The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Unofficial Woody Mann thread.....

Anyone else a big fan of Woody Mann? If so what are you working on? I thought it would be good to have a place to talk about songs, share tips and post drafts of songs that you have recorded before they hit "Show and Tell" quality...

I'm working on a few of Woody's songs from his "Complete Blues Guitar Method" book (a big thanks again to Pippin for getting me hooked on it).

Right now its "East Coast Rag" that has my attention and its a little on the tough side for me as it has one tempo change that is tripping me up a bit and the D7 with bass (thumb wrap) at another spot in the song is giving me fits a bit, for whatever reason. Usually that one goes easy. Might be time to wash the dishes first before playing

I might have a slow run through recorded by tonight or tomorrow night. This song will sound best when played at the original tempo I think though.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Chirp...... Chirp.....

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-18-2017, 05:59 PM

I've just learnt "Saturday Night Rub", - inspired by Toby Walker's post here recently - although I found Woody Mann's version worked better for me. Woody Man's version of "Black Dog Blues" is what got me started on this whole fingerpicking journey, although I tend to veer off course and end up with my own versions - but Woody's lessons are definitely a good starting point.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 06-18-2017, 06:48 PM

I'm another fan of Woody. I started messing around with Saturday Night Rub after seeing the same post, didn't finish it though.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I'm going to give Toby's version a shot, and maybe get the Woody Mann version later with the rest of that package he sells, "The Guitar of Big Bill Broonzy" - the instant download from Stefan Grossman's website. Toby's looked to fit my hands better as I saw some stretches in Woody's version that I doubt I could do.

My SoundCloud page

Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Good idea for a thread, Barry.

I learned about Woody on AGF, mostly from you and J-Doug.

I have the book and like it very much, but I'm still on the first song LOL!

Looking forward to hearing what others are doing with this resource.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:19 PM

More than 10 years ago, I took a 4 hour workshop session on Big Bill Broonzy music at Woody's Manhattan studio. At the time, playing that style was way over my head. I was so overwhelmed that I'm not sure I learned much at the time.

Woody didn't give out any paperwork, it was strictly play after watching him or listening to a recording. I still have my audio recordings of that session and review it every so often for fun.

My tastes in music has moved on from Blues / Ragtime, so I don't work on any of his arrangements. Woody's book on fretboard logic was a great start for me to be able to play in several locations.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-20-2017, 12:38 PM

Woody's "The Basics" book & DVD was the launching point for me for fingerstyle playing. He's a good teacher.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:49 AM

Hey Barry- I'm a huge Woody fan. I own "Finger Style Blues",Take Command of Your Fretboard", Guitar of Big Bill Broonzy", and "Guitar of Blind Blake". He is an inspirational teacher who is able to emphasize to me, a player with three years experience and limited skills, the process to separate the base line from the treble line (Hudson River Boogie). On one tape, I think from "Finger style Blues", he starts to play a song in a simple picking pattern, then he continues adding syncopation with the fingers (treble), finally adding syncopation with the base (thumb). It was sort of an "ah hah" moment. The song became extremely complex with no discernible pattern. With time and effort, that is where I want to be. I must admit, I get the most mileage from the Big Bill Broonzy and the Blind Blake tapes. I take their songs slowly and in pieces. I still can't play them great but my overall musicianship has improved.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Guest 33123

I've been playing guitar for past 32+ years. About 15 years ago being dissatisfied with my playing I started working with Woody's materials starting with his excellent DVD "The Basics". Totally changed my playing. While I've also used materials from Stefan Grossman and Daivd Laibman I consider Woody my primary instructor. I've been lucky to work with Woody for the past five years at Fur Peace Ranch and I now study with him via video exchange through his website. Over the past five years we have developed a warm relationship. He's a great guy and an excellent instructor and I totally credit him with my development as a player. So yeah three cheers for Woody!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Hi Barry--you asked for it, so here's my "not ready for show and tell" version of Creole Baby (first verse only, twice through) which is the first song in the book. It is in the style of Mississippi John Hurt. I made a few clams but feel like I have learned something working on this tune for a while.

Based on Doug's post I have ordered the "basics" DVD and will spend some time with it before moving on to other songs in the book.

I'm happy to be on the path from strummer to picker, and the example and advice from you, Doug, Toby and others is appreciated and inspiring. If I live long enough I might be a picker some day

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491...017-9-50-34-pm
Old 06-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Barry--you asked for it, so here's my "not ready for show and tell" version of Creole Baby (first verse only, twice through) which is the first song in the book. It is in the style of Mississippi John Hurt. I made a few clams but feel like I have learned something working on this tune for a while.

Based on Doug's post I have ordered the "basics" DVD and will spend some time with it before moving on to other songs in the book.

I'm happy to be on the path from strummer to picker, and the example and advice from you, Doug, Toby and others is appreciated and inspiring. If I live long enough I might be a picker some day

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491...017-9-50-34-pm
Bob, that was great! Welcome to the blues fingerpicker club!! Definitely worthy of a Show and Tell thread!

Wow, and you are just getting started. Very impressive. You hard work really paid off. Nice recording quality too. What did you use?

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 06-22-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Thanks so much, Barry!

The recording is into an old iphone with a cheap Tascam mic, then directly to sound cloud with no effects (cause I don't know how to do that, lol!). I've got the mic about 6 inches from the fretboard, around the 10th fret and the input turned all the way up.

Just starting to record myself, it sure is humbling. I suffer from "red light syndrome," I can feel myself choking when the machine is on! The good news is I am learning to play through my mistakes and keep the bass going which I tend not to do when just practicing.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Guest 33123

Bob! Totally excellent man. I really mean it. You're well on your way. Keep it up!
Old 06-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Many thanks for the encouragement, Doug! I'm coming up on six months of plunking away and all of a sudden things seem to be falling into place a little bit

My Woody Mann "Basics" DVD should arrive today. Really looking forward to that, thanks for the suggestion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write