The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2016, 12:52 PM

Default NGD: Yamaha FS830

I ordered one last Monday on a bit of a gamble - I had been searching for any of the new FS series for the last several months locally but no one had brought any in. I had tried the FG830 and was really impressed - it sounded awesome, but was too large. I knew I liked the smaller 720 series I had tried, so what the hell!

Everything about this guitar is just perfect. The neck is slim and feels like an electric. The action is just perfect with no buzz, even with my heavy picking hand (although Ive had to switch from the thick jazz IIIs I use for electric to a .60mm nylon). It sounds gorgeous even with stock Yamaha strings, and I have a set of elixer 80/20s ready to go once these wear. I had my heart set on a GS mini but I'm so glad I decided to "settle" with this beauty. Highly recommended. 10/10.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:58 PM

I'm a lefty, so the amount of guitars I get to try at a shop is pretty minimal. My FG820l stands up with 'Name' brands costing quite a bit more. It took a bit of mind reset to get past the name but here in AGF people have almost no bad words for Yamaha, especially in the price range.

Congrats.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:58 PM

Nice axe! Speaking from recent experience, I would recommend that you enjoy those stock Yamaha strings as long as possible.

I have an LL16M and I swapped out the stock strings for Elixir 80/20's and it made the guitar unbelievably bright and shimmery. Of course if that's what you're after, go for it, but I was amazed at how much of a difference it made.

Play it in good health.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:31 PM

Congrats, very nice Yamaha. I love the new 830s, but I settled on the new FG800 Vintage tint. I love the vintage look and the deal I got. I might see an 830 coming my way soon. I hope you enjoy it, and try some EXP lights coated.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM

As you can see in my signature, I have the FS700s. I am amazed at the quality of instrument one can buy for 2 Franklins (a little more in your case) these days! Enjoy the NGD!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 12-12-2016, 08:40 PM

Good choice. You will dig it. I have the solid wood version of the same guitar - the Yamaha LS16R - just got it in November and really like it. I came really close to buying the FS830 but wanted solid wood.

Don't lament the GS Mini - I had a GS Mini for a short time this year and it was a great guitar, but the size was just too small and cramped for me. I bought the LS16R after selling the GS Mini and searching for a suitable replacement by playing a bunch of OM and OO sized guitars. I wanted something smaller than my dreads.

The Yamahas held their own in those size categories and price points, and as always, give you a lot of bang for your buck (I'm partial to them because of the build quality and because of the value they represent). I think the FS830 is a great alternative to the GS Mini is and a little bit more substantial in terms of size. Enjoy it!
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-12-2016, 08:49 PM

I agree with the 800 series' greatness. I have the fg820 which was so good I recently bought a fsx800c which is equally awesome. For a slightly smaller guitar they really punch above their price point. The bass and resonance rivals much pricier guitars imo. I agree that there is something about the Yamaha stock strings. I know they get a bad rap but once I changed them the guitar changed. Not for better or worse but those strings have a certain shimmery jingle that isn't overly bright. I found them for sale but they were close to 20 a set. I still think about buying a couple sets though..

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 12-13-2016, 02:16 AM

Congrats. I started with the FS730. What a great guitar. Even after upgrading, I still find myself picking up the Yammy, especially when I want to strum some songs.

I know the 800 series is a nice step-up over the 700 series. Which would have to make it a great guitar and an incredible value.

Enjoy!

Taylor 812ce 2016
Yamaha FS-730
Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 AM

Pretty guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 12-13-2016, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Those FS Yamahas are great little guitars. The deeper body on them than a traditional 000 size makes them a great all around guitar.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Sweet! Gotta ask given your username, are you a Dave Mustaine fan?
Old 12-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTune View Post
I agree with the 800 series' greatness. I have the fg820 which was so good I recently bought a fsx800c which is equally awesome. For a slightly smaller guitar they really punch above their price point. The bass and resonance rivals much pricier guitars imo. I agree that there is something about the Yamaha stock strings. I know they get a bad rap but once I changed them the guitar changed. Not for better or worse but those strings have a certain shimmery jingle that isn't overly bright. I found them for sale but they were close to 20 a set. I still think about buying a couple sets though..
Kraftmusic.com sells the Yamaha stock strings. They're called FG12 lights, 80/20 Bronze. I bought the FG800 Bundle from them with the Brown Sunburst finish and they included two extra sets of strings. I like these strings. I've had the guitar for 7 weeks and they still sound good to my unrefined ears. I play everyday for around 30 minutes. Still a beginner.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the tip on the availability of the Yamaha strings - I couldn't find them anywhere. I like them also.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-14-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! Gotta ask given your username, are you a Dave Mustaine fan?
Absolutely lol. I've been playing electrics for around 15 years and this is my first acoustic.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Rusty, congratulations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion