The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2024, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Found a Crack in a New-to-Me Guild: Shoud I Return?

Hi AGF,

I've been sniffing around a '76 Guild D44M for sale here in Seattle for months. I finally took it home on Saturday night, but despite a lot of playtime in the store before purchase, I somehow missed a crack in the soundhole near the neck. I asked the store guys about neck stability and angle etc. and they didn't mention the crack (they did assure me that the neck should be stable and fine for a long time). There's a chance it cracked since it came home, but it's been two nights and it's been cased except when I've had it out. If it did crack in the last 48 hours, it was inevitable.

The crack:

From the other direction:

How big a deal is this, in your knowledge and/or opinion? Structural? Cosmetic?

Think I should return it? I have tomorrow and maybe Wednesday to decide.

Why I bought an ol' Guild:

It sounds great! My intention was to get a pickup dropped into it and use it as my playing-out guitar and possible gigger (when I start doing that). It's very different from my other guitars, and I've never had a dread (somehow).

I didn't intend to buy maple dread or a Guild in particular, but this one kept calling to me. It's very loud. On a prior visit, I got hushed for playing it because I was drowning out a conversation fully across the store. It's eerily responsive, one of those "more than the sum of its parts" guitars that comes alive when you play (it's heavy, too!). It loves fingerstyle.

Shop context:

The shop guys were firm on the already reduced price, so I'm not sure there's much haggling to be done. They put me on the repair schedule for the pickup install, so I could try to ask them to fix it then.

Would it be an easy thing to fix?

Crack info:

It definitely reaches to the rosette. I think I might see more of it or a related crack between the neck and the pickguard past the rosette. When I put a flashlight into the soundhole and shined up, I could see one pinprick of light between the neck and the pickguard past the rosette: there's at least one teeny tiny hole there. Looking up from the bridge you can see a definite hitch in the spruce where the crack is. It's not flush.

Tip of the cap:

Shoutout to FingahPickah and the rest of the D44M fans. During my research phase I found many D44M posts from over the years, and they confirm that these are pretty special guitars.

Thanks for any thoughts and wisdom.

The rest: 1994 G&L ASAT with Porter pickups. '70s Dobro dobro. Recording King banjo. Bushman harmonicas. 1920s Concertone banjo uke. Amps: '65 Champ, Boss Katana.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:03 PM

If you love the guitar, have the shop fix it and use it as your gigging guitar as planned. I don’t think cracks ruin the sound of the guitar, just the resale value for some guitars.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! That's one vote for "get it fixed."

The rest: 1994 G&L ASAT with Porter pickups. '70s Dobro dobro. Recording King banjo. Bushman harmonicas. 1920s Concertone banjo uke. Amps: '65 Champ, Boss Katana.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:58 PM
Runaway Tomato

Here’s another vote for “get it fixed”. If you love the guitar, the small charge would be worth it. Additionally, since you bought it from a shop, why not mention it to them? Who knows what they’ll do, especially to keep a customer. ��
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-27-2024, 02:13 AM

Get it fixed or even easier let it be. I shouldn’t think that crack would have anything to do with longevity and even more important tone.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Might be a hard case to return it, nor does it seem necessary, esp if you like it otherwise. Would be worth having a luthier peek inside and see if he or she recommends a cleat and glue. Also make sure the one or two braces arent affected or need reglued. Should not be an expensive or complicated task, but worth it to preserve a vintage Guild. They are wonderful guitars!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-27-2024, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

It is an almost 50 year old guitar. And apparently you like it, since you've ben looking at it for months.

Unless you paid a price like it's a pristine guitar, I think you should hang on to it. If the shop has a good repair department, you could ask them to cleat the crack as part of the deal.

I do think the crack should be repaired since it's in a bad spot, but I'll bet it's a great old guitar that you'll have a hard time finding another like it.

I have a '79 D-35 with two repaired top cracks. I love that old guitar. It's not vintage, it's not classic, it's just a great sounding old guitar.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

I agrée with the above. If you paid mint price then that’d be a case to return , but if it was a fair or good deal , when I’d keep it and have it repaired.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:39 AM

It won't hurt to ask them if they will repair it rather than have you return it. This is a common place for cracks to appear. and, as cracks go, not a huge life-threatening deal. If they refuse, then you have a decision to make.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
It is an almost 50 year old guitar. And apparently you like it, since you've ben looking at it for months.

Unless you paid a price like it's a pristine guitar, I think you should hang on to it. If the shop has a good repair department, you could ask them to cleat the crack as part of the deal.

I do think the crack should be repaired since it's in a bad spot, but I'll bet it's a great old guitar that you'll have a hard time finding another like it.

I have a '79 D-35 with two repaired top cracks. I love that old guitar. It's not vintage, it's not classic, it's just a great sounding old guitar.
This was going to be my first comment. This is a 50-year old guitar, and that is a very common place for guitars to crack (along the edge of the fretboard extension). It should be supported on the underside if it isn’t. My guess is that they didn’t draw attention to the crack since it’s pretty obvious, and it sounds as if the “already reduced price” took into account the condition of the guitar.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the shout TyB.

Shoutout to FingahPickah and the rest of the D44M fans. During my research phase I found many D44M posts from over the years, and they confirm that these are pretty special guitars.

They are indeed "pretty special guitars".

I doubt that the crack is a real concern. I would, however, show it to a reputable repair technician for your own peace of mind.

A thought:
I would be willing to bet the seller/shop might grant you an extra week or so beyond the return period to accomplish that. It's a reasonable request and a likely win/win.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 02-27-2024 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I would fix it. Cracks are common in 50-60 year old guitars. I fixed quite a few in a 1963 LG-0 that had been left in a closet for nearly 35 years.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:54 AM

Fix it if it makes you feel better, or don’t fix it, but either way I’d keep it. I have an old Guild of that vintage (a ‘78 D40-C). Mine has 3 or 4 or maybe 5 cracks in it from before I got it, and it just sounds better all the time. I’ve had it for about 12 years I’d guess, and have never had any cracks repaired. They haven’t got worse and I don’t see any signs of degradation. I’m leaving well enough alone until something obviously needs repair.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

One easily glued and clamped cleat would cover that.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

This is the most unanimous thread I've ever seen on the forum. Thank you everyone! I'll talk with them about getting a repair done when they add the pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion