The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Trying to respond to most of the questions above.

I primarily play for myself, don’t sing, and split my playing time about 40/60 flatpicking and fingerstyle. And I still enjoy the occasional just strum along to cowboy chord songs too because that is how most of us fell in love with playing a guitar. I’m hoping to start playing with others in the next year as I am encouraged by reaching out to others in my area to get together to play and their responses to my reach out!

Sooooo.......

Koa versus rosewood - Where I would expect rosewood to be better would be on the low end but that does not seem to be the case with both of my Koa guitars (K22 and 714) and that could be due to the 12 fret neck and short scale and the way the bridge is shifted more to the center of the lower bout on a Taylor 12 fret. On the 714, the low end is further enhanced with the GA body size. You also don’t have the mid-range dip with Koa so I think it sounds fuller and combined with a bit more sparkle on the high end (especially enhanced on the 714 with the cedar top), you get a what I hear as a “sweet” (or very balanced) tonal response. If Taylor’s claim that the worse a Koa guitar sounds is the first day you play it because it will open up with more playing time is accurate, than I have a lot to look forward to.

Picking - I’m primarily replacing a GS7 with the new 714. I love the GS7 (cedar/EIR) especially for flatpicking but the GS body size and the 14 fret standard scale neck made me wish for something similar with a 12 fret neck and short scale. The 714 LTD was that opportunity and this guitar so far seems awesome whether I am using a flatpick, fingerpicks/thumb pick, or fingerpicking with bare fingers and thumb.

You’d probably ask if the 714 could replace my other two 12 fret GC’s (812ce and K22). Possibly but probably not. The GC body is still a bit more comfortable for me and all three guitars have enough difference in their tonal signatures that I will enjoy for the different music I like to play. That also leaves my Robinson 12 fret sloped shoulder dread and my Collings OM1A in comparison. The 714 could lead me to sell my Robinson and I’ll probably spend the next few months comparing the two. The OM1A stands on its own to me with the Adi top and hog back and sides. While it gives up a bit on the low end, it has so much clarity and presence with the mids and highs that astounds me every time I play it. If I had to replace it, I think I would want to go with a Collings 000 12 fret in the same construction with a short scale.

I think for the money, the 714 is a huge value given to get it other than as the LTD, you’d have to go the more expensive BTO route and if you purchased the same from the more high end builders (Santa Cruz, Lowden, Goodall, etc.) you would be paying at least double. The only area I see where it seems there was cost cutting was the black plastic body binding (the black equivalent of white ivoroid) and the lack of neck and head binding which look quite good on my 812 and K22. But these are both cosmetic and the rest of the construction looks to be on par with the 800 and 900 series.

If someone is interested, they should grab one of these while they are available.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:40 AM

I love 12 fret Taylors and that particular guitar is stunning. Congrats!
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM

Beautiful guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Default Gotoh 510s leave visible damage?

Hi Bob - Thanks for the comprehensive review. This guitar tempts me hugely. One more question for you: Did the switch to the Gotoh 510 tuners (my favorites as well) leave any visible reminders that they’re not the originals?
2019 Taylor 522ce V-Class 12-Fret - All Mahogany
2021 Rainsong V-OM 1000-NSX - Spruce/Carbon Fiber
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue (Natural)

Last edited by Gary-N-LA; 01-15-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:58 AM

wow.....that's a looker......
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-N-LA View Post
Hi Bob - Thanks for the comprehensive review. This guitar tempts me hugely. One more question for you: Did the switch to the Gotoh 510 tuners (my favorites as well) leave any visible reminders that they’re not the originals?
Not at all. I’ve done this conversion to every Taylor guitar I own or have owned that had a solid headstock.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 PM

Gorgeous guitar.
I’m suffering from a bad case of jealousy right now.
I think I need to get off this forum for a bit.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:23 AM

Default Taylor

That's a beauty Sprint, hope your still enjoying it!
I picked one of these up recently and have been blown away. Cool thing is a couple of my guitar playing buddies (who are not Taylor fans) also love it.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM

VERY nice. I have been a fan of the 12-fret Taylors since they started really ramping up production (though I must admit I still don't own one).
Old 02-21-2018, 03:23 PM

That's a pretty burst! Congrats!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the continued compliments. I just finished doing a setup on this guitar. We did some leveling of the string slots in the nut and made a slight adjustment to the neck and saddle. It now feels a bit more dialed in and easier to play. I think this guitar is so good tonally, it probably does not even need V-bracing !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion