The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-27-2016, 10:08 AM

I've spent the week hemming and hawing over this, but Daryl I caved. I'm getting one of those archtop octaves. I did see the contact info you posted over on the Cafe, but just to be safe I sent another email. If I'm giving out a credit card number on the deposit, can't be too careful. It sounds like the first lot is already sold old and I'm in for a long wait, but that's okay, I'm hoping to live a while longer.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:40 AM

I got a call from Peter at Northfield. I'm in! Don't expect it until September but I'm psyched!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

that's sounds great-be sure to bring us a post with pics when you get it-soundclip if you can make one.

I think those Octaves will be killer. I'm still thinking of one, I had talked with Peter about a late fall or early winter build for myself so I could accumulate funds.

I don't think you will have one moment of disappointment.
I have another friend who ordered up as well, I think she is set for an August date.

d
Old 04-28-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
that's sounds great-be sure to bring us a post with pics when you get it-soundclip if you can make one.

I think those Octaves will be killer. I'm still thinking of one, I had talked with Peter about a late fall or early winter build for myself so I could accumulate funds.

d
I have a Zoom H4, so I'll be sure to post something in September.

It's alot of money, so I'll be parting with my Style 1 Tricone to help finance it. I started singing a few years back, and playing out in a plugged in group, so the instrument really doesn't fit what I do anymore and has been sitting unplayed for several years. I hate to let it go, but it deserves a home where it gets played.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
Nice. However, I've seen enough around here to know that you're going to give it a speed neck. And then you're going to sell it in 3 months and buy something else. It's hard to watch the used market getting flooded with speed neck instruments. Don't do it! Please, please, please! I beg of you!
Very nice. But if it were mine I would go speed neck. The only instruments of mine with glossy necks are a couple I still might sell. I don't totally remove the finish, just de-gloss with 0000 steel wool.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:52 AM

Daryl has posted, in detail, some of his work. He's very careful and does a fine job. And yet.

Which is me being inconsistent. I had the tuning heads replaced on my old J-45, and some bridge work done, and a friend of mine, who has a slightly older, '64 J-45 all original, was appalled that I did that. It made for a better playing instrument and that's the only thing I care about. It's not like a '63 or '64 is highly collectible and it wouldn't be a factor if they were. So it's not that I don't understand the philosophy, I just ... I dunno. I don't play any instrument fast enough to benefit from whatever a speed neck is supposed to do for you and that John Hiatt song 'Perfectly Good Guitar' always pops into my head when I see a speed neck. That's a little extreme, but that's me.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:39 PM

I just traded my Martin HD28V for one. It took me a long time to think it over, but I couldn't let the mandolin thought go, and I went through with it. They're absolutely amazing. I couldn't be happier.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:39 AM

I'm still waiting on the Octave I ordered from Northfield back in April. I did talk to Peter 5 weeks ago and he said things have slipped to early October. I sent an email last week and still waiting on an update. I'm starting to chomp at the bit....
Old 12-12-2016, 01:55 PM

I think I was supposed to post something about my new acquisition, which I've had a month now. I can't seem to embed an image so here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ahftxed9pj...ctave.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by Jim_G; 12-20-2016 at 06:21 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments