The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-27-2005, 09:12 AM

Question Les Paul Advice

Hello all,

I've been playing acoustic guitar for a couple of years, but I have recently stepped into the realm of electric. I bought a Tradition Les Paul copy used for less than $200. It is a really fine instrument, and everyone I've talked to has said it is better built than a true Gibson Les Paul...

That being said, I know nothing about amplifying this thing. I have been borrowing a friends oversized gorilla of an amp for about a month now, but you can't really do a whole lot with it.

Considering that I will probably never gig out, with the exception of playing at church every now and then, what would be a pretty inexspensive option for me to go with so far as an amp, pedals, and effects? Keep in mind that I will be playing mainly at home, and if I should play at church, we have a great P/A system that I could run everything through.

Any advice? I'm really not looking to spend a lot of money. Hey, I'm on a preacher's salary!!! *HA*

Thanks in advance!!!!

2003 Taylor 314CE-LTD Koa
2004 Tradition S20 (Les Paul Copy)
1999 Yamaha F-310 (my beaten up beater, but it sounds great for a laminate!)
Old 05-27-2005, 09:19 AM

You might want to check out some of the mid priced Crate stuff. They can be had for very small dollars..especially used. They have some nice built in effects and adapt nicely to most aplications and pedals/effects. They are all digital so the sound is not like a big tube amp, but very clean and uncomplicated.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:32 AM

Dthumb... thanks for that advice... although, several people I've talked to have said that I should go with a tube amp and get pedals for my effects. This gives a different perspective... I'm still kinda lost.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:55 AM

If you're not needing the amp for gigging, and unless you live miles away from your nearest neighbour, I suggest you avoid a valve/tube amp. To get the classic rock tones out a tube amp you need to crank up the volume to overload the power valves, and these babies are LOUD! Some boutique manufacturers make tube amps in 6watt versions so you can overload the power valves at lower volume, but then you're talking major expense.

I reckon that solid state/digital or modelling is definately the way you want to go for home use.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:18 AM

To explain loud, even if you put it in a closet and play outside the closet, it could be too loud for your family/neighbor. That's how loud it is.

I suggest the cybertwin by Fender. I have one. They use a tube preamp and solid state amp. You can get the tube sound at low volumes.

Of course - nothing can replace a real tube amp. I am not saying the cybertwin will get you an exact tube amp sound. But it comes pretty close - depending on personal taste.

Besides, tube amps at low volumes sounds bad. The cybertwin at low volume actually sound better than a tube amp at low volume.

But then, few people have the space and resources (sound room) to let their tube amp crank. I think a famous guitar player said that at one stage of his life, he was almost deaf. I rather have my hearing. As I get older, all tube amps appeal less and less to me.

Tube amps require tender loving care. Something simple like putting a cover on an amp before shutting it down can cause a fire/malfunction. Turning on the amp without speakers will damage it. Too much vibration may cause the amp to go bad. Tube blow at the most inconvient time, like right before a gig. You need spare tubes, fuses etc. The list goes on.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:19 AM

Brian,

Try out a Tech21 Trademark 10 amp. Great little SS amp, can plug headphones in to jam late at night without disturbing the family and can also use the headphone jack as an out to go to the PA system if needed.

I have a POD 2.0 that I use for my electric guitar at home. Since that is the only place I use my electric, it works perfect for my needs. Many other have spoke of using a POD plugged to a PA with great results, though I have not personally tried it.

Hope this helps a little!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:17 PM

Thanks Matt... by the way, we should get together sometime... I'm guessing we live not too far from each other, since you go to Hoosier Harvest.

Later man.

Brian

Old 05-27-2005, 12:32 PM

I've enjoyed my Fender Champ tube amp for 30 years. The Pro Junior is a bit louder but still reasonable.

Fran
Old 05-27-2005, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esau911
Thanks Matt... by the way, we should get together sometime... I'm guessing we live not too far from each other, since you go to Hoosier Harvest.

Later man.

Brian
I agree......though finding extra time seems to be tough. Shoot me an e-mail and we'll see what we can work out.

Matt
[email protected]
Old 05-27-2005, 01:58 PM

inexpensive? podxt live. You as well as the your sound techs won't have to worry about stage volume at all.

If you wanted a cheaper tube amp, I'd go Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Blues Jr. and get a couple pedals (you could go to a local guitar store to try them out).
'06 Bourgeois Signature D Adi/Brazilian
Old 05-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Good points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by esau911
Dthumb... thanks for that advice... although, several people I've talked to have said that I should go with a tube amp and get pedals for my effects. This gives a different perspective... I'm still kinda lost.
AShaw is right about the finickiness of tubes but, if you want THAT sound only tubes will give it. I guess it all depends on your tastes and needs. I use both types, tube and digital, for different things.The old Super Reverb I use is major LOUD and very fussy. The fender Acoustisonic is very uncomplicated and clean but stinks for anything that is not a hollowbody. I use a small Crate for just messing about and portability...not bad but, not great either.
The bigger crates sound much better, though. And its hard to argue against Fender for anything electric in my book.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:55 PM

Fender Blues Jr. !!! I borrowed a friends the other day and oh my! I NEED one of those!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 04:47 PM

If you're looking for good clean solid state, may I suggest you look at a small Roland or Polytone. To my ears, they do very well with humbuckers.
'69 Les Paul Deluxe
Old 05-27-2005, 07:52 PM

Carvin has a pretty neat small amp also.

http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...NTAGE16&CID=GA

Another one.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/481959/

I have not heard either one, but heard some good reports on them.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:57 PM

Check out the Traynor YCV20. It's an all tube amp with a 12" Celestion speaker.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars