The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Default 1/2 size tuned E-E?

Hi everyone,
I'm still seeking a very good quality 1/2 size (smaller might be okay as well) which is tuned E-E (not A-A as so many are).

Any recommendations for very good quality, smaller guitars tuned in E-E? (I have contacted several builders but I don't think I want to commission a guitar at this point.)

Thank you.

Jill
San Diego
Old 03-29-2011, 03:14 AM

Hi Jill

You can tune a 1/2 sized guitar any way you want. E - E will just mean that the tension of the strings is lower than normal. If you do want to use that tuning I would recommend that you use hard (or, even better, extra hard) tension strings - something like La Bella 850B-HT.

I believe Aria do a range of "Ensemble" guitars - might be worth checking them. Otherwise you might just have to check some of the cheaper ones on the market - not many manufacturers make these small guitars.

PS. Just found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ortega-R121-...390537&sr=8-32

It looks pretty good - you might try searching some US sale sites?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM

If youre worried about learning new chord shapes you wont. A-A will have the same shapes its just like having a capo on the 5th fret of a full size guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical