The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2011, 02:36 AM

Default Martin Factory tour?

Who's done it? This June we're doing a family roadtrip travelling though the NE and Hershey is one of the stops ...so may as well cruise by Nazereth, eh?

So anyone here gone through the Martin factory tour? Tips or hints to help plan on making it a better tour? Does one need to make reservations? Any details or advice most welcome. Thanks!!

Edward
Old 12-19-2011, 02:53 AM

http://www.martinguitar.com/visit/tour.html

Before or after the tour, there are two sampling areas where you can play their guitars. There's an open area off the lobby with common models (D-28 etc) and stools. Accessed through the gift shop there is a room with higher end stuff.

Don't miss the museum. Also the old factory, currently used for their kit business.

I loved every minute of the tour, museum, sampling stations and old factory visit. For a family, I think a lot would depend on age and interest, especially for children.

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 AM

Call ahead, find out the tour schedule..............

Allow at least a half day to see/do everything, it's very cool. At the end of the day you will want a Martin, bad!!

Have fun@!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-19-2011, 07:09 AM

The tour is fun and informative .
I try to do it at least twice every year .
I see that you are going to Hershey . If you are going because of chocolate , I will suggest that you consider the Wilbur factory store in Lititz . Wilbur doesn't offer tours but the store is a death trap for those , like myself , that love chocolate . May I suggest the dark covered Graham Crackers , Homemade Marshmallows filled with Caramel and Peanut Butter filled Ritz Crackers .
Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 AM

Plan ahead. Find out when the tours are and give yourself time to be early. Sample some guitars.

You'll find it to be a great tour hosted by retired employes who loved their job, the product, and love their company. It was a wonderful tour!

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases
Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM

The tour runs during the week. People meet up in the lobby, form a group of about fifteen or twenty and go thru, lasts about an hour. Very interesting even if you are not a player. The factory is located right in the middle of a suburban neighborhood, strange setting. Hershey PA. is a lot of fun too. Great resturants and attractions. You are also very close to Lancaster PA., home of a large community of Amish. There are tours availible from the residents explaining their old order way of life. Excellent craftsman and farmers, their products are beautifully constructed. None that I know of, and I have asked many, build guitars. If you just are passing thru and looking to stop to eat google the location of the "Good and Plenty" or "Millers" resturants. Run by locals and served family style, this is simple basic food taken to its highest level.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM

Talking

I picked up one of my purchases at the factory and did the tour while visiting. It was outstanding...my equivalent of a day at Disney. There is so much to see. And, you will gain an even greater appreciation for the guitars and the company (the people who make-up the company).

The added bonus was my wife, a non-player, was as fascinated as I was. And, she loved the "art" and detail which goes into the workmanship. That made my next unexpected purchase a very easy decision.

Take the tour....hang out a while and just take your time in the museum, store and picking parlor. We plan on returning every time I buy one.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 AM

Wow, great recommendations, all; and thanks for the specifics! Done deal, then ...it's goin on the itinerary ...wooohooo

Edward
Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

It is really fun to read these comments. Like Edward, I have never taken the Martin tour, but I would love to. Next time I am out on the East coast -- and I visit family out there a couple of times a year -- I'm going to rent a car and make the drive over there.

My only problem is that I do not need another guitar, and I already own two Martins (D-35, 000-28VS). But I'll just have to deal with that issue later!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion