The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2021, 10:45 AM

Default High e String Replacement

In my search for a comfortable string gauge set without the harsh brightness that my hearing aids pick up from the high e and b strings of the custom light sets, would it be reasonable to replace the high e 11 gauge string with a 12 gauge while retaining the custom light wound string gauges. I am considering also increasing the string gauge of the b 2nd string. My walnut back and side acoustic seems to ring out the b and e. Any comments about your experiences with customized string sets would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by D-Guitar; 04-25-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:12 AM

Honestly I have never done this, but I see no reason you couldn't and it might improve the playing experience for you. Might be a little hard to find individual strings for sale? But an entire set isn't that expensive so I'd give it a try if I were you.

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 04-25-2021, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

You can buy single strings here. I often use a set of D'Addario EJ17 and replace the 56 6th string with a 53.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:45 AM

Id love to hear other peoples opinions on this

but from my experience going up in treble gauge has made the trebles even louder.

I honestly wish there was an alternative to plain steel treble strings as I have always found them to be rather harsh to my ears
Old 04-25-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonCats View Post
Id love to hear other peoples opinions on this

but from my experience going up in treble gauge has made the trebles even louder.

I honestly wish there was an alternative to plain steel treble strings as I have always found them to be rather harsh to my ears
Hmm, I've not noticed "louder", but "thicker" and less "twangy" from medium gauge trebles vs extra lights. I play flesh only finger style though.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:16 PM

Recently I've been on the look for wound treble strings
So far the lowest gauge I could find was 18's

Another thing I thought of is coated treble strings; the coating around the outside might make them alittle duller compared to plain steels which would be good for me

Last edited by LemonCats; 04-25-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Guitar View Post
In my search for a comfortable string gauge set without the harsh brightness that my hearing aids pick up from the high e and b strings of the custom light sets, would it be reasonable to replace the high e 11 gauge string with a 12 gauge while retaining the custom light wound string gauges. I am considering also increasing the string gauge of the b 2nd string. My walnut back and side acoustic seems to ring out the b and e. Any comments about your experiences with customized string sets would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Hi D-G

I bump all 1st strings up one weight from what the rest of the set is. It's because my ring finger pulls harder than my middle (I'm a fingerstyle player), and the high string is a bit harsher than I like.

When I bump it up a weight, it fixes it for me.

"Why not learn to pluck less with your ring finger?" you ask. Because I'm 72 yrs old and don't want to invest the time when the plan works already.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-25-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi D-G

I bump all 1st strings up one weight from what the rest of the set is. It's because my ring finger pulls harder than my middle (I'm a fingerstyle player), and the high string is a bit harsher than I like.

When I bump it up a weight, it fixes it for me.

"Why not learn to pluck less with your ring finger?" you ask. Because I'm 72 yrs old and don't want to invest the time when the plan works already.

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I've noticed my middle finger pulls a lot harder than my index, something I am still trying to figure out how to balance. I've noticed when I am using just thumb and one finger, I tend to use the middle instead of the index - I always thought that odd.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Guitar View Post
I think would be a reasonable thing to experiment with. You could use TBman's link or go to stringsbymail to buy individual strings. The thicker gauge may make bends harder, if that's important to you. I've gone the other way, and used a set of 11s with thicker bass strings from a set of 12s. It does depend on guitar. On the guitar I am favoring lately, thicker treble strings would probably be a good thing and something I'd like to experiment with, so thanks for posting this thread and jogging that curiosity
Old 04-25-2021, 05:25 PM

I have gotten enough positive input to proceed with this trial. Thanks for the information and the links for sources of single strings. I have checked the websites that were recommended and they have exactly what I will need. This forum is a source of a lot of info, it is appreciated and I enjoy it. The book from AGF contributor Charles Tauber has been a big help with action and relief.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:45 PM

I don't wear my hearing aids when I play, you may want to give that a try.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:01 AM

I use 13-56 and tune down a whole step (so my low and high E is really a D, A is a G, etc.). Works well on me Martin.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

You can tame the harshness with a simple adjustment to your attack. No need to send money. Advice on the house.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
You can tame the harshness with a simple adjustment to your attack. No need to send money. Advice on the house.
By far the best advice, but there will be no money coming, I have already considered that. As Hank, Jr. says "Old habits are Hard to Break"
Old 04-26-2021, 11:35 AM

I usually up the gauge on the high E from .012 to .013 .014 or .015 on guitars that I am using for a lot of slide, to both better support the slide without bottoming out into the frets, but also to give a fuller, more rounded tone. I do the same on my Weissenborn, and might also jump up the 2nd string as well. This is mostly for Open tuning, but it does give a fuller tone to the unwound strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion