tasty and cheap dishes with that, so if nothing else I have a more interesting diet right now.

There is also a lot of science which suggests the mediterranean diet with a lot of plants, whole foods, vegetable oils, some grains and lean meat and fish is great for you as well. I may ultimately move in that direction, but I think what's been great for me is to realize I don't need to eat anywhere near as much meat as I have been.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and I'm really glad you have found a diet that's working well for you. Not sure where I'll end up, it's a journey and I'm learning all the time.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
One thing I've noticed, as well as one of my sons who bikes a lot, is that if you are going to do more intense exercise, you need some carbs before and after, to supplement the glycogen used. My understanding is that it is harder for the body to make and store enough glycogen from fat, to supply enough for extreme exercise.
This is what killed the paleo diet for me. My cycling performance dropped through the floor, presumably because I wasn't getting enough carbs. My times on our local hill dropped by 15% in a matter of a week.

Once I started feeding my body what it needed for that exercise, it started coming back, but took a while.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Thumbs up

"From what I've read and experienced, the key is to cut out processed carbs, bread, pasta, etc. I'm not so sure about the gluten free part, but I do feel better when I'm not eating grain products with gluten. One very important piece of information in the book, was that gluten free bread and pasta has just as much processed carbs. Once your body switches to burning fat instead of mainly carbs, then the fat doesn't get stored."

Found this to be true for me as well. The modification of wheat is an eye opener......
Old 02-02-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...good onya mate.....it's amazing how quickly you're feeling the benefits isn't it?....I discovered the nutritarian plant based diet about five years ago and though I stray occasionally..(because I'm of Italian ancestry and love to eat)...I'm so much healthier and stronger than I was before...dr mark fuhrman lays out the science of micro nutrients And how the body uses them nicely....I'm a believer....
Mark Fuhrman, did he used to be a cop? I'm thinking of Rodney King, the 80's......? Oops, I believe his name is Dr. Joel Fuhrman, now that I investigated further.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:03 PM

Human body evolved to metabolize all kinds of food. Whatever it takes to survive. Your body will metabolize pretty much anything, and I've noticed that no matter what I eat as long as eat in moderation and small portions I feel great. Giving your body just enough to get it going until the next meal and so on.
Every diet, fad, counting calories, strict regime etc.. just adds additional stress, yes you might lose weight, but develop stress related problems. So I don't fret about it as long as I eat in moderation. Your body can deal with small amounts of anything, be that processed or not, as long as you don't overload it. I honestly feel best after a nice steak. But no starches or alcohol with it. Just plain steak. It's like someone injected me with life.

My grandfather always said: eat whatever your heart desires, but leave the plate before you get full.

Last edited by 220volt; 02-02-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:54 PM

I did something similar a few years ago. All my cholesterol numbers improved to the point that I am pretty much right on the limits. Significant improvement.

I eat dairy and still eat fish a few times a week. I also stay away from most grains and eat a relatively low carb diet. Most of my carbs come from nuts and fruit.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 PM

Default Moving to a more plant-based diet

Did this for about a year and a half. Felt amazing. Lost weight. Got wife pregnant. She got cravings and I fell off the wagon because I'm weak. Never went back, and I regret it.

Someday though I'll get back on it. We gotta wait until the kids are older because eating a plant-based diet is the most inconvenient way to eat when one has a terrible schedule like ours. I'm thinking one more year and I'll be able to start taking care of myself better.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 PM

I’m finding that if I do let up and eat fruit other than berries, high-glycemic starchy carbs, or even more than token amounts of high-fiber low-glycemic starches, my weight creeps back up. I’m getting really bored with eggs or fish for breakfast but every bowl of cereal puts a pound back on me. I even ate a tangerine or two, and that caused me to crave sweets again. Ditto with carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes. If I drink any dairy milk other than diluted cream, half and half or the kind treated to be low-sugar/high-protein, I gain weight.

Ideally, I’d like my diet to be more plant-based, if mostly for ethical reasons--the abuses committed in the commercial production of conventional meat, poultry, eggs and dairy. But a diet such as Fuhrman’s--nothing but fruit and vegetables, not even fats & oils--is boring as hell to me and impossible to follow for even the most minimally social person. (I can easily live without fast food or a trip to Denny’s. But never again eating at a good restaurant? Shoot me now). And the other vegetarian and vegan diets are too grain-dependent for me to keep obesity at bay.

Anyone who tells you it’s all a simple matter of calories in vs. calories out has failed to consider that not every “calorie” gets taken in, processed, stored and expended equally. The science has been clear on that for years now--and those who insist on the old dogma usually have a dog in the fight, namely some connection to the commercial food industry or agribusiness. The less starch and sugar people eat, the less money these folks--and their clients--make.

BTW, “gluten-free” is NOT for weight loss--in fact, the starches usually substituted for wheat, rye, millet, spelt and oats are simpler and higher glycemic-impact. You might as well be mainlining sugar. If you do not have celiac disease and feel better eliminating gluten, it’s probably because you’re sensitive to wheat, which is a common allergen.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:34 AM

Thumbs up

"Anyone who tells you it’s all a simple matter of calories in vs. calories out has failed to consider that not every “calorie” gets taken in, processed, stored and expended equally. The science has been clear on that for years now-- If you do not have celiac disease and feel better eliminating gluten, it’s probably because you’re sensitive to wheat, which is a common allergen."

Amen..................
Old 02-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Did this for about a year and a half. Felt amazing. Lost weight. Got wife pregnant. She got cravings and I fell off the wagon because I'm weak. Never went back, and I regret it.

Someday though I'll get back on it. We gotta wait until the kids are older because eating a plant-based diet is the most inconvenient way to eat when one has a terrible schedule like ours. I'm thinking one more year and I'll be able to start taking care of myself better.
I hear you man. It was really hard to eat well when the kids were really small. They're 10 and 8 now so things have gotten a lot easier. The other big change has been working at a job that isn't a startup with the associated crazy hours. The commute happens to be better as well. Getting all that sorted out opened up time to explore more time-consuming dietary options.

Hang in there, you'll get back to it!
Old 02-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Guest 213

Hi, Dirk,

Thanks for sharing your story. I have also made some major changes recently in my diet and lifestyle. Up until mid-2009, I was around 175 lbs. at 6'0" I had never been overweight in my life. During a very stressful point in my life around that time, I started to overeat and form atrociously bad habits. Last year I topped out at 256 pounds. During this 5+ year period, I had several ups and downs with short-lived change, but lacked the will-power to continue.

Well, in the last half of 2014, I had several health scares that pushed me over the edge of the will-power hump. I started by ceasing all caffeine intake (not a coffee drinker, but cut out all sodas and caffeinated teas), but not much more change than that. That was good, of course, but eventually I realized that I need to make deeper changes.

For me, I needed to keep the change simple and realistic (from experience, I knew these were keys to the difference between a "diet" and a lifestyle change). On the food end, I have cut out snacking in between meals, save for a small portion of something healthy, such as some unsalted cashews, if I start to feel I'm dragging. In the morning, I take BarleyGreen, and I'm eating healthy proteins and grains for breakfast (vs. skipping breakfast as I often did), salads or oatmeal for lunch, and whatever for dinner (but much smaller portions than I used to have, and I try to include some steamed vegetables often). I am avoiding red meat and pork (not a big fan anyway), pizza, and anything else loaded with dairy, sodium, grease, meat, or white bread. I do eat a little chicken every other day or so in my salad. No fast food period. Drink only water and at most about a glass (8oz) of OJ per day if I'm not having other fruit.

On the exercise end, I have started walking everywhere I possibly can. I absolutely despise getting on a treadmill, and must be out in the fresh air (thankful I live in SC now, and not the northeast!). I also go bicycling on Saturday when I can. I have also stopped being a night owl, and get to bed around 10-11pm now instead of 1am-3am.

So far, I have dropped to 227 lbs. and my goal is to get down to around 170. Even at 227, I am feeling SO much better, and it feels great to be able to donate old clothes and fit into smaller pants (and even those are now starting to feel a bit loose) and shirts, including some that have been hanging dormant in my closet for years. Even my shoes feel a bit too big now. No more headaches either.

Best of all, I am able to incorporate these changes into my normal routine, and it's not something that's consuming my life.

Last edited by Guest 213; 02-03-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Hi, Dirk,

Thanks for sharing your story. I have also made some major changes recently in my diet and lifestyle. Up until mid-2009, I was around 175 lbs. at 6'0" I had never been overweight in my life. During a very stressful point in my life around that time, I started to overeat and form atrociously bad habits. Last year I topped out at 256 pounds. During this 5+ year period, I had several ups and downs with short-lived change, but lacked the will-power to continue.

Well, in the last half of 2014, I had several health scares that pushed me over the edge of the will-power hump. I started by ceasing all caffeine intake (not a coffee drinker, but cut out all sodas and caffeinated teas), but not much more change than that. That was good, of course, but eventually I realized that I need to make deeper changes.

For me, I needed to keep the change simple and realistic (from experience, I knew these were keys to the difference between a "diet" and a lifestyle change). On the food end, I have cut out snacking in between meals, save for a small portion of something healthy, such as some unsalted cashews, if I start to feel I'm dragging. In the morning, I take BarleyGreen, and I'm eating healthy proteins and grains for breakfast (vs. skipping breakfast as I often did), salads or oatmeal for lunch, and whatever for dinner (but much smaller portions than I used to have, and I try to include some steamed vegetables often). I am avoiding red meat and pork (not a big fan anyway), pizza, and anything else loaded with dairy, sodium, grease, meat, or white bread. I do eat a little chicken every other day or so in my salad. No fast food period. Drink only water and at most about a glass (8oz) of OJ per day if I'm not having other fruit.

On the exercise end, I have started walking everywhere I possibly can. I absolutely despise getting on a treadmill, and must be out in the fresh air (thankful I live in SC now, and not the northeast!). I also go bicycling on Saturday when I can. I have also stopped being a night owl, and get to bed around 10-11pm now instead of 1am-3am.

So far, I have dropped to 227 lbs. and my goal is to get down to around 170. Even at 227, I am feeling SO much better, and it feels great to be able to donate old clothes and fit into smaller pants (and even those are now starting to feel a bit loose) and shirts, including some that have been hanging dormant in my closet for years. Even my shoes feel a bit too big now. No more headaches either.

Best of all, I am able to incorporate these changes into my normal routine, and it's not something that's consuming my life.
Awesome to hear you're making such great progress! Also really good point about sleep, and that's another change I've also made recently which I'm sure has had benefit. Instead of falling asleep watching TV 'till 11:00 or 12:00, then waking up and hiking upstairs, I've just been going to bed at 9:00, watching one show and going to sleep at 10:00 with my wife.

She's a lot happier and it's another place where a bad habit has been replaced by a good one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic