The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-31-2016, 02:06 PM

Default seagull merlin frets

Has anyone added frets to the Seagull Merlin to make it a chromatic instrument. I have seen on a few other forums that people have done this. My big question is, how do you know where to put the frets so that it's a perfect flat or sharp!! Installing the frets wouldn't be to tough since I have already done some re-frets before.
Thanks
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany
Old 10-02-2016, 05:54 AM

I have added a partial 3rd fret to my Spruce Merlin, to get the 'C' chord, but I had it done at Guitar Center. They did a great job, and were very reasonable on price.

On my Mahogany Merlin, I discovered an alternative tuning that allows you to play all chords with a C-natural root, with no modifications. It is G - C - E-E.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigmaster View Post
I have added a partial 3rd fret to my Spruce Merlin, to get the 'C' chord, but I had it done at Guitar Center. They did a great job, and were very reasonable on price.

On my Mahogany Merlin, I discovered an alternative tuning that allows you to play all chords with a C-natural root, with no modifications. It is G - C - E-E.
Did you change to a slightly heavier set of top strings for this?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-25-2016, 10:53 AM

I bought a Merlin a while back and after purchase, I watched a few youtube videos of people playing their Merlins. I came across one video of a woman who did what you are talking about.

I did not bookmark it so I have no link, but if I remember correctly, she said she used some hair pins (bobby pins?) that she cut the wavy part off and used the flat part as temporary frets. She then moved them up and down the fret board while using a clip-on tuner to find the placement for the notes. Then she marked the fretboard and placed permanent frets. I think she may have just used the hair pins and super glued them to the board because they were the same height as the originals.

Hope this helps somewhat?

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments