The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Anderlik View Post
I'd caution you to temper your expectations a little bit. In the $1000 and under category most of your choices are what I would call starter instruments. They are or can be a great value in that price range but if you stick with it long enough you will eventually want a professional quality instrument that sounds (and especially) plays better. To me one of the defining characteristics of a great Weissenborn is the resonance/sustain of the instrument and it's playability and resposniveness. Really well made Weissenborn's - vintage or contemporary - have amazing sustain and resonance. I've played many vintage Weissenborn's that I didn't care for - at all - and several that were nothing short of magical. Same with contemporary builders. In the less than $1000 category the instruments that I've played don't have the sparkle/resonance/sustain and playability that I look for in a prototypical great Weissenborn guitar. I can get them to sound ok, especially if I'm playing plugged in, but I don't especially like playing them. All of this, of course, is highly subjective and just my opinion. In any event, I hope this is helpful.
big +1 on this

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments