The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-16-2016, 12:54 PM

Default Broken Luck - Blues King Electro for 10 Bucks...and counting

I walked into a pawn shop the other day and the proprietor was rearranging the guitars on the wall. He said that he needed to make room for some more guitars and handed me this guitar and said, “Ten bucks and it’s yours”. At first I’m like, what cheap guitar is this guy handing me? Then I noticed it was a Gibson and I’m like what? It soon became apparent why he was parting with it so cheap.

It’s a 1994 100th year anniversary edition. It appears to have been played very little as there is no wear on the frets or rosewood fingerboard. The neck is pushed into the body about a quarter inch. There are no signs as how it got smashed that way because there are no nicks or dings on any other part of the guitar except the neck binding. The bridge was pealing up and the top seam has separated. The finish has spider cracks all over. It looks like it was stuck up in the attic or better yet, out in the tool shed for 22 years. Although the neck is straight.

It needs a new top so I’m going to pull the neck and get started on it. I really hate to do it but I’m also going to strip and refinish it. I have some instrument repair experience. I built a balalaika once. I also repair the violins for the local middle school when the kids break the necks off. I have not stripped a guitar before. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I figured I would sign up to this forum and share the experience. I’ll post the progress here with pictures. Cheers!

Good thing I had ten bucks on me at the time!

YDDDYPPP - September 28, 1994, eighth guitar in production that day.
I think Gibson used the older logo design for this model between 1994 & 1996 before being renamed the J-185 EC
essentially it's a J-185 EC
Could the intonation be slightly affected? Possibly? I wonder if the block is cracked or sepparated.
Cracks throughout the laquer finish
Maple Back & Sides. Looks like the Sahara Desert
V-Shaped Neck

Last edited by Tomy Two String; 10-20-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 PM

Default The Decapitator

Heat is your friend.

I don't have to worry about damaging the top and I'm replacing the binding on the neck so a hot knife melts through the glue like butter.

Making of "The Decapitator". (neck pulling jig)

Spool clamps

About to be decapitated

Last edited by Tomy Two String; 10-17-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:42 AM

I'll be watching this one. Looks like a great project.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Quite a project to tackle, but once the top is off you will have easy access to the neck block and any back / side braces inside. That is where things will get interesting. Good luck!

Based on the body damage it looks like the guitar was dropped vertically on the headstock somehow, or perhaps stepped on right where the neck joins the body. Ouch!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Based on the body damage it looks like the guitar was dropped vertically on the headstock somehow, or perhaps stepped on right where the neck joins the body. Ouch!
It would appear that way but there is no sign such as a dent on the headstock or bottom. Besides the chip on the side of the neck and the finish, the guitar is in pristine shape. Like it was damaged soon after it was acquired and it was under constant string tension for 20 years, up in the attic. It had 5 strings on it when I got it. Probably the originals.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:07 AM

First thing was to find a needle for injecting steam. Smallest end of a telescoping antenna is to big. 16 gauge X 1 1/2" horse needle was to short. 3 1/2" X 16 gauge ink injection needle is just right. Although the paint sprayer steamer worked good I settled on the espresso machine on a ladder approach.

Patience...Patience...Puff...Puff...Patience...The mortise is 9/16 and the tenon is 1/2. Straight in with the drill bit at the 15th puts it right in the pocket gap. At least on the Gibson's it does.

The steam softened the fingerboard so I immediately clamped the neck to a straight edge so it doesn't twist or warp.

Paper shims were discovered. I wonder if that is proper. Maybe go ask BM.

Last edited by Tomy Two String; 10-31-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:35 AM

Very cool. I can hardly imagine picking up a 22 year old Gibson for $10. I'm betting it'll be more like $500 by the time you're done.

I'll be watching this thread.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGraybeard View Post
Very cool. I'm betting it'll be more like $500 by the time you're done.
$500 sounds about right. I have no idea what I am actually doing to the value of the instrument by stripping and refinishing it. I'm going to rebuild it as close to original as possible (same purfling, top wood, rosette, bracing etc). Of the 1994 - 1996 Blues Kings that I've seen for sale, they all seem to have the same problem with the lacquer. They range in the $1,500 to $2,000 area. One sold at auction for $8,000 but there are no particulars on the sale. The MSRV for the J-185 EC starts at $3,200.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:52 PM

deleted . . . .
Old 10-29-2016, 02:29 PM

Can I ask why the espresso machine is on top of a step ladder ?
I am sure there is a very good reason, but it's not leaping out at me ...
Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Can I ask why the espresso machine is on top of a step ladder ?
I am sure there is a very good reason, but it's not leaping out at me ...
I found that when the hose is in a drooped state that water would build up and the steam came out in spurts along with streams of water. With it raised up and the water allowed to run free, the steam came out in a steady flow. It was easier to work with and less water mess. I probably could of used a shorter hose and had good results. The steam condensates by the time it gets to the end. Good question!

Last edited by Tomy Two String; 10-29-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:52 PM

I will give you credit for ingenuity. Paint steamers, cappuccino machine on a ladder, all good to see.

It also appears you made your own neck press jig.

It's doggedness like this, that means no matter what the obsticle you will get it finished.

Keep the pics rolling.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
100 year anniversary, blues king, electro, gibson, j-185