The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-27-2005, 08:19 PM

It is sounding like I should go with a non-tube amp for what I need... Now I just need to find one that is affordable...

How about the effects pedals and stuff, now?

Thanks,
Brian

2003 Taylor 314CE-LTD Koa
2004 Tradition S20 (Les Paul Copy)
1999 Yamaha F-310 (my beaten up beater, but it sounds great for a laminate!)
Old 05-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by esau911
...How about the effects pedals and stuff, now?
Hi esau911...
I have owned & sold a lot of amps over the past 30 years, and tons of pedals and effects units. Right now I'm really happy with both my Roland Cube amps. Compact and great features, and plenty of sound...and a headphone jack which cuts the speaker.

The amp has different amp models and effects built in (no pedals needed). All the fun you could want in a small package.

The Cube 30 with 10'' speaker for $225.00 (a student has one of these).
Heck, for $100 you can get the 15 Watt 8'' speaker model.

I use a Cube 60 for gigging, and a micro cube for living room jams.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-28-2005, 12:16 AM

I would try a Line 6 Spider II. I have played Rolands small cube amps and they to me don`t come close to the Line 6. You can go with the Spider II 30 which is a 4 channel( 4 amp models) that is 30 watt and a 12'' celestian speaker. These babies are LOUD!! my boy has the Spider II 15 ( 15 watt w/ 8" speaker and is loud enough on around 3 to 4 to hear outside the house.

Or you can go with the Line 6 spider II 1-12 which is a 75 watt 1-12 speaker. I had one and they are great. can use 3 FX at once

check here for more info- they have sound bites too-
http://www.line6.com/spiderII/about_30.html

http://www.line6.com/spiderII/about_112.html

most of the spider II 30s run $199 while the spider II 1-12 is $299. you can get a floorboard for the spider II 1-12 that allows 36 user presets and turn the FX on and off like stomp boxes.

As far as modeling amps go I have heard none better. As close to Tube you will get without going tube and without all the fussiness of tube and inconsistant tones of tube( weather - humidity- temp -old tubes etc.) Once you get the tone you want with the Line 6 it will be the same no matter what the circumstance.

Lee

Last edited by leeasam; 05-28-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:02 AM

I need to chime in here.....I must wholeheartedly agree with Larry J. I have the Roland Micro Cube and frankly, that thing is hard to beat. Sounds excellent, built in effects that are usable(Roland owns Boss-need I say more?),amp modeling, surprisingly loud, and you can go direct out to the PA via a jack on the back. It also has the option of running on batteries. Many major rock and rollers go for the small amp mic'd method in studio or record direct (Podxt), the days of the gargantuan half stacks are over. Seriously, check it for yourself, you'll be amazed at the cube, all for like $125. I use mine at home with a Fender Strat and I love it.

Quote:
I bought a Tradition Les Paul copy used for less than $200. It is a really fine instrument, and everyone I've talked to has said it is better built than a true Gibson Les Paul...
Now as for this statement.....hmmm....I don't doubt your friends, I just doubt that they've ever seen a Les Paul.

Last edited by whamonkey; 05-28-2005 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:35 AM

I second the Line 6 Spider II in 30 watts. I play through headphones all the time . It allows me to play any time and remain living in my house. But for great tube sound , when my "ever suffering" spouse is away, I crank up my Fender Deluxe Reverb and /or my Tech 21 trademark 60. Sometimes I just have to really "feel" it.

2005 American Telecaster
2003 American Strat
2004 Les Paul Classic
2003 914c LTD L1 Venetian
2003 914c LTD L2 Florentine
Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe Mandolin
Home studio built around a Tascam 2488

Last edited by tac5; 05-29-2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:40 AM

My advice is the Blues Jr., which is a nice little practice amp. When the time comes to pay a gig you can tote it along without being diappointed. I like the tubes even at low volume. There are a lot of very fine small amps on the market but I like the little Blues Jr.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-28-2005, 07:33 PM

Hi Esau,

I haven't had a good amp since I sold my '68 Fender Bassman in 1993. I recently purchased an '04 Gibson Melody Maker and needed an amp. I shopped around and listened to audio samples on MF, read endless reviews and finally settled on the VOX AD30VT modeling amp with the Valve-Reactor power amp. It's very flexible, with 11 amp models and 11 effect/multi-fx settings. It's sounds great with real tube power amp tone and gets pretty darn loud for 30Watts and a 10" speaker.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the real deal, so I'm not such a "tone snob," but this amp helps me sound better than I ever have. That's my 2 cents.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Theodore Seuss Geisel

'04 Gibson Melody Maker
Ampeg J-20 Jet
Electro-Harmonix Holy Stain
Boss DS-1
Baggs Para D.I.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamonkey
Now as for this statement.....hmmm....I don't doubt your friends, I just doubt that they've ever seen a Les Paul.
I really appreciate the advice, and I'm going to check in on a couple of these...

As for the Les Paul thing, you must be talking about older Les Pauls that are built well. A friend of mine has a 2003 Gibson Les Paul that is falling apart on him... He likes my Tradition a lot better. I know 2 other guys who are very unhappy with their recent-build Les Pauls. I have also played a few Les Pauls and, my Tradition has the same weight and feel as a Gibson, and it cost a 10th of what my buddy paid for his Gibson.

No doubt, Gibson used to make some awesome Les Pauls, but everyone I have talked to (even some Gibson dealers) give the nod to Tradition... I would urge you to check em out for yourself and see what you think...

That being said, I would still love to have a nice vintage Gibson someday, but never any of the newer stuff.

Old 05-28-2005, 09:10 PM

By the way, I was trying to be argumentative, just giving my $0.02...

Of course, with the rate of inflation, my $0.02 probably isn't worth much anymore!!!! *HA*

Old 05-28-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate the advice, and I'm going to check in on a couple of these...

As for the Les Paul thing, you must be talking about older Les Pauls that are built well. A friend of mine has a 2003 Gibson Les Paul that is falling apart on him... He likes my Tradition a lot better. I know 2 other guys who are very unhappy with their recent-build Les Pauls. I have also played a few Les Pauls and, my Tradition has the same weight and feel as a Gibson, and it cost a 10th of what my buddy paid for his Gibson.

No doubt, Gibson used to make some awesome Les Pauls, but everyone I have talked to (even some Gibson dealers) give the nod to Tradition... I would urge you to check em out for yourself and see what you think...

That being said, I would still love to have a nice vintage Gibson someday, but never any of the newer stuff.
I own 4 Les Pauls. None of them are falling apart. My suggestion is to go play a Les Paul back to back w/ what you got. No salesperson will say anything negative if there is a chance of a sale regardless of brand.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
It is sounding like I should go with a non-tube amp for what I need... Now I just need to find one that is affordable...

How about the effects pedals and stuff, now?

Thanks,
Brian
You might want to take a good look at what Electro-Harmonix offers in effects.
'69 Les Paul Deluxe
Old 05-29-2005, 01:38 PM

Tube amps are great but their main problem is when you get the tubes singing, THEY ARE SO LOUD!!!! I have a YCV 40 and I have to use an attenuator to get it to usable volume in my basement. It is too loud for church without the attenuator even on 3. Less volume = thin sound. A 15 watt YCV 20 isn't 1/2 as loud as a YCV 40, it is only 10% less loud. A 6 watt Champ will blast you out of your basement if you get the tubes singing. My solution is a Roland Cube 30. It is the same price as thy cheapest attenuator and it gives you 95% of the tone and is powerful enough for church. Tube amps are for recording and people who play in gigging bands with a drummer.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:04 PM

I'll also throw in my suggestion for a Roland Cube. I've got a Cube 30 sitting under a table I use all the time, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 2x10 that I hardly ever plug in, and a Marshall AVT50 half-stack that I doubt I'll ever use.. but the price was right and you never know when you'll need it.. you never know..

Anyways, I'd also like to say Roland's micro cube seems to be a really incredible little amp for the amazingly good sound it puts out. 2 watts of pure electric fun. (2 is a lot more sound than you'd think)

For around 100 bones you get a whole mess of modelled amps along with a few effects (2 active at any one time) and can then play with them all and decide if you want to purchase one of the 'real' amps it models.

~Avo

p.s. Guess I could use the Marshall to stun any blackbirds that get into my wife's garden..

----------
'09 Les Paul Traditional
'93 "Lucky" Taylor 910 (a.k.a. pawn shop rescue)
'62/'09 Fender AVRI Precision
Old 05-31-2005, 02:03 PM

I recently bought a Vox AD30VT and I'm grinning from ear to ear. My Strat has never sounded so good..
Old 05-31-2005, 04:00 PM

You might want to check out a Fender G-Dec. This is a small digital practice amp with 50 presets as well as a drum and bass track and a midi input. I play my Les Paul through it and am pleased with it. Im not crazy with all the presets but you can mix and match amps and effects and create some very good tone. The volume is good enough for my needs and my living room. Check it out and see what you think!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars