The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Default pick a note after coming out of a strum

I am not very consistent with this so wondering if anyone might share their experience and any advice.

Up until about a year ago, I’ve mostly strummed chords and wasn’t that bothered by occasionally mis hitting some strings here and there.

But I’ve been getting more into single note picking and I consistently have trouble with hitting the right string on that first note after coming out of a strum. Obviously not something you can gloss over as you would in a strum.

So, imagine I do some 8th note strums and after down-up strums, I go into some note picking. It’s on this first note that I often miss the string. And the misses are most prominent when the string tends to be the A string.

And in analyzing why this might be, I think this is because my hand does not come back up high enough on the last up stroke to reach the A because my mind is thinking “steady your hand to go into picking and don’t bring your hand up too high or else you might hit the low E string instead”.

So instead of perhaps bringing my hand up higher, I think I try to reach the A string by rotating my wrist so that the tip of the pick might reach up to the A string. And often times this results on a dud... a complete swing and a miss, with the pick hitting the G string instead. Or if it does hit the A, it’s not a very good sound. I feel the string should be struck with a more even plane of angle (that is, the tip pointed more straight into the sound hole rather than pointed up to the ceiling, which is the resulting angle when I reach the A string by rotating the wrist, rather than perhaps bringing the hand higher. I hope I’ve described things clearly.

A lot of this also depends on how much I’ve warmed up and how “in the zone” I am. I realize most of this is simply more repetition and practice but was wondering if there are things like pick angle, hand position, and technique that I should be thinking about. By the way, I tend to touch the pick guard with my pinkie to steady my hand when picking.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
I realize most of this is simply more repetition and practice
There's your answer.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Might help to take a page from Travis Picking players.

Once you have your chord fingered with the left hand, play the root note and strum down and, in time, play the fifth note and strum down. Repeat a few thousand times with different chords and you'll probably have it. Start by looking at your right hand and gradually wean yourself off the need to look.

Do not try and do this with your wrist alone, you will lose precision and power. The movement is mostly coming from your elbow. You might also find this much easier with a pick over 1mm in thickness, preferably above 1.5mm. As you acclimate to the thicker pick, you will get a more intuitive sense of where the tip is at all times.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Might help to take a page from Travis Picking players.

Once you have your chord fingered with the left hand, play the root note and strum down and, in time, play the fifth note and strum down. Repeat a few thousand times with different chords and you'll probably have it. Start by looking at your right hand and gradually wean yourself off the need to look.

Do not try and do this with your wrist alone, you will lose precision and power. The movement is mostly coming from your elbow. You might also find this much easier with a pick over 1mm in thickness, preferably above 1.5mm. As you acclimate to the thicker pick, you will get a more intuitive sense of where the tip is at all times.

I’m pretty consistent with strumming with alternating bass (if that’s what Travis picking is... will look in to that). With alternating bass, it’s something that repeated and my mind knows what’s coming up so I guess it’s engrained. But for some reason, if the note I am picking, even if it’s on the same string as the 5th note would have been, when the following moves aren’t a strum, but a run of notes, that’s when I flub.

Yeah, so I guess more practice, being more conscientious of the height of my hand (vs rotating of the wrist to reach the string) it sounds like.

As for the thicker pick suggestion.... I avoid thicker picks (I use between .5 and .7mm) because strumming is very jarring with a thick pick. But it sounds like you guys use a thick pick to strum as well? For the benefit of being able to pick better with a thicker pick? Interesting.

Thanks for that tip. Will have to try that.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:37 PM

Just some quick suggestions. Not claiming to have all the answers.

1. Keep the strum controlled / inside the boundaries of the strings. Maybe not even hitting all the strings, but just the ones you need. I find it almost impossible to go from a strum that ended over the pick guard back to a specific string. I'm just too far out of position at that point.

2. Keep your palm very near the strings, if not somewhat muting them, in a consistent position. If you're picking a string after the strum, you don't want the strings ringing anyway.

3. Hold your pick in picking position (as you would for single line stuff, even though you're strumming).

4. Think of the sequence as picking strings with strums in between, not strums with picking in between. That puts the focus where you need it.

5. Practice endlessly.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post

3. Hold your pick in picking position (as you would for single line stuff, even though you're strumming).

Not sure what you mean by holding in picking position vs strumming position. A different grip? Different angle?
Old 02-10-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by holding in picking position vs strumming position. A different grip? Different angle?
Sounds like these are the same for you. So you're all set. Some people with less experience change their grip for strumming vs picking. That obviously doesn't work.

I grip the pick with not much of the tip of the pick exposed. I have a lot of control that way and it helps get my hand down onto the strings for muting, etc. Some people have a tough time strumming in this position because they think they want the strings to ring or the pick tends to get caught in the strings. But this is the grip that's most effective for single string picking, and since changing grip is impractical, a person needs to learn to use that same grip for strumming, too. It will change the way a person approaches the guitar but I find it gives me more control for both single string picking and strumming.

If this doesn't make sense, just disregard. It's not critical. Just an idea for you.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Sounds like these are the same for you. So you're all set. Some people with less experience change their grip for strumming vs picking. That obviously doesn't work.

I grip the pick with not much of the tip of the pick exposed. I have a lot of control that way and it helps get my hand down onto the strings for muting, etc. Some people have a tough time strumming in this position because they think they want the strings to ring or the pick tends to get caught in the strings. But this is the grip that's most effective for single string picking, and since changing grip is impractical, a person needs to learn to use that same grip for strumming, too. It will change the way a person approaches the guitar but I find it gives me more control for both single string picking and strumming.

If this doesn't make sense, just disregard. It's not critical. Just an idea for you.

Yes. I have the same grip for both. But not as conscientious about the amount of tip showing. But what you say makes sense about choking up and adopting your strumming to that.

I feel another variable is the pinkie brace or floating hand. I started out with floating hand and later adopted the pinkie brace on the pick guard which did improve the accuracy. But I feel this bracing thing is messing with my mind a bit.

I think my bracing is sometime too stiff rather than just grazing the pick guard as my hand needs to move. I find that the pad of my pinkie is pressed against the pick guard rather than having a curled up pinkie where the nail or the tip is grazing, which I think is what you’re supposed to do (?) Does that make sense?

Anyone using the pinkie brace that can relate to what I am saying when they started, would like to hear about your experience on that as well.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I grip the pick with not much of the tip of the pick exposed. I have a lot of control that way...

Holy moly. I just got home and tried this. And I can feel the closer connection to the strings, as if almost being able to touch them with my index finger tip. Wow. This is making me very hopeful right now!
Old 02-10-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Holy moly. I just got home and tried this. And I can feel the closer connection to the strings, as if almost being able to touch them with my index finger tip. Wow. This is making me very hopeful right now!
Bingo. As I said above, it will change the way you approach the guitar. You'll be "hands-on" rather than sweeping the strings. (not that you were doing that before, but you get the idea... more contact with the strings)

Keep your thumb parallel to the strings and your palm / base of your wrist in contact with the bridge, or very close to it, or actually resting on the bass strings.

Don't anchor a pinkie with a pick. Save that for fingerpicking.

Enjoy.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:12 PM

A thicker pick with not much tip exposed works for me as well.

With picks 1 mm or thicker you seem to get some tactile feel from the strings like the pick is an extension of your hand.

Nowadays I play 1mm picks on electric and 1.14 mm on acoustic guitars.

For years I was stuck on 0.73. Never looked back.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-11-2018, 11:51 AM

The transition between techniques isn't a single set of variables. It isn't scientific, either. Whether from or to strumming from finger picking or flat picking, transitioning rarely (never in my memory) finds itself table talk on these forums. I want to think it's because most people play largely without the need of such transition development.

If an aggressive strum is followed by single notes in succession, the momentum of the strum and the transition to picking takes some focused coordination. The meter must be maintained. That can mean a very abrupt transition when aggressive strumming leads. I find it to be very easy to do when following a picking technique.

A less aggressive strum followed by picking still requires a focused and coordinated transition but there's less momentum to put the brakes on.

This is probably one of the most practice-necessary aspects of playing I can think of, after achievements in certain distinct techniques have been developed, that create the accomplished and fluid player.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Lots of good suggestions.

Regarding how to hold the pick, there are a lot of different ways to play. I use either .60 or .73, I expose more than just a little tip, and I have no problem picking a single note after an aggressive strum...and I never plant a pinky.

Find what is comfortable to you and practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:54 PM

Thanks for all the tips!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write