The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Default Powered Monitors - Leave 'em on?

I have a newer pair of KRK Rockit5's that have been on full time. Do you switch your studio monitors off end of day or just leave them turned on? I've read the manual and unless I missed them something it just references lowering levels for the power up.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
I have a newer pair of KRK Rockit5's that have been on full time. Do you switch your studio monitors off end of day or just leave them turned on? I've read the manual and unless I missed them something it just references lowering levels for the power up.
I don't have your model of monitors, but I do have a pair of Alesis M1 Active Mk 2's. And I discovered that the electronics inside these is partly cooled by the air being pumped by the woofer when it's playing music.

What that means is this: leave the speakers on round-the-clock without music going through them, and heat builds up inside the speaker enclosure, eventually cooking to death some of the electrolytic capacitors in the circuitry.

This happened to one of mine, and I was able to repair it by replacing the capacitor, but needless to say, I now turn off the speakers when I'm not playing music through them.

Then again, I have a Velodyne subwoofer under the TV that stays powered on all the time. It is smart enough to switch itself off when there is no audio, though, unlike my Alesis monitors, which stay on and cook themselves to death.

-Gnobuddy
Old 01-18-2011, 08:04 AM

I used to work in a recording studio and we always turned them off at the end of the day.

that being said, i own a pair of wharfedale sound monitors and i dont turn them off....ever....not in the last 4 years....and they sound great!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 PM

usually, heat is the enemy of electronics, so i turn my off.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM

Thanks. Think I might start turning them off. Sent an email to CServ at KRK... haven't heard anything tho'.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD