The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-29-2018, 06:17 AM

Default DADGAD

I am a DADGAD newbie and need a few pointers from the experts on this altered tuning. My little Maingard OOO seems to love this tuning. The body vibrates like its alive. My only issue is the two higher trebles (a and d) seem too floppy and are easy to overdrive. I found some heavier gage Wyres trebles (heaver than 13's) and am going to try those. How about set up? Does a set up specifically for DADGAD help in any way? I intend to keep the OOO in this tuning and use my OM for standard tuning.

Thx
Eric
Old 01-29-2018, 06:30 AM

What is the scale length on your Mainguard 000?

In my opinion, you shouldn't need strings heavier than a 13-set to play in dropped tunings. I play quite a few dropped tunings using 12-53's, and haven't had any issues. When i tried this with 11-52's, the treble strings were a bit weak, but 12's seemed to have solved the problem for me.

Generally dropped tunings work better with longer scale guitars, but I play DADGAD on a short-scale Martin 000-28EC with no issues.

Best Regards,
Gary
Old 01-29-2018, 06:45 AM

You shouldn't need a new set up for DADGAD. By all means try slightly heavier strings for the top two (maybe the bass D too?) - i.e. to bring the tension back to roughly how it would be in EADGBE. If you fit much heavier strings, you might need to tweak the truss rod, but that would be all (and the strings would need to be a lot heavier, IMO).

I often tune my Guild F30 (scale length 25 3/4", 650 mm) to DADGAD with the usual 11s with no problem - no need for any different strings, or for resetting. (They're Martin custom lights, the 6th is 52.)
But I have a fairly light touch, and I like to be able to bend the strings.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like guitar action a little low. Get the guitar action set up rather than
using bridge cables as guitar strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post

In my opinion, you shouldn't need strings heavier than a 13-set to play in dropped tunings. I play quite a few dropped tunings using 12-53's, and haven't had any issues. When i tried this with 11-52's, the treble strings were a bit weak, but 12's seemed to have solved the problem for me.

Generally dropped tunings work better with longer scale guitars, but I play DADGAD on a short-scale Martin 000-28EC with no issues.

Best Regards,
Gary
The scale is 25.4". I've always liked the tension in 13-56's so the slack b and e was an unnerving change. I'm going to try the slightly bigger trebles that Wyres offers. I'm fine with the feel and the tone of the 056 bass when tuned to D.

Thanks for all the input.

Eric
Old 01-29-2018, 10:43 AM

use a DADGAD set -
https://www.newtonestrings.com/shop/...stic-6-string/

ya NEED to know yar gauges / tensions -
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html
Old 01-29-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
Great data. Thx
Eric
Old 02-06-2018, 12:16 AM

I play in DADGAD all the time, and I think the setup is the same for that tuning? (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...) I just had mine setup a week ago and the tech turned me on to D'Addario "True Medium Gauge" strings which have made my instrument sound fantastic after the setup - better than ever.

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...0-6573e9798e53

Can't believe I went all those years not having this kind of string set on my instrument. I used to pluck 12s but now I prefer what's in this set - which is a varied string thickness (increased diameter for the de-tuned strings) to make them resonate better.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post

Best Regards,
Gary
There is just something about those 000-28EC guitars that is special. If I were to buy a (relatively) new Martin, that would most likely be the one.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-07-2018, 02:27 AM

A well setup guitar should work well for DADGAD. It’s not that far from Dropped D. You shouldn’t automatically need the intonation changed.

I use 13s but many people play DADGAD with 12s.
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write