The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 08:20 PM

Default Ordered some boutique picks today (received)

I ordered picks from both Gravity and Charmed Life today and had exceptional experiences with both companies and their owners.

First, I asked about Gravity's Gold Series via their web page's "Contact Us" section and I swear I had an answer before I could even get back to my email. Very cool, and so I ordered three picks from them including one of their Gold Series.

Then, I contacted Scott over at Charmed Life to ask a few questions, and again he got right back to me and he answered all my questions in an extended email exchange and was nice as could be and very helpful and informative. So I ordered one of his red casein teardrop 1mm picks.

People can say whatever they want about the prices of these kinds of things, and I was on the fence myself until today. To be treated that well, and to have taken care of my questions that quickly makes the entire experience a joy, and I'm sure that these picks will be excellent in every way. But props to both of these companies for exceptional customer service -- Chris over at Gravity Picks and especially Scott over at Charmed Life for truly going above and beyond and answering all my boneheaded questions pleasantly and happily.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Last edited by Social Exodus; 01-16-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 PM

You can't over estimate the importance of the pick in developing your playing in terms of tone and style. Even the most expensive picks are a bargain in terms of what they can do for you. As the only interface between you and your guitar, the pick is a vital part of the sonic chain and well worth the time and dollars needed to find the right one.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
You can't over estimate the importance of the pick in developing your playing in terms of tone and style. Even the most expensive picks are a bargain in terms of what they can do for you. As the only interface between you and your guitar, the pick is a vital part of the sonic chain and well worth the time and dollars needed to find the right one.
For the last several months, I have been using Dunlop Primetone and Ultex picks and I noted such differences from the celluloid picks I'd used for years that I began looking into these picks, as well as Blue Chip. I've also moved from mediums to heavy picks and wouldn't go back now that I've gotten used to them. So I expect great things from these new picks in terms of playability, feel, grip and tone.

I can hardly wait and really when I think about it, using these on my Taylor 814ce is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar to get a whole new playing experience.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
For the last several months, I have been using Dunlop Primetone and Ultex picks and I noted such differences from the celluloid picks I'd used for years that I began looking into these picks, as well as Blue Chip. I've also moved from mediums to heavy picks and wouldn't go back now that I've gotten used to them. So I expect great things from these new picks in terms of playability, feel, grip and tone.

I can hardly wait and really when I think about it, using these on my Taylor 814ce is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar to get a whole new playing experience.
Think you'll be pleased with the results from the casein pick. It has become my favorite material. It really brings out the true nature of the guitar.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I ordered picks from both Gravity and Charmed Life today and had exceptional experiences with both companies and their owners.

First, I asked about Gravity's Gold Series via their web page's "Contact Us" section and I swear I had an answer before I could even get back to my email. Very cool, and so I ordered three picks from them including one of their Gold Series.

Then, I contacted Scott over at Charmed Life to ask a few questions, and again he got right back to me and he answered all my questions in an extended email exchange and was nice as could be and very helpful and informative. So I ordered one of his red casein teardrop 1mm picks.

People can say whatever they want about the prices of these kinds of things, and I was on the fence myself until today. To be treated that well, and to have taken care of my questions that quickly makes the entire experience a joy, and I'm sure that these picks will be excellent in every way. But props to both of these companies for exceptional customer service -- Chris over at Gravity Picks and especially Scott over at Charmed Life for truly going above and beyond and answering all my boneheaded questions pleasantly and happily.
It was great chatting back and forth today. I really enjoy the give-and-take. Gives me a nice break off the bench. Love it.

Our website has only been up eighteen months, so to be mentioned in the same sentence with such a fine company as Gravity is indeed humbling. I have no vested interest and in fact have never met Chris, but your report matches what I've heard from so many others. Obviously a great guy who cares about his customers and his products, and certainly the kind of company you'd want to do business with.

It was great getting to know you too, Social, and I'm sure we'll kick it around again in the future. Thank you for trusting us with some of your pick dollars.

Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 01-12-2018 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
It was great chatting back and forth today. I really enjoy the give-and-take. Gives me a nice break off the bench. Love it.

Our website has only been up eighteen months, so to be mentioned in the same sentence with such a fine company as Gravity is indeed humbling. I have no vested interest and in fact have never met Chris, but your report matches what I've heard from so many others. Obviously a great guy who cares about his customers and his products, and certainly the kind of company you'd want to do business with.

It was great getting to know you too, Social, and I'm sure we'll kick it around again in the future. Thank you for trusting us with some of your pick dollars.

Scott
Yes it was, and it was very informative for me. I had no idea casein was being used to make plastic, let alone guitar picks! Been reading up on this process actually and it's very interesting to me. I mean, I drink protein shakes with the casein in them fer cryin' out loud lol

I am seriously looking forward to getting one of your picks into my hands Scott, and as I said your approach to customer service and communications is absolutely a breath of fresh air. I thank you for it, and I wish you nothing but success in your new "side gig" as a pick maker

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-12-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

enjoy your new picks SE! Charmed Life casein picks have become my favorite. I don't even pick up my BC or Gravity picks anymore...and I used to think the BC was the ultimate for me.

I do agree that Scott and Chris are both a pleasure to work with.

And Scott, you need to take a quick trip up to Yosemite and meet Chris on the trip. He's close by to Yosemite and it sounds like you could use a couple days away from the bench, and the smoke, and the rain...just sayin'
Old 01-12-2018, 10:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
enjoy your new picks SE! Charmed Life casein picks have become my favorite. I don't even pick up my BC or Gravity picks anymore...and I used to think the BC was the ultimate for me.

I do agree that Scott and Chris are both a pleasure to work with.

And Scott, you need to take a quick trip up to Yosemite and meet Chris on the trip. He's close by to Yosemite and it sounds like you could use a couple days away from the bench, and the smoke, and the rain...just sayin'
Ram, thanks, yes, I've heard great things about Chris from day one. I think they display at NAMM sometimes, but I'm so dang busy I'm not sure I'm going, even though I live only an hour away. Last year January was our busiest month of the year, even busier than December, and this month is playing out the same way. But yeah, would like to meet him and shake his hand.

The casein is really wonderful. When we started the company we were only going to do the brown series, but then I fell in love with the casein as a player. That's how that happened.

Nice to hear from you, and thanks so much for the kind words.

Happy New Year!

scott
Old 01-16-2018, 06:08 PM

I just today received my teardrop picks from both Charmed Life and Gravity. Both the Charmed Life and Gravity Gold Series picks are 1mm thickness, and both are impressive as heck in my first play through. They are not much alike with the Charmed Life pick being somewhat thinner feeling (if not in actuality) and has a wonderful grip factor to it. The Gold Series is a different material than the casein CLP, sort of like the Blue Chip pick material which is great for $15 less. I still might get a Blue Chip pick as well, namely a TAD-50, but I digress. I also got 3 acrylic picks from Gravity, one 1mm, one 1.5mm and one 2mm pick with grip holes.

Both the Charmed Life and Gravity picks played wonderfully smooth and easy, and imparted a wonderful and very organic tone which opened my Taylor 814ce up to a whole other level. Just enough give and slipperiness to make strumming feel natural and loose without being sloppy. Excellent! I was originally a skeptic, but I decided that I had the money and so I could give these a try and boy am I ever glad I did!

For the record, the acrylic picks were also pretty good, but very bright sounding. They too are slippery feeling on the strings while being easy gripped in your fingers. So all in all, boutique picks are indeed expensive, but really if you love to play your guitar and want it to be the best experience you could have, I'd tell you to give these a shot. I am glad I did and I look forward to years of playing with these picks.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Last edited by Social Exodus; 01-17-2018 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Great review on all these products. Thanks for taking the time to post. I always tell people to talk to other people on the forum about various pick products. I really prefer not to lead people one way or another.

BTW, folks, here I go again recommending someone else's products. If they have something in your thickness and shape, you should check out the Gravity Gold Series. That's a very good material. Also, prices are likely to rise on that series. They're actually selling them too cheaply right now to position them in the market. Long story, but I know and respect what they're doing. That line will eventually need to settle in the $25-30 price per pick area for them to sustain it long-term.

Thanks again for your fair-minded and informative review.

scott memmer
Old 01-17-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Great review on all these products. Thanks for taking the time to post. I always tell people to talk to other people on the forum about various pick products. I really prefer not to lead people one way or another.

BTW, folks, here I go again recommending someone else's products. If they have something in your thickness and shape, you should check out the Gravity Gold Series. That's a very good material. Also, prices are likely to rise on that series. They're actually selling them too cheaply right now to position them in the market. Long story, but I know and respect what they're doing. That line will eventually need to settle in the $25-30 price per pick area for them to sustain it long-term.

Thanks again for your fair-minded and informative review.

scott memmer
You're most welcome Scott, and I'll be playing and enjoying your pick for years to come. I truly appreciate your help in answering my questions and I wish you all the success in the world on your pick venture. I love that red casein pick already and I may well be ordering another in a thicker size soon, if you have them. For years I played nothing but Fender mediums, but as my playing and technique have progressed, my pick preference gets thicker and thicker. I'm thinking 2mm in fact. Thanks again sir.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-17-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I just today received my teardrop picks from both Charmed Life and Gravity.

Both the Charmed Life and Gravity picks played wonderfully smooth and easy, and imparted a wonderful and very organic tone which opened my Taylor 814ce up to a whole other level. Just enough give and slipperiness to make strumming feel natural and loose without being sloppy. Excellent! I was originally a skeptic, but I decided that I had the money and so I could give these a try and boy am I ever glad I did!

For the record, the acrylic picks were also pretty good, but very bright sounding. They too are slippery feeling on the strings while being easy gripped in your fingers. So all in all, boutique picks are indeed expensive, but really if you love to play your guitar and want it to be the best experience you could have, I'd tell you to give these a shot. I am glad I did and I look forward to years of playing with these picks.
If at all possible, I suggest you do the exact opposite: pretend that a cheap pick sounds and plays just the same as a more expensive pick. Never - and this is the most important part - never, ever try a more expensive pick. If you do the pixie dust will enter your brain and you will never be satisfied with the cheap picks again. Be vigilant. Stay strong.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-17-2018, 07:05 AM

Edit: Sorry MusicMan I totally missed the humor here this morning. My bad. My sarcasm detection device is on the fritz.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Last edited by Social Exodus; 01-17-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
This is funny really, almost as if I spent your money.

I am a retired military member and still work for the military so I assure you, pixie dust is ineffective on me. The truth is that these materials are simply better feeling and sounding than even the Ultex and Primetone picks I was using to me. And besides, if an investment this small (way less than a new guitar, no?) can make me enjoy playing this much -- it's worth it right there.

I'm fine with you not buying any pricey picks BTW, to each their own.
MusicMan, you're too late. You didn't get to him in time. He is spending his VA pension on expensive guitar accessories.

I'm thinking of starting a 12-Step group, and I'll be the first in line.

memmer
Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Yes the Charmed Life..... Being 62 I remember all the gigs with Fender mediums..... and other imprecise, click noise featuring inaccurate execution. Those flimsy, clacken' picks of yesteryear.

I sure wish these CL's were around back in the day.
I coulda been somebody.

Who says: The pick dosen't make the man, but makes the musician?
Or you can pick your friends but not your family?
Ok Scott, some more pick proverbs?

Or a Philly Song?

I was playin at the spectrum leaning against the lecturn when outa my fingers fell my plectrum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion