The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2024, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I have one and have used it several times, but I prefer to use my D'addario pro winder with the cutter on it. Just seems to work faster for me.
Yes I use the multi tool too. Winder, trimmer and pin puller. I've changed strings on guitars literally hundreds of times and I can't say I love it but I usually like the results and its very routine now so I can enjoy listening to music or podcasts while I do it.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
I hate getting started changing strings, but once I am doing it I sort of get into it, and take my time, and then I start doing stuff like cleaning the fret board, polishing the frets, etc., snd then I am enjoying myself. It's the thought of getting started, every time, that makes me super anxious. it's like that old Mitch Hedburg joke about starting flossing is more stressful than quitting smoking, lol. Hey man, you seem real edgy, did you just quit smoking? No, I am about to change strings.
Mr. Anxious here also, but yes, once I get everything out and set up on the kitchen table, I thoroughly enjoy changing strings and any other maintenance issues. Don’t forget to date when you change your strings and put it in case. Just started doing that about six months ago and now my string changes happen every two months (fits how long and how much I play)

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 02-23-2024, 10:57 AM

I have a dedicated work bench for guitar Maintenace.

I don't mind the process at all. I just take my time, and go through the process kind of methodically.

Everything is pretty well organized which does make a difference.

I also track the dates too! LOL! I have a little card or piece of note paper in each case. I add the type of string, and what else I did
polish frets, hydrate fretboard, check intonation (if electric)..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-23-2024, 11:25 AM

that string changing is some serious business, thankfully i have it down to a fine art over 50 yrs of practice...sit down on couch, loosen strings take thuddy sounding strings off and put new strings on...now if i could only play as well as i can change strings

Last edited by Jaxon; 02-23-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:19 PM

I didn’t serve in the military but I have seen enough movies about basic training that I channel that learn-how-to-care-for-your-rifle energy when I’m changing my strings. I don’t totally time myself, but I’ve worked over the years to make it a smooth, worthwhile process.

And like many on this thread, for me new strings are too… zingy when they’re new.

Okay two more things:
- I love the color-coded pairing of D’Addario strings, to the point that I use them exclusively.
- Waaay back when my guitar had a pinless bridge. I miss that.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I find it therapeutic. Put on some soft music of choice. Usually 60's or 70's easy listening volume down low.

Remove strings, polish frets, oil fretboard, if necessary, clean guitar, restring, check truss rod, adjust as necessary, tune, stretch, tune stretch strings, until they stop stretching.

If a battery in the sound hole, change battery when strings are off.

When I was playing in me band. I was the one who wanted to do whatever I could to make it sound better.

I would keep all guitars used, clean, with fresh strings, and intonated.

I was the youngest by 10 years. And am the only guitarist left.

I do my stuff. Occasionally for others in the area. When I first moved to the area. I went into my local mom & pop store. Intonated all the electrics, and basses in the store, right before Christmas.

Told owner it was my way of fighting Corporate GC guitars, that are basically unplayable off the wall.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:25 AM

In honor of this thread - my D28 got a new set of D'addario 13-56's NB this morning. Hmm . . . new strings.
2023 Eastman E1D-Sp
2023 Larrivee D03
Old 02-24-2024, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I changed my routine somewhat on a trial basis. I don't stretch out the new strings anymore. In a separate post another forumite mentioned that he (or she) no longer does it so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I don't play in public so a little more initial tuning isn't a problem and possibly the strings will hold on to their new string tone a bit longer. Time will tell.

I'm currently using D'Addario XS lights. Expensive but long lasting or so I've been told.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:59 PM

Default enjoy changing strings....

I find it meditative, plus I keep a spreadsheet of which strings, date changed, and first impressions. Every guitar is different of course, and your taste may not be mine, but so far Martin MA540 is my fave on pretty much everything...
Old 02-24-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneray View Post
I find it meditative, plus I keep a spreadsheet of which strings, date changed, and first impressions. Every guitar is different of course, and your taste may not be mine, but so far Martin MA540 is my fave on pretty much everything...

I’ve used the Martin strings, but I had a string break, at the bridge, on a set of 550T strings and I don’t trust them, after that. It’s the only string I’ve ever had break on me and it happened in the first song of a show and I will never use them again. XS mediums have earned their way as my permanent strings, on all my guitars, from now on.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-24-2024, 02:46 PM

I was about to say that you must be new to guitars, but you joined in 2011, so not so new. I hate changing strings, and I have a few guitars that can really use string changes too.

In fact, your post made me decide to change my Martin D18's strings today. I'll make that happen. Thank you.
Old 02-24-2024, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I was about to say that you must be new to guitars, but you joined in 2011, so not so new. I hate changing strings, and I have a few guitars that can really use string changes too.

In fact, your post made me decide to change my Martin D18's strings today. I'll make that happen. Thank you.
I got the sense that Tnfiddler started this thread because there were two concurrent threads at the time about how much people hated to change stings.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, we had the opposite question a little while ago, but anyway to answer your question , yes I enjoy my string changing ritual.
It usually includes removing the old strings, and cleaning and polishing all outside services then checking the inside for squatters, and restringing.
I put 'em on in a strict order - 6,1,5,2,4,3 - same for 12 strings - it stops me getting in my own way. Then I tune it approximately, stretch the strings and retune play a few heavy handed chords - retune and its done for another 2-3 months.

Here's my workshop and the handsome young guy showing the tools for the job is me:
Old 02-25-2024, 07:10 AM

Back in the 70's/80's when I lived in an un-air-conditioned place in Texas and practiced 8 hours a day, 7 days a week and gigged 5 - 6 nights a week (8pm - 2am) I would changed strings on half a dozen guitars each week. Didn't mind it - can't recall it being something I dreaded.

But these days, I change strings on a guitar maybe once every other month and I procrastinate as long as possible as I'd rather spend that time playing vs. changing strings.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

I enjoy it, in fact I prefer changing strings on slot heads, which will no doubt elicit some groans... the only problem is that most the time it will eat into my daily practice routine, as I already can't justify the amount of time I spend with my guitars in my busy life. But of course, it's well worth it to change them when it's time
Beard resonator Englemann/walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion