The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 PM

Default Whats your recent cheap guitar deal you had to have

My wife thinks I'll buy a freight train if I can get a good deal. I need another guitar like I need a hole in my head.

I was poking around a while back and read a thread on how good Alvarez AD60's sound for the money. Wasn't really looking to buy anything but was looking on GC online a few days later. Noticed a Alvarez AD60 in good condition for 149 dollars, just happened to be at GC about 25 min from my house. I had 50 guitar gear coupon/points from my gear card at GC. Guess where I headed.

Walked in, there it was in the Acoustic room. Had one little nick that is hard to find on the headstock. Buckle scratch on the back almost to small to see. No fret wear, neck was straight. It think it was 2012 or so guitar. Looks like someone bought and didn't play it.

Used my 50 dollar gear card credit and walked out with a pretty nice sounding guitar for 100 bucks. I took it to Danny D's and had a set up done and its not only my cheapest guitar, but maybe my best sounding guitar. I wish I could play as good as it sounds. I think it sounds as good or better than my Seagull. The girl that checked me out said she even thought about buying it.

Lets hear about your good cheap guitar deal.

Thanks Billy
Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 PM

I have a similar guitar to yours. It's the MD60. As for the tone, I think they are close. I paid $300.00 CDN with a good quality hard case. I can't see me getting rid of this one. It just sounds too good. I'm a Martin tone person at heart but the more I play my Alvarez MD60, my tone preference is changing. Now I'm looking for an Alvarez 12 string.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 PM

Not a guitar, but I had some balance on my company rewards card I needed to clear and I saw this Gibson mandolin that struck me. Very fine condition and it has been a real joy to own. These old Gibsons sound nothing like a modern mandolin, to the point of almost not being the same instrument.

Its a lot of fun to have these two instruments that are about 80 years apart in terms of design and build.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:01 PM

Classical nylon string made in Taiwan around '68-'72, Yamaha CG-50; a little beat up cosmetically, but structurally sound even though someone had strung it with steel ball end strings. Grrr. Anyway, $50 OTD at a local pawn shop.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:07 PM

Alvarez Baritone at Musician's Friend STODT. $279
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

This was last summer, but its as recent as I can get. A couple of years ago I had bought a Republic Resonator, a Tricone 200. Beautiful looking thing, all nice and shiny. Trouble was it weighed 3 tons and everything I played just about sounded the same on it. I just didn't know what I was doing with it. So it sat.

Fast forward to this past summer. I was in and out of Sam Ash and GC a lot. In Sam Ash they had a couple of nice used Guilds, an OM (spruce over hog) and a D-120ce (all hog). I felt the D-120 was a bit fuller in tone. The prices were half of what they were new. I said, what the heck, a guitar you don't play isn't doing anyone any good so I worked a good trade and got the Guild D-120ce for the Republic. The D-120ce is flawless and rings out well.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 01-14-2018 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Alvarez Baritone at Musician's Friend
Me too. I’m a total sucker for any baritone guitar and just could not help myself.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:02 AM
Guest 728

I bought one of those Recording King parlors from MF for $99. I have it in my classroom, and it gets a lot of use.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 AM

Nothing real recent, but about two years ago I grabbed an Alvarez AJ80 when they were blowing them out for $199. A very pleasant surprise. Setup, frets = perfect. Tone = tight, loud, not boomy but balanced. I bought a Fishman in-hole pickup that sounds and looks great. Ill prob mount it permanently one of these days.

A spruce top on a maple body makes for a nice looking curvy blonde.

Still, I dream of a Guild Jumbo someday...

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 01-15-2018, 04:47 AM

Another good Alvarez deal here. The AP70 was inexpensive enough anyway, but a few very light top scratches (barely visible but I noticed!), got me a further £40 off retail.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:04 AM

I guess my most recent cheap acoustic guitar I had to have would be my '98 Yamaha LL-11 I picked up at a pawnshop a couple of years ago for $149.

My last cheap electric guitar I picked up was just before Christmas.

I found an '03 Tom Anderson 6120 Tiger Hollow T Drop Top for $1200 at a pawnshop. These usually go for about $2500-$2800 used.

Here's my '98 Yamaha LL-11:

'03 Tom Anderson Hollow T Drop Top:

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 AM

Recentish...Used sunburst Eastman E20P for less than half of the street price (haggled it down a bit). It's probably not an amazing deal in the US where guitars are so cheap but here in the UK it felt good especially as the price has gone up a couple of hundred £ in the last year. Given that its an amazing guitar regardless of cost means it was a fantastic deal.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 01-15-2018, 06:37 AM

Just before Christmas, got an email from Sam Ash with blowout prices on Supro 's 3 pickup Hampton electric guitars in antique white or ocean blue for $399.

These guitars list as high as $1420 on Reverb, but mostly around $1099. At the same time, Sam Ash listed the black ones for $1099 and the sunburst model at $1199.

Guitar Center's listing a sale on them now at $849. And used prices are starting at $500 +

I bought a white one and a blue one. Liked the white one best, and listed the blue one on Craigslist to see if I could sell it for $600 before the 45 day return window closed.

Alas, there was not even a nibble so I returned it to the nearest Sam Ash last week and got my money back.

Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 01-15-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Sigma om-21, used but virtually unplayed, it still had the plastic on the pick-guard, for very little money at GC on Long Island. I saw it from the back and it was like ''what's that, a rosewood Martin?''. Turned it around and it was a German Sigma that's not even supposed to be here. I was just traded in so I had to wait out the two week police hold. I went back for it and they gave me a new set of strings for it and it sings like almost like it's the real thing.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Martin 00016t..90's model....very well used for £100 from a local facebook site ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion