The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Default Dear Guitar Stores,

I respectfully write you today to implore that you keep the strings on your guitars in 'at least playable' condition. I recently made a short jaunt to a reputable shop (not a Guitar Center or anything similar) that I had been meaning to visit for quite some time. Matter of fact, this store has been mentioned rather frequently by folks from my area of the world.

When I arrived, the Pavlovian saliva arrived quickly as I saw some guitars from builders whom I have not had the opportunity to play (Collings, Goodall, H&D, Beneteau, Gallagher, Bourgeois...). This excitement quickly evaporated as I picked up each one to discover old, rusty strings which, of course, had a major negative impact on the tone and playability of each of these instruments. While I may not have been in the market for one of these beauties on this day (I was actually looking for an entry-level 'beater' - same story on those), my mind can be easily swayed. Let's just say I suffer the same affliction as many of my peers in this arena.

After leaving this well-respected establishment, I couldn't help but wonder where this reputation came from. I'm not insinuating that every guitar store has to change strings on all their guitars every couple of weeks...but at least give me a ray of hope! Even the entry-level Larrivees that I was interested in didn't feel or sound anywhere close to what I've read and experienced (and all you Larry owners out there can't be wrong) due to poor instrument care. I'm not one who buys a guitar based on rep or 'inherent goodness'. I buy what feels and sounds best to me. If you're not willing to present your product in at least a 'best you can do' manner, then I am not willing to invest my money in what you're offering.

I understand that times are tight, and that such expenditures can be very costly. I also understand that you cannot really control your clientele and the respect that they show your inventory. But for the good of me and anyone else who might be interested in purchasing a new instrument, I implore you, please show a bit of professional pride.

Thanks,

AS

PS - I will not name names, and this only refers to one 'reputable' shop in my area. This experience upset me only because I was VERY stoked to try all of the above guitars in the only venue that is nearby that I am able to see them in one place. The strings and overall condition of these guitars suggested that they had not been attended to in 6 MONTHS or more. The shop is well-known, and that could be the reason for it - lots of people coming in for test drives after a greasy lunch. But as someone who holds any instrument with high regard, the condition of their entire inventory was appalling by anyone's standard.

'10 Bourgeois Custom OMC, '90-ish Lowden F22, '09 Simon & Patrick Folk Cutaway, '09 Recording King RO-06, '10 Paco Marin PM 395
'92 Epiphone Les Paul, '11 Grosh ElectraJet
Old 07-15-2010, 01:03 PM

I've said it before, but what the heck ... if I'm seriously looking to buy and find something I like I ask the shop to put new strings on it. I don't even mind paying for the strings (but never have had to). Five bucks is nothing on a $2K or better guitar ... for the shop or for me. But if I'm just "kickin' tires" then it makes no sense for either of us.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:06 PM

The owner of one high end shop I know, Hill Country Guitars, uses Elixers to keep the strings in good shape longer. He also doesn't hesitate to change them on the spot if he (or the shopper) notices they need it.

-Raf
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Every guitar manufacturer should just ship them with elixirs...would make everything a lot easier.
Epiphone MM-30
Italia Maranello Speedster
Old 07-15-2010, 01:21 PM

I think they should change the stirngs on every guitar they hang on their wall to Elixirs. At least those will sound good for a long time with infrequent playing. This is one of the reasons why Eastman, Tanglewood, Maton and Taylor guitars always seem to sound good...
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM

fwiw, I could care less and I don't want the red carpet treatment -if the strings are really, really, ripe (I'm talking dented, crusty, and brown), and I'm serious about buying it I might ask for some fresh strings. But I never have because I don't like new strings and their tone when just out of the pouch -gives me a false impression of the guitar and I've never played a guitar in a store that had really unplayable strings unless it was a WW1 era wall hanger.

what I do have beef with is the high actions set on most guitars which I think is a sales technique used to ensure a quick buzz free sale.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM

This shop is one of the worst offenders:

http://www.avenue-guitars.com/

hundreds of high end instruments in a tiny space. A huge amount of the gear has been there for some time, and it doesn't appear that any of the guitars I recently tried (Mostly mid-level Larrivee's, Guilds, Martins etc) has ever been close to having their strings changed. Never have so many good guitars sounded so bad due to rusted strings.

It's a joke and I almost felt tempted to tell the manufacturer's, because it hurts their brands too when I go to the guitar store and I can't really tell what the guitar sounds like because the strings are old and the guitar is dusty.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

The only problems with Elixirs are, a) some people hate the sound of coated strings, b) some manufacturers demand that you string their guitars with specific strings. I do empathize with the OP though.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I know that I am always much more tempted to buy a guitar I try out when it has new strings. But I understand the cost issues involved for the store in keeping new strings on a guitar. Elixirs might be a good solution when it's possible (see Maury's comment), but in the end, if I seriously want to try a guitar and it has dead strings, I'll offer to pay for having some new ones put on.

Regards, Glenn
Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I always liked when I would call and set up an appointment to go to Steve Swans shop he would ask me what guitars I was interested in checking out. When I would get to his shop all of the guitars that I had mentioned all had a new set of strings on them and sometimes he would be putting new strings on another one I wanted to try while I waited and played his guitars. He's a good dealer for sure, I have purchased 3 guitars from him over the last few years. He currently has a Brazilian Ryan and Somogyi in his shop as well as a lot of 30's and 40's Martins.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Guitar strings are among the most disposeable things I can think of, similar to gas in a car, they just get used up. When they're out they're out...time for a new set. At my local GCs (Dallas), the Taylors sound good for the most part but a Martin or Gibson with good strings is very rare.
05 Larrivee D-03R K&k mini (rosewood/spruce)
Seagull ERMJ beater(cherry/cedar)
86 USA Peavey Falcon
04 USA Fender Tele 4-way DiMarzio Twang Kings
Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 PM

I had the opposite situation at the Podium in Minneapolis. They were friendly, well stocked and invited me to play anything on the walls. Every guitar I picked up sounded good and in tune. Well worth the trip. Great town to boot.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I wholeheartedly agree that keeping decent strings on decent guitars is the part of the cost of doing business, but I ran into a brick wall or two on AGF a while ago when this topic came up....

http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/for...=fresh+strings
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 PM

This is a moot point, IMHO. The majority of store owners are not, repeat, not going to spend their time checking every guitar in their inventory on a regular basis, and go to the expense of paying one of their staff for the time needed to be constantly changing strings on all their guitars. They've got more important things for them to do, like sell the products(not just guitars) that the store carries.
I know the old argument that keeping fresh strings on them might help them sell faster, but i seriously doubt it. Most guitars spend months hanging on the wall, regardless of the condition of their strings. Besides, the owner knows that a seriously interested person will probably request a string change if he/she's really interested.
Add to that the fact that probably 60% of the people who come into the stores, or even of those who buy, wouldn't know good acoustic tone if it smacked them upside the head. Most of them are much more concerned about the way it looks. It's only people like us who care. And let's face it, even though there's an awful lot of us on this forum, we aren't even a drop in the bucket in terms of a percentage of their customer base.
So we will keep wishing for things to change, but I doubt they ever will, except for a few exceptionally saavy stores who cater to folk like us. So the advice to ask for a string change if you're interested is not only sound, but is probably the best way to go.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 07-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Guitar strings are among the most disposeable things I can think of, similar to gas in a car, they just get used up. When they're out they're out...time for a new set.
Yep.

I have no problem asking for changes. I tend to be a bit more forgiving and try my best to get a sense of the sound being what it is, but what I HATE is being lied to and being made to look dumb ("oh, we just did those up dude...it's probably just you"), or getting the stink-eye for even suggesting. If places held the same ideology as the above quote, things would be a lot more pleasant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion