The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-07-2016, 05:18 PM

Default A Scale Model Vega Tenor Banjo?

Just realized it's been a solid 30 years since I'd made a complete banjo! The last one was a regular bluegrass instrument, but this time was different.

I've taken to calling it a "5/3 scale model" because I measured up a 12" head, 21" scale 17-fret tenor to get the dimensions. That works out to 20" diameter head, and 34" scale. It's a BASS BANJO, and after 3-4 months of concentrated shop time, I got it done for its first performance last Saturday night.

It'll be a regular with the increasingly popular crazy ensemble, "The Banjo Racketeers," who are seen occasionally in the area.

Here's a photo with Tom Culbertson, who did the lettering and "Harold Teen" illustration:

It was a big project, and I made every bit of it from raw materials, including all the woodwork and metal parts, including the oversize hooks, nuts, tension hoop:

And, even the tuners - after all there are no big Bass Banjo tuners on the market (yet, nuyk, nyuk) so I had to make them, too. They're 12:1 ratio with cool acrylic buttons:

Frank Ford
Old 11-08-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Just realized it's been a solid 30 years since I'd made a complete banjo! The last one was a regular bluegrass instrument, but this time was different.

I've taken to calling it a "5/3 scale model" because I measured up a 12" head, 21" scale 17-fret tenor to get the dimensions. That works out to 20" diameter head, and 34" scale. It's a BASS BANJO, and after 3-4 months of concentrated shop time, I got it done for its first performance last Saturday night.

It was a big project, and I made every bit of it from raw materials, including all the woodwork and metal parts, including the oversize hooks, nuts, tension hoop:

Beautiful work.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:05 AM

That's magnificent, Frank.

I was thinking of you just this evening, as I changed strings on one of my mandolins with your mandolin string crank. That's one of the nicest tools I have in my little stringed instrument toolbox, and I use it all the time.

So thanks for that, too!

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments