The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 AM

Guys in the gasoline delivery business will tell you that the trucks pick up the same gasoline at the same places for all their customers . . be it Shell, Exxon, Quik Trip, etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Musical minimalist

I always use 87 in my Hondas......my current 2013 Civic has had no issues at all, in fact, the other night I drove to my old hometown - 100 miles on 2 lanes at 55 most of the way (with stops/slowdowns in small towns) and got 46.2 mpg on a car that is rated at 39 highway.

About once every 4-5 tanks I go to the dollar store and get a gas treatment before a fill up, especially in the months when the temp can vary greatly and you can get condensation in the tank.

I've also been told many times over the years don't ever pump gas when the truck is there refilling the station, as it may kick up sediments in the tanks.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've also been told many times over the years don't ever pump gas when the truck is there refilling the station, as it may kick up sediments in the tanks.
Except for the fact that two minutes after the truck is gone, you have NO IDEA that it was just there, and the sediments STILL haven't settled.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Guys in the gasoline delivery business will tell you that the trucks pick up the same gasoline at the same places for all their customers . . be it Shell, Exxon, Quik Trip, etc.
That's my understanding as well. All comes from same regional or nearest refinery. But supposedly made to different standards as far as additives etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
But supposedly made to different standards as far as additives etc.
I think it's more "supposedly" than not.

I thought I heard that there were only a few "additive" packages available. Some places MIGHT get more of it than others.

But then again, I'm pretty sure the guys who drive the trucks might know more about that than we do. Of course, maybe they miss the fact that a different valve is being opened for various customers.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I'm not sure where they get their gas from, but if I run more than a couple tankfuls of regular, my check engine light comes on. The truck still seems to run fine, though. If I switch to Shell or Chevron or BP, the light will go off after about one and a half tanks...
Exactly the same thing here. Shortly after I purchased my Lexus, the check engine light came on, so I had it read and it was some sort of emissions thing. So I checked about it on the Lexus message boards, and several people mentioned switching to Shell and it would go off after a tank or so. Sure enough, after switching to Shell, it went off. Tried a different brand, came back on, so I switched back to Shell and it's been off since.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Just to clarify. My vehicle ran OK most of the time on the 87 octane gas. But there did seem to be occasional tank fulls that ran pretty rough. But overall they consistently run better on the mid range.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 AM

Doesn't Oklahoma mandate that their cheapest (lowest octane) gas is 10% ethanol? I thought I read that somewhere. I'm next door in Missouri.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epluribus36 View Post
Doesn't Oklahoma mandate that their cheapest (lowest octane) gas is 10% ethanol? I thought I read that somewhere. I'm next door in Missouri.
I think all grades are ethanol. But no ethanol is available at a higher price in some locations.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 AM

Here in Jefferson Co., KY we use reformulated gas. It supposedly reduces pollution and also decreases gas mileage and engine performance. It also adds about 10 cents to the price of a gallon. You can cross the county line and gas prices immediatly drop. I always try and fill up when I'm out of the county.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:25 AM

I believe the required mix of Ethanol dreck with gasoline may be a Federal mandate, and not just state. I could be wrong.

I prefer to only use Top Tier gasoline in my car, because of the detergent additives:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 AM

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/gasoli.../rfg/areas.htm
I think this is the page showing where federal E10 zone standards exist. I envy you guys who can still buy real gas.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM

For those out there with small engines and only E 10 available, here is nice review of the magic stuff that you need to keep them running.
.http://www.boatingmag.com/gear/boati...el-stabilizers
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM

You guys mean to tell me that ethanol is in ALL of our gas nowadays, except for the expensive stuff? The only place I've ever seen notifications that the lower octane stuff is 10% ethanol is in Oklahoma. I've only been in MO, Arkansas, Texas, Kansas and Oklahoma lately, but still.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:25 AM

Wow, I guess I'm really uninformed. I keep reading that gas is nearly always at least 10% ethanol these days. I don't want to believe this, but it looks like it's undeniable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic