The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-04-2010, 11:47 PM

Default Starting my first guitar!

Hey there! I just went and picked up all of my woods and gadgetry from LMI. My brother decided he wanted to get in on the action, so he bought a slightly different set. We're both working with indian rosewood backs and sides and honduran mahogany necks. But, he has a sitka top with curly maple binding, and I have an engelmann top with flamed koa binding.

I've read Cumpliano's book, and I've researched every shred of youtube material on lutherie. But, our only power tool is a laminate cutter I bought from Harbor Freight today. We're going to have to get inventive - but that's all part of the fun. Wish us luck!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 AM
happiness

How exciting! Best of luck, and please keep us updated on your adventure as your build progresses

Fliss
Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Best of luck from a fellow in the trenches of his first build!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Have fun and best of luck. Handle the tops with care, especially the englemann, they damage easily.

Chris.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Some people were building guitars without any powertools at all - but at least the router is definitely bonus for cutting purfing channels and rosette.
Get a good chisels - you don't need many of them maybe just small and medium, but get as good as you can afford (japanese made perhaps) and buy a hand plane - stanley and footprint are still ok - get one that is smaller than bench/block plane. Get thin kerf hand saw (model makers). And some stash of sand papers- from 80 to 600. Find cabinetmaker scraper (it is a piece of metal basically with burr) it saves lot of sanding.
You will need to bend those sides - you can make your own bending iron from a metal pipe and heating element put inside. That's all you can build fine guitar with those tools.

Why you didn't get the serviced kit from LMII? This saves like 2 weeks of the most troublesome parts and it is a good start for first time builders.
-Takamine AN10
- My own build DeJonge Standard Steel String
- My own build Santos Hernandez cypress flamengo
- My own build Bubinga Tornavoz classical
- My own build Hammered Dulcimer
- My own build Travel Guitar
Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 PM

I can't bring myself to do a kit. I want to do it from the ground, up. Hard parts and all.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 AM

Good choice, I was just asking. The serviced kit simply saves some time (and money if you don't have the correct tools). The good thing in lmii is that you can pick your own "kit" and have serviced only parts you hate doing. I build my own guitar from total scratch btw, even the kerfing was done from blank or purfing cut from veneer but had excellent guidance.
-Takamine AN10
- My own build DeJonge Standard Steel String
- My own build Santos Hernandez cypress flamengo
- My own build Bubinga Tornavoz classical
- My own build Hammered Dulcimer
- My own build Travel Guitar
Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Best of luck in your building. Keep the pictures and descriptions coming. It helps everyone who's building, plus it's fun and good eye candy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair