The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 PM

Default To DI or not to DI?

I gather many people on this forum use a small mixer and powered speakers based on recent threads. So, out of curiosity, I was wondering if those of you who use this setup plug your guitar, and/or effects pedals/pedalboard direct into the mixer, or if you use a DI box? I have a DI box, and have used it to connect my electric amps (without direct outs) to my mixer (via the headphone out), but for my acoustics, I almost always simply plug into the left channel on my mixer.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 PM

I use a DI for some circumstances, like plugging direct into an XLR jack on a snake. I use active DI preamps to boost the signal for low biased inputs like the Roland AC-33 to boost it's output to potential. 18 feet or less from an amp or board I usually plug straight in. Ric
Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 PM

Similar to ric. Small show I just run direct to and from the mixer. Big rooms I run into a DI then to the board.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:46 AM

I don't use a DI, mainly because I don't have one.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 05-24-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I gather many people on this forum use a small mixer and powered speakers based on recent threads. So, out of curiosity, I was wondering if those of you who use this setup plug your guitar, and/or effects pedals/pedalboard direct into the mixer, or if you use a DI box? I have a DI box, and have used it to connect my electric amps (without direct outs) to my mixer (via the headphone out), but for my acoustics, I almost always simply plug into the left channel on my mixer.
This isn't a matter of choice/preference. You need a DI when you need one, and you don't when you don't. Generally, when you're dealing with active pickup signals and short cables, you don't need one to go into the line inputs on most mixers. Often this is true of passive magnetic pickups as well if they have a strong enough signal. With passive piezo-based pickups, however, unless the mixer has high impedance inputs, you need a DI box to change the impedance, balance the signal, step it down, and allow you to go into a mic input. This is particularly critical if the cable length is long.

Louis
Old 05-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Pretty much what Ischwart says. In addition, the general rule of thumb is: passive pickups into active DIs (especially if taking a split off to an on stage amp), active instruments (acoustics and basses with on board preamps, keyboards etc) into passive DIs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-24-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
This isn't a matter of choice/preference. You need a DI when you need one, and you don't when you don't. Generally, when you're dealing with active pickup signals and short cables, you don't need one to go into the line inputs on most mixers. Often this is true of passive magnetic pickups as well if they have a strong enough signal. With passive piezo-based pickups, however, unless the mixer has high impedance inputs, you need a DI box to change the impedance, balance the signal, step it down, and allow you to go into a mic input. This is particularly critical if the cable length is long.

Louis
I should add that even with active pickups or mags with strong signals, you should use a DI box and go into a mic input if your cable length is creeping up toward 20 feet or more.

Louis
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I always DI into a mixer and plug straight into an amp. It's not always necessary to do it this cut and dry, but it works for me.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification