The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-06-2017, 12:02 PM

Question Sharp fret ends on my Telecaster

Approx. how much can I expect to pay a guitar tech in USD to have the sharp fret ends on an '87 Telecaster sanded and smoothed out. The neck is straight, the action is perfect, the frets are good, but this '87 Tele has settled in with "sharpies" — It's been like this for years, the last time I played it I got a little cut — so it's not a humidity problem that will fix itself at this point. I may be giving it to my nephew, so I'd like to know what I'm in for. All help is appreciated.
1987 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Old 11-06-2017, 12:21 PM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ds&FORM=HDRSC3
Old 11-06-2017, 01:08 PM

It shouldn't be much... a few minutes with a fine file will fix it.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Skate View Post
Approx. how much can I expect to pay a guitar tech in USD to have the sharp fret ends on an '87 Telecaster sanded and smoothed out. The neck is straight, the action is perfect, the frets are good, but this '87 Tele has settled in with "sharpies" — It's been like this for years, the last time I played it I got a little cut — so it's not a humidity problem that will fix itself at this point. I may be giving it to my nephew, so I'd like to know what I'm in for. All help is appreciated.
Nate,
It was from a lack of humidity, and usually it won't reverse itself.

You can do it yourself with a single cut mill file and some blue or green painters tape placed lengthwise just below where you see the fret-tang bottomed out in the fret slot.

HE
Old 11-06-2017, 02:37 PM

I hit the fret ends of my cheap strat with a file. Took less than a minute and $0.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:47 PM

For kicks, since it's a tele and can withstand the apocalypse, put it on a stand, take it in the bathroom with you, and take a nice hot shower. See what happens.

But yeah, not tough to file either. I live in Chicago, aka land of everything overpriced, and I think I paid a pretty good tech $50 to do that and a whole setup on a guitar a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-06-2017, 03:07 PM

I charge $30 bucks to do it right. You may as well get it now when it's dry before humidifying it. THat way when it is properly humidified the ends will actually sink back inward and be totally out of the way. IT's not hard to DIY it with a regular file but I take the extra step of rounding off each and every fret end and removing the burs with a special file.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Interesting topic, I just did this today to my Ron Tracy Tele which has stainless steel frets. I flat file the ends and then use a fret end file to shape the ends. It does a perfect job and I have done it to many of my electrics.

As someone previously mentioned, this condition normally does not heal itself when humidity returns. -- Darwin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars