The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-23-2016, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

There's also Stephen Sedgwick. http://www.stephensedgwick.co.uk
Old 01-23-2016, 03:04 AM

Default a wonderful luthier in England

My experience with Adrian Lucas began at the holy grail guitar show in Berlin and very impressed of that wonderful sonority of his guitars I bought one and I have to say it is a non ending fount of pleasure to Play it. So I would recommend him as a very reputable luthier in England.
http://www.lucasguitars.co.uk/

best wishes

guitarchie
Old 01-23-2016, 03:24 AM

Hi, I bought a couple of guitars of a Czech master builder, Jaroslav Mach. One last year. With the current exchange rate the cost was very reasonable for the sheer quality of the guitars. There is a review of his OM model if you do a search on Google. Shipping to UK was no problem and I had photos throughout the build.

He was great to deal with, excellent after service and good custom service. Couldnt recommend highly enough.

Hope that helps.

Phil
Old 01-23-2016, 03:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abz View Post
I played a Traugott, a model R I believe, a few years ago. It was german spruce with african blackwood back and sides and it just blew me away.
The Acoustic Music Company has a brand new one in stock right now... http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...-guitars-.html

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:03 AM

If you can wait a few weeks, I'll write a review of Stefan Sobell's new Martin Simpson model, bearclaw sitka over malaysian blackwood - when I played his prototype it blew me away, thunderous dark bass and full, fat trebles - and uber clarity of course.

Jonny
Old 01-23-2016, 04:06 AM

A very important British maker has been omitted here. Brook Guitars of Devon.

I have been to their factory, exchanged phone calls and emails and they are the most wonderful people to deal with and they can build anything you want with your choice of woods. Check out the news page on their website to get an idea of their scope. also, below the pictures of my Brook, check out the video the BBC did about their business some years ago. This will give you insight as to the integrity the integrity of these two fine fellows.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choucas09 View Post
A very important British maker has been omitted here. Brook Guitars of Devon.

I have been to their factory, exchanged phone calls and emails and they are the most wonderful people to deal with and they can build anything you want with your choice of woods. Check out the news page on their website to get an idea of their scope. also, below the pictures of my Brook, check out the video the BBC did about their business some years ago. This will give you insight as to the integrity the integrity of these two fine fellows.

Having 2 Brook's myself (see YT channel) I agree with the above however please don't be put off by the term 'factory'. It is in fact a small workshop and there are 3/4 people building the instruments.

I suggest you take a trip to Devon and experience Simon and Andy's hospitality

Almost forgot to mention that Brook guitars are really under priced and represent great value for a totally hand built instrument.

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 01-23-2016, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Just for fun and to help us help him, why doesn't the OP describe his ideal guitar , design, size, woods, and his playing style ? That would help considerably surely?

I have in the past said - DON'T order a custom guitar unless/until you know exactly what you want - A lesson hard learnt!
Old 01-23-2016, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
If you can wait a few weeks, I'll write a review of Stefan Sobell's new Martin Simpson model, bearclaw sitka over malaysian blackwood - when I played his prototype it blew me away, thunderous dark bass and full, fat trebles - and uber clarity of course.

Jonny
I played the sitka over malaysian blackwood MS model when I visited Stefan last year. It was truly superb - tone as Jonny describes, and a beautiful sustain.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:34 PM

Hey, Guitar Friends--Well, I'll throw a name out that hasn't been mentioned, Rory Dowling of Taran Guitars. He's getting to have a first-class reputation in the U.K.. Everything I have seen and read about his guitars has been incredibly positive. The guitars look magical. He really seems to have his act together. His facebook page tends to have a bit more info. than his website. Might be worth a look see.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Obviously you can go to the Horse's mouth (i.e. Sobell himself) but Rory Dowling of Taran guitars make a fabulous alternative (for much less GBP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Hey, Guitar Friends--Well, I'll throw a name out that hasn't been mentioned, Rory Dowling of Taran Guitars.
Rory does indeed make superb instruments ... and also has one of the best appointed workshops I have ever seen. Makes me envious every time I visit ...
Old 01-24-2016, 01:06 PM

Hi Abz. I'm based in Lincoln, England and would be very happy to chat about what you're looking for and show you a few of my instruments if you want to pay me a visit.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Just for fun and to help us help him, why doesn't the OP describe his ideal guitar , design, size, woods, and his playing style ? That would help considerably surely?

I have in the past said - DON'T order a custom guitar unless/until you know exactly what you want - A lesson hard learnt!
My apologies for the late reply - I'm quite new to AGF and my experience in some other forums led me to believe I would get next to zero replies to a question so I'm pleasantly surprised and very grateful guys, thank you. Ok so I've been playing since childhood but quite a long period in the military meant there has been a big gap where I didn't play so I'm way worse a player than I ought to be...well thats my excuse anyway. I mainly fingerpick but do strum a bit too so I had in mind a reasonably large body for a somewhat 'all-round' sort of sound if thats possible. As far as woods go, the nicest guitars I've played have had certain recurring themes which lead me towards those woods although I'm certainly open to change. Bearclaw has been one of those themes but so has red spruce, both Italian and Adi..If I could marry the two (bearclaw and red spruce) I would be sold on a top wood but I know thats rare at best. Back and sides I have always thought, and found to a degree, have much less effect on tone so I will probably go with what I like aesthetically and to a lesser extent, tonally. African blackwood would be right at the top of my list. I love ziricote too. My true wish is to have a matching guitar and ukulele. Same woods, maybe initials at the 12th fret (although the effect on resale in the event that I dont fall in love means I probably wont do that) Essentially, I either have or have played what I think are the best factory made has to offer - old martins, taylors, larrivees, etc so seeing as its for my 40th I am set on a custom luthier built instrument. Some people dont 'get' or hear handmade acoustic guitars. My friend says theres no difference. For me, there is. A world of difference. I dont know how much of it is actual and how much is romance for me but its there, and I want one!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLucas View Post
Hi Abz. I'm based in Lincoln, England and would be very happy to chat about what you're looking for and show you a few of my instruments if you want to pay me a visit.
Really appreciate that my friend. I will drop you an email as soon as I have clicked on your website link which I will do in about ten seconds!
Old 01-27-2016, 03:37 AM

Default Commission

I am going to have to slightly contradict myself, in as much as I recommended a builder earlier in this thread.
I would never commission a guitar from anyone because on every occasion I have done so, or bought blind, they have been a disappointment.
Two highly rated builders mentioned in this thread I have owned guitars by, one bought after a very brief trial at the owners house, was probably the guitar I liked least of any guitar that I have ever owned, although there was much to admire about it in terms of quality of construction, the tone was so far away from what I hold dear that I literally never played it.

The other a commission many years ago, was just a disaster really but I blame my younger self for a good portion of that.
Its never easy trying to choose but I think a trip to a dealer with no prejudices about what you want is the way to go, a good dealer will also give you a cooling off period, with at least the chance to change it after a short time in case you think you made the wrong choice.

Best Regards Anthony

Last edited by Portland Bill; 01-27-2016 at 01:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop