The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-17-2009, 02:17 PM

690: Your "harem" is going to very nice when you get all the guitars on order delivered. It will be interesting to see which beauty gets top billing. All will have a different voice I suspect. What are you thinking will be your most played guitar?

My basses get a semi-regular rotation but I keep coming back to the Fodera most often. That 100 year old BRW fingerboard has some magic in it. The grain pattern is really quite something. Do you ever find BRW on acoustic guitar fingerboards?

Last edited by OliveFodera; 06-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveFodera View Post
690: Your "harem" is going to very nice when you get all the guitars on order delivered. It will be interesting to see which beauty gets top billing. All will have a different voice I suspect. What are you thinking will be your most played guitar? My basses get a regular rotation but I keep coming back to the Fodera more often. That 100 year old BRW fingerboard has some magic in it.

Sounds like you have a killer Fodera there! I was going to get one over a decade ago and even then the wait times were long.

What gets the most play depends on the mood, the set that I'm preparing for, etc. Lately, what has been getting alot of play is my PRS Private Stock Custom 24 (I can't get enough of the braz fretboard/neck and all the ivory/gold inlays and as you say, there is something special about the braz. Now that my board is all wired up and is only missing my Red Witch Empress (should be here in the next few days), I've been having a blast with it (so much easier to dial in than my GT-8). Not getting much sleep, but a valid tradeoff for that huge smile on my face.

On the acoustic side it's really all over the map, but that's the great thing about having a Hall of Fame kinda team to choose from.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM
happiness

Wow, that's going to be amazing.

Fliss
Old 06-17-2009, 02:38 PM

690: When I feel like some electric, I reach for a Custom Walnut body SC that I had Taylor make for me. It runs through a Two Rock Custom Reverb Sig 2 amp. Your PRS is one sweet guitar. The Anderson DT is also a winner. What a nice collection!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveFodera View Post
690: When I feel like some electric, I reach for a Custom Walnut body SC that I had Taylor make for me. It runs through a Two Rock Custom Reverb Sig 2 amp. Your PRS is one sweet guitar. The Anderson DT is also a winner. What a nice collection!
Thanks man. Not to threadjack my own thread (is that even possible?) but the PRS is crazy good. Total tone hound on steroids...
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Thanks Danny. I totally dig your music and am so grateful that you turned me on to my Doerr. A winner guitar for sure that is in good company on my team of guitars!

Michael recently changed the voicings of his guitars so his recently ones are simply amazing...

Thanks, 690! I appreciate the kind words about my tunes. I'm glad you're still enjoying your Doerr. I have one of his guitars on order myself...

Kindly,
Danny
Old 06-18-2009, 05:55 AM

Here's a picture of the headstock in ebony, which will be what I'll be getting, along the matching braz backplate.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 PM

Heads up for those interested in a Greenfield fan fret but don't want to deal with the wait. Word has it that Michael has this one available... (I think it's the same kind that Andy McKee plays)

I like the aesthetic choices here with the black bindings to match the head and top as well the lighter wood trim on around the soundboard to match the back and sides as well as the backplate of the head. Arm bevel in ebony is nice as well to go with the theme.

Man....it's a fan fret too....

Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 PM

Oh yes indeed. I played that guitar in Montreal. really good!!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

Last edited by Michael Watts; 07-08-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: apparently I said a rude word.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Oh yes indeed. I played that guitar in Montreal. **** good!!
Sweet Michael! What was it like? Details for us inquiring minds
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM

It was/is very, very good! That huge FAT Greenfield sound, like holding a baby hurricane in your lap. Wonderful fit and finish. I got the chance to hang with Mike in his workshop. The attention to detail and the sheer amount of love he puts into his work is a pleasure to see. Still, I prefer the one we've got! Something about all that Macassar ebony!!

Melissa Greener was there too picking up her new G2 sunburst fanfret. She played an awesome set with it later that day.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
It was/is very, very good! That huge FAT Greenfield sound, like holding a baby hurricane in your lap. Wonderful fit and finish. I got the chance to hang with Mike in his workshop. The attention to detail and the sheer amount of love he puts into his work is a pleasure to see. Still, I prefer the one we've got! Something about all that Macassar ebony!!

Melissa Greener was there too picking up her new G2 sunburst fanfret. She played an awesome set with it later that day.
Thanks man! I heard Melissa's set really rocked the house. I've played several Greenfields as well and as you say, they are HUGE sounding. The one at your shop looks awesome Michael - I can only imagine that it sounds as good as it looks!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Yeah, it's huge, recorded it before I left for Canada so it should be on our site too soon. It has a side port too which helps you "feel the heat in the driving seat" (I can't believe I just said that, I must still be jet-lagged! )
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 PM

Another unbelievably beautiful guitar on the way! You have some of the finest guitars I have ever seen. I'll bet they all sound fantastic. Congrats on this new Greenfield you've ordered.

Here's a picture using your wood that I hope helps you visualize how the guitar might look.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaylor View Post
Another unbelievably beautiful guitar on the way! You have some of the finest guitars I have ever seen. I'll bet they all sound fantastic. Congrats on this new Greenfield you've ordered.

Here's a picture using your wood that I hope helps you visualize how the guitar might look.

Words can't describe so I'll just slobber (thanks man!).....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop