The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 AM

Default Sharing a nice story.

I might have mentioned this person before.

Our trail building and mountain biking club had a woman show up two years ago. She was game but not knowing much about the sport, trail building, had streaks of terrible temper. We've always been a welcoming bunch but she did create some challenges that seemed harder on her than any of us. Last year she shared that she's struggled with with depression and weight most of her life.

This month we received a nice check from her employer honoring her volunteer work.

Last night I saw her riding on the trails working at expert lines and trying to get some air when the terrain allowed.

This morning she shared a little more of her story on Facebook. She said 4 years ago she met someone from a craigslist ad to buy a used bike and that she could hardly ride it but kept at it. Basically a bicycle and community volunteering over 4 years seems to have boosted her wellness and social scenario beyond anything drugs and counseling have done.

We also had an obese 8 year old boy show up in our kids lessons two years ago and I ended up being the one always trying to help him. I thought the poor guy wasn't having fun but tried to support him. His being behind and struggles would have us covered with mosquitoes and get us 1/4 mile or so behind the rest. In the winter his mother was the first to ask about lesson sign up again and he improved last year. At our annual party his mom wiped some tears and said our program changed his life.

On the selfish side I can tire of all my volunteering and efforts as a club leader but these experiences help keep me going with the nonsense and work. It makes the bicycle seem like a magical machine. We've had other less extreme stories where the activity helped people do better.

Go get on a bike. Get someone else on a bike. Go do some volunteer work. It might not change the whole world but you'll feel good if it changes someone else or yours. Imagine a magical machine where the more you work it the more you smile and it can take you from wearing a tent to lycra*.

*Wearing lycra is optional and not part of my own lifestyle.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Wonderful story, keep up the good work. Cycling has improved my health and well being. So, I'm a believer. Don't get discouraged. You help people change their lives. There are plenty of people around to offer criticisms of others, and pass judgment, and tell them to change . There are fewer who actually do something to help someone change. Don't forget it.

Good on you!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Hi Imwjl,

What a great post! Thank you! How rewarding it must for you be to be involved with something like this that really helps people both mentally and physically! Good for you for giving a part of your life to this effort!

- Glenn
Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Rock on! (sans Lycra please)
Old 05-22-2015, 11:52 AM

Nice story indeed! Thanks for sharing that, and for what you are doing to improve people's health and outlook. My efforts in that revolve around music, but it sounds like your club would be something I'd enjoy.

cotten
Old 05-22-2015, 12:31 PM

I checked summer enrollment at lunch time and see the boy I mentioned is signed up for both sessions this summer. The down side is it's looking like we have to cap enrollment at 80 kids to insure there will be enough adults for a quality experience.

Our youth program has done so well that 3 benefactors donated money to help support it and buy a mini excavator to accelerate the progress of big time. The mini ex is the ultimate bicycle accessory.

I believe this lack of volunteers is a problem all over and in many areas. Take time to do it. It's good medicine for the givers and not just those who receive.

We've completed a pump and flow trail that any skill level can ride but if you know what you're doing you can get about 90 deg sideways and each transition to next berm launches you and you get a slingshot action into the next. My dog is as crazy for it as anyone else. We've got people barely out of diapers and into their late 60s into it.

I've been into riding on dirt for 50+ years and never imagined it would evolve as it has and am glad I can still do it. Go rent a modern bike on a modern trail if you haven't tried it.

The other cool thing is this is breeding old school feral kids. Our trail efforts are in neighborhoods and we work to connect them with pathways. After 15 years we have great places that you can get to car-free. We see kids arriving on their own instead of all this modern drop off stuff.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:30 PM

Good work! Sounds like you are getting as much enjoyment out of helping as the newbies are.
My daughter and I are going for a ride on Sunday afternoon...on pavement, though. Louisville is building a linear park that follows a creek that wraps around the county. When finished, it will have over 110 miles of bike paths, (paved), and hiking trails. It also has a water park, several playgrounds and sports fields. You can also canoe in the creek and eventually it will have campgrounds too. It is a great addition to the area and it is always getting lots of use.

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Humanist

Excellent...!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Great job, Imwjl.

I'm a believer, too. I started biking to work a few years back, and it's made me happier with my commute. You're right. Folks should get on a bike and move!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-23-2015, 04:37 AM

have you guys joined the people for bikes bike challenge that runs till/thru September?

https://nationalbikechallenge.org/
Old 05-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Great stories. You never know how much you'll help someone.

Thank you
Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

This is a great success story to share. Glad you did.

I love my volunteer work. Tim and I look forward to doing more biking this year.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic