The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cubilindo View Post
Sheryl Crow said it best....the first dent is the deepest.
But she covered it.

I've done the soldering iron trick on unfinished wood. But it has to be a true dent, with no broken fibers, to work really well. I'd be pretty scared of trying it to a finish, maybe it can be done with success, but I'm a big chicken. Depending on what the original finish is, I'd do some sort of drop-fill if you are really concerned about it. But that's not to be left for someone that doesn't know their way around finish repairs. It is VERY easy to make things worse.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Howard Klepper;2007679]Dents can often be steamed out of finished wood. But there is some risk. [QUOTE]

Steam can permeate some (but not all) finishes but the risk is lifting the finish and making matters much worse.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 AM

You got a dent on your guitar?!?! MY GOD!!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM

I recently had my luthier work on a nasty divot in the spruce top of my Seagull Peppino D'Agostino acoustic....guitar fell against a sharp countertop corner. He did the superglue trick and possibly steam as well. The damage area is still visable due to color difference (slightly darker) but the surface is level with the contiguous undamaged areas. Much improved and I am pleased with his work!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 AM

I owned a custom furniture business for over a decade starting in my teens and in my opinion removing a dent from finished wood should be done only by experienced hands, and only if absolutely necessary. My D-45V has a couple of small dings and although I feel as qualified as any to address them, it would be easy to cause more harm than good. Plus, it's a guitar, a musical instrument that will develop some handling marks if used. I say leave it alone.

BTW, what make and model is it?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:46 AM

I remember when my HD-28 was new adn I was paranoid that it might get scratched. Over the years now I have come to grips with the fact that it will get dinged. Also I have inadvertently learned how strong they really are as I have banged it pretty hard a few times with no ill effect.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chordchunker View Post
You got a dent on your guitar?!?! MY GOD!!
LoL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion