The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
Anyone else think for a second he was gonna say get rid of your child? Peace.
Which one shall I get rid of? (Note...this was before the baby...now there are 7!)

Answer below:

Whichever girl is 14 at the time is the one to get rid of!

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 11-23-2009, 11:37 PM

i am curious, and this is a question for the luthiers, mainly: what would you say is the percentage of people that end up returning an instrument over the entire length of your time as a builder? The number is probably very small and I would imagine that folks investing time and finances into a custom instrument would do the research for a particular builder but even then, you really can't tell if you will like an instrument until you play that first note. I am asking this because a previous post noted that they lost some potential customers because they asked a lot of questions -I would take the interest and thoroughness of the luthier as a good thing, not a reason to run! As a scientist, I've always adopted the rule: more info is always better.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht77 View Post
-I would take the interest and thoroughness of the luthier as a good thing, not a reason to run! As a scientist, I've always adopted the rule: more info is always better.
Absolutely!
I'm not a scientist, but I've gone through the custom build process twice. There are some important things, IMO, to keep in mind in order to ensure a successful guitar for a player and minimize the likelihood of a mismatch:
- As a client, it's crucial that you know and identify what it is that you're looking for in a custom build. Writing it down helps.
- Being able to communicate those wishes to the builder clearly, so that he or she gets the proper roadmap. That's where the active feedback and interaction of the luthier come in. Tonal goals are very subjective. The language used often imprecise. Good luthiers (will) know which questions to ask.
- Be realistic about your level of playing ability.

Individual builders these days are so good. Their hit ratio, i.e. building that which it is you seek, will be very high if the road ahead is clear.
An instrument which doesn't pan out would probably still be a great guitar, just not one for the particular client. That can happen of course, but following the above guidelines as a client should help avoid those mismatches.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehnsucht77 View Post
i am curious, and this is a question for the luthiers, mainly: what would you say is the percentage of people that end up returning an instrument over the entire length of your time as a builder? The number is probably very small and I would imagine that folks investing time and finances into a custom instrument would do the research for a particular builder but even then, you really can't tell if you will like an instrument until you play that first note. I am asking this because a previous post noted that they lost some potential customers because they asked a lot of questions -I would take the interest and thoroughness of the luthier as a good thing, not a reason to run! As a scientist, I've always adopted the rule: more info is always better.
I've never had one returned, but I've re shaped the neck on one to satisfy a client.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop