The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-26-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Hey, banjo pickers.....

I'm looking for a nice but, inexpensive banjo (5 string)to rekindle an old skill. Need some inspiration and direction as I've been kinda out of banjo for a while.
In he past I have had some good ones and some cheap ones..Vega ( great but, way pricey), Hofner ( in the middle and pretty good), and a Aria ( very cheap but, real nice playing)...any pointers as to whats out there these days?
I've done a bit of online looking but, honestly, I can't tell much from the pics. I really lked the Aria's neck..a bit wider for my fat little fingers.
Ideas, anybody?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb
I'm looking for a nice but, inexpensive banjo (5 string)to rekindle an old skill. Need some inspiration and direction as I've been kinda out of banjo for a while.
In he past I have had some good ones and some cheap ones..Vega ( great but, way pricey), Hofner ( in the middle and pretty good), and a Aria ( very cheap but, real nice playing)...any pointers as to whats out there these days?
I've done a bit of online looking but, honestly, I can't tell much from the pics. I really lked the Aria's neck..a bit wider for my fat little fingers.
Ideas, anybody?

Ask me off line, and ill try to help you out,,
If not,, i would look at Goldtone.
Rick
Old 10-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Rick..pm coming...
Old 10-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Luthier

GoldTone is a Great place to start. A great deal of bang for the buck.

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 AM

I have a nice Goodtime openback I am thinking of selling. PM me for details if interested.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:20 AM

Goodtime or Goldtone.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:33 AM

Cruise the classifieds and the pawn shops for a used banjo - you'll get more bang for yoiur buck buying used. I got a fairly decent Alvarez banjo for my dad a few years back in a pawn shop. Think I paid $250 for it, but its actually a pretty good instrument.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C
Cruise the classifieds and the pawn shops for a used banjo - you'll get more bang for yoiur buck buying used. I got a fairly decent Alvarez banjo for my dad a few years back in a pawn shop. Think I paid $250 for it, but its actually a pretty good instrument.
I have , actually , been doing that but, no luck like you had yet...the Alvarez was a real good find...I should be so lucky!
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 PM

Heard and read some favorable stuff on Goldtones--a lot of bang for the buck; A used Deering Goodtime might be a good move-otherwise, I think they are a bit pricey for what they are new.

Used is a great way to go; the old Aida "Mastertone" clones are decent; You also gotta decide whether you're looking open back, or resonator. Saga makes some inexpensive banjos too, but can't vouch for their tone. Saga/Blueridge has also reintroduced "Goldstar" banjos--a cut above the regular Sagas. Again, haven't played/heard one. My current 5-string is a Deering Sierra, which isn't inexpensive (but not up there with their top lines, or Stelling, Gibson, Sullivan, Wildwood, etc.). Try visiting banjohut.org. Lot's of good folks there (and probably "buy and sell" section too), and they know their banjers.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 10-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum
Heard and read some favorable stuff on Goldtones--a lot of bang for the buck; A used Deering Goodtime might be a good move-otherwise, I think they are a bit pricey for what they are new.

Used is a great way to go; the old Aida "Mastertone" clones are decent; You also gotta decide whether you're looking open back, or resonator. Saga makes some inexpensive banjos too, but can't vouch for their tone. Saga/Blueridge has also reintroduced "Goldstar" banjos--a cut above the regular Sagas. Again, haven't played/heard one. My current 5-string is a Deering Sierra, which isn't inexpensive (but not up there with their top lines, or Stelling, Gibson, Sullivan, Wildwood, etc.). Try visiting banjohut.org. Lot's of good folks there (and probably "buy and sell" section too), and they know their banjers.
Thanks, Folfstrum...I've been hearing some good things about Goldtones. They have a pretty good range of pricing a well..oh, I'm partial to a resonator for what its worth. I'll check out theBlueridge/ Saga a well. I've played some Deerings that I liked alot but, as you say, the really nice ones were kinda ouuta my budget...champagne taste...Milwaukee's Best Budget
Old 10-27-2005, 06:41 AM

DrThumb
For what it is worth, I own an Oscar Schmidt OB-5 banjo, which I bought on a lark. Once I adjusted the truss rods properly, it sounds and plays pretty well, at least for a plunker like me. If on Ebay, Warpdrive Music usually has some, and they are good folks to do business with.

Pete
Old 10-27-2005, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WigginsPlayer
DrThumb
For what it is worth, I own an Oscar Schmidt OB-5 banjo, which I bought on a lark. Once I adjusted the truss rods properly, it sounds and plays pretty well, at least for a plunker like me. If on Ebay, Warpdrive Music usually has some, and they are good folks to do business with.

Pete
Thanks for the input. I'll check 'em out.

Oh BTW.....its dthumb....not Drthumb (laughing with you, not at you)...nickname is BECAUSE of the way I use my thumb playing guitar..I learned fingerstyle by playing a banjo...resonator thumb turned to alternating bass thumb with a lot of dropped "D" tunings a long long time ago...on a planet Far Far away... But I like the sound of DrThumb!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 AM

[QUOTE=woodyboyd]GoldTone is a Great place to start. A great deal of bang for the buck. [/QUOTE)

Good call Woody,
I agree 100%

Rick
Old 10-27-2005, 07:10 PM

Thanks guys.....I'll make a point of looking into the Goldtones....

BTW..anybody ever heard of an "Austin" banjo"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments