The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Default Heads Up, D'Addario Tuner...

...Anyone tried one of these? Very cool, unobtrusive, tuner. First one I saw was used by bluegrass flatpicker Kenny Smith and his wife, Amanda, at a flatpicking guitar workshop. Very discrete. You don't have the big display sticking up above the headstock. They're also very accurate and quick, easy to read. I really like mine. You can buy them in twin packs too. Check 'em out.

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-NS-Mi...7addario+tuner

Tom
Old 11-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Guest 1928

I was a bit skeptical when I first saw them, but kept hearing good things. Got one for my birthday in October and really like it a lot.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I bought a two-pack a while back. It took a bit of getting used to but they seem accurate, are easy to use, and certainly are unobtrusive. They're a good addition to the range of options out there.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
...Anyone tried one of these? Very cool, unobtrusive, tuner. First one I saw was used by bluegrass flatpicker Kenny Smith and his wife, Amanda, at a flatpicking guitar workshop. Very discrete. You don't have the big display sticking up above the headstock. They're also very accurate and quick, easy to read. I really like mine. You can buy them in twin packs too. Check 'em out.

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-NS-Mi...7addario+tuner

Tom
Cheaper right now to buy two singles.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:16 AM

I use them and like the slim profile and accuracy.

My only beef with them is that they seem to drain the battery. I've had my Snark tuners for over a year and never changed it's battery. I started using these new tuners a few months ago and have changed them out twice already.

I use a Cooperstand and keep it in my case under the headstock...so perhaps this pushes up against the power switch and turns it on accidentally?

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." -Master Oogway (KungFu Panda)

Guitars:
Taylor 614ce ('07)
Taylor 612ce ('10)
Taylor BT3 Baby Maple ('07)
Yamaha G-235 (late '70s) Classical
Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele ('11)

LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI
Old 11-29-2013, 11:43 AM

I bought a pair of them in August, then picked up two more a couple of weeks later, in early September. One of these days I'll pick up another 4! They're just plain useful and because all of my instruments are poly finish they can be parked on the treble side of the head under the first string between the nut and the first tuning post. I wouldn't suggest leaving them on nitro or other sensitive finish instruments. Haven't had any battery issues, yet, Aaron...

The only caveat was that I used to use a pair of "hang by the neck" Ultimate stage stands that I can't use anymore (replaced them with those wood satellite looking stands that hold the lower bout) though I discovered this week that they still fit nicely in the Hercules self-closing yoke type stands. Guess I'll have to get a couple of them when I get more of the micro tuners!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:28 PM

Man, I'm racking up thanks to you guys! Been wanting a clip on tuner, and the placement and size of this one intrigued me. For that price, why not?!!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:58 PM

I have had one of the earlier models discretely clipped to the back of the headstock on my GS Mini for a couple of years now.
No apparent damage to the finish on that li'l guy. Wouldn't leave it on my Martin.
Battery life is fine, so long as you always turn it off the second you've tuned up !

FWIW. They do fit extremely neatly on the back of Strat/Tele style headstocks !
Old 11-29-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Cheaper right now to buy two singles.

Now ya' tell me...LOL!!!

Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion