The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Trance VS Dazzos: The Shootout

Okay, it was an exaggerated title. A few months ago I saw a good deal for a slightly used GS Mini and I took it. I am just a curious guy and when I get a new instrument I have a great opportunity to try a different pickup. I found myself with two Taylor GS Minis. Guitar #1 is an all Mahogany version that I have owned for quite some time with Dazzo #80s installed by Teddy Randazzo himself with his typical location. #2 is a standard GS Mini that I installed the Amulet M with the volume and tone knobs. The install ended up just like the instructions provided. No alterations. The Bass knob on the Trance preamp was set in the middle.

If you didn't know, these two pickups are cousins in a way. They both share the same origin from the original FRAP pickup. (Flat Response Audio Pickup) They share the same goal. They want your instrument to sound like your instrument with no EQ.

Let's cut to the chase. If you were to blindfold me and play each one. I might have been able to pick out the Dazzo simply by my recognition of the sound of that guitar. Both pickups seemed to transfer the characteristics of the guitar out through the speaker. The Trance guitar was newer and brighter than the older all Mahogany version. Both guitars had great string balance. Both pickups gave the GS mini a slight exaggerated bottom end. I did EQ both very little through a Baggs Venue to my taste but if I had to set it flat, I preferred the Dazzo. I tried various amps that I had on hand. I had A Schertler Unico, AER Compact 60, Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro and a Bose L1 Model 2 and T1 Tonematch. I wasn't trying to be too scientific about how I was going about things, I simply wanted to try things out the way I would use it in real life situations I would face. At times, I plugged in direct to the amp. Other times I added one of my various preamps. (Red-Eye, Baggs Venue, Session, and PADI)

If I set everything flat, I preferred the overall tone on the Fishman and the AER. The Schertler and Bose gives everything an exaggerated bottom end. Well, the pickups also have a healthy bottom end as well so that was not the best match. I really had to reduce the bass to balance it out.

Both pickups simply required small EQ adjustments to make it sound their best. The Red Eye just makes it all sound better. When I tap and slap the strings, the Red Eye allows that to come through fully. The others seemed to compress that stuff a bit.

So what was my choice and why? The Dazzos won out. Just like K and K users, I like less in my guitar. I already had Dazzos in four other guitars, I wanted to keep it consistent. If it were the other way around and I had all Trances in the other guitars I would have kept the Dazzo because of the simpler set up. Reason #2, I will always use some sort of off board preamp, I would rather have the option of using the best gear available instead of settling with what comes with it. Also, I would rather not double or triple preamp it. The Trance preamp seemed fine but the Dazzo through the Red Eye was just better.

Listen, I spent a lot of my guitar playing life frustrated that my great sounding guitar would not sound great through a speaker. I chased a lot of rabbit holes and went out and chased after the best gear. The Pendulum, K&K and DPA set-up I had was pretty sweet. But it was a hassle for a church musician like me. It is nice to have a real sweet sounding set-up with absolutely no hassle or fuss. Guitar, Red-Eye and cable, that's it. When I go and accompany my 60 voice choir at my job at school, all I need is my GS mini, Compact 60, Red-Eye, a vocal mic, and a couple of cords. I really don't miss the rack of gear and all the tweaking I did at rehearsals.

I hope this helps folks who are looking to unwrap the guitar pickup world. I am just one man's opinion. I don't need effects and other fancy tricks to make my guitar sound like itself. My R. Taylor Dread and my Goodall CJ sound exceptional through the Dazzos. It's time for me to shut up and play guitar.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 AM

Did you record any clips? It'd be illustrative to hear the results....
Old 08-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Thanks Vancebo!!
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 08-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Nice review, Vancebo! Very well written, too...

Like you, I've "chased" a decent acoustic live tone down many "rabbit holes" over the past nearly 50 years as a performing musician in bars, restaurants, coffeehouses and smaller clubs; although playing out used to pay better than it does now (in general), I have never had the kind of money to spend ~$500 or more to achieve a decent tone from my acoustic guitars, so I've always found the "best for least".

Back in the 70's, I splurged on one of the more modest FRAP pickups (one transducer w/ outboard preamp), and it sounded pretty good, but not THAT good...

I've been using the Anthem SL in both my hand-made Angus acoustics that I use on stage, and I've been moderately pleased with them... of course, I've been interested in the Trance Lens systems for years, but the cost has been prohibitive for me; I was excited about the Dazzo pickups and actually got to meet Teddy at my local store not long ago.

The dazzo pickups are very enticing; I'm just going to have to have the money to convert my guitars to that system before I'll be able to "leap". I figure to switch my Goodall Grand Concert first (it has a K&K in it currently) and see how I like it before I seriously look at switching out both my 12 string and 6 string Angus guitars.

I DO like having a consistency to my set-up/amplifying needs... and I have both an AER Compact60 and a Bose L1 Model II as my sound systems, so it is great to hear your impressions from both of those rigs.

Again, thanks for the in-depth review in a very "boots on the ground" context!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Like you, I'm a fan of plug and play. I have Dazzos in five guitars, soon to be six. 12 string, parlor, dreads, 00, every guitar is just Dazzos into a RedEye, then whatever amplification I'm using. No or minimal EQ.

Every guitar sounds like the guitar, with the pickup geared to each one. The smaller guitars get more bass, the big ones less.

I had to laugh when Teddy, perfectionist that he is, wanted to rip out the pickup just installed to try to get a less boxy sound out of my parlor. I just pointed out it was sounding just like the little guitar it was, with a bigger bass sound. We left it in as it was.

I see no reason to change, and Teddy is constantly improving his pickups in a quest for great tone.

I've played dual source systems and they can sound great, but the cost of the complexity is not worth it to me.

Was it the Sheryl Crow Gibson that came with a Trance? I remember playing a Gibson with one and it sounded great.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Like you, I'm a fan of plug and play. I have Dazzos in five guitars, soon to be six. 12 string, parlor, dreads, 00, every guitar is just Dazzos into a RedEye, then whatever amplification I'm using. No or minimal EQ.

Every guitar sounds like the guitar, with the pickup geared to each one. The smaller guitars get more bass, the big ones less.

I had to laugh when Teddy, perfectionist that he is, wanted to rip out the pickup just installed to try to get a less boxy sound out of my parlor. I just pointed out it was sounding just like the little guitar it was, with a bigger bass sound. We left it in as it was.

I see no reason to change, and Teddy is constantly improving his pickups in a quest for great tone.

I've played dual source systems and they can sound great, but the cost of the complexity is not worth it to me.

Was it the Sheryl Crow Gibson that came with a Trance? I remember playing a Gibson with one and it sounded great.
That's pretty amazing that you have Teddy close by. I would gladly spend a day with him perfecting the placement of the Dazzo's if it meant an exceptional plugged in tone. After installing the Amulet, which at least came with a jig, I don't think I could tackle the Dazzo install on my own. Seems to be a lot more experimentation than I am willing to get into. Maybe one day Teddy will create a jig.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks for sharing all of that! Great information.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:16 PM

I was introduced to the Trance through Jackson Browne who always gets a great (if not similar) sound with his. Having seen the cost and materials involved, I would probably do the same as you: choose Dazzo and manage it with an outboard preamp. I prefer less in my guitar and most people over-amp their acoustic signals. A single, high-quality, outboard preamp will go a long way and keep the signal clearer.

When I was looking for pickups, I eliminated the Trance as it was too costly and I didn't want batteries in my guitar. I didn't like the K&K enough so I e-mailed Teddy at Dazzo about my guitar. His e-mails were too hard to read (he's not a man of grammar) and he needed pics of guitar etc...it just seemed too complicated.

To keep things consistent and simple, I went with the Baggs LB6 and the Radial PZ Deluxe with a PADI as backup. It's not as natural as the Dazzo but it's simple, dependable, and sounds "good." It was good enough it stopped my rabbit hole searching. At least, for now.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's pretty amazing that you have Teddy close by. I would gladly spend a day with him perfecting the placement of the Dazzo's if it meant an exceptional plugged in tone. After installing the Amulet, which at least came with a jig, I don't think I could tackle the Dazzo install on my own. Seems to be a lot more experimentation than I am willing to get into. Maybe one day Teddy will create a jig.
Teddy has a process he uses to install the Dazzos. A jig would be a good idea for the masses I think. He uses his ear and he is able, for example, to keep his low E string attached slide the pickup while the glue is still wet until that low E strings sounds great to his ear through a flat response amp that he uses. Then he does the same with the high E string and the other pickup. I have successfully installed these in guitars, mandos and ukes. His pickup installation process has changed about a year or more ago. He has been working with Leo Kottke and I believe it was his recommendation to turn the things around and face them in a different direction.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 08-09-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I was excited about the Dazzo pickups and actually got to meet Teddy at my local store not long ago.
Yes, I tried to get him to go visit that shop a year ago. He ended up stopping by (is it Bullfrog?) on his last trip. He was very excited that the owner (I don't remember his name) was so very open to new products and bought product from him. He mentioned meeting you too. Teddy heads to Seattle twice a year. He might be headed up here again before the end of the month if things work out.

BTW, Just sold my Bose L1 today. I might regret it later. A gal from Portland who was a Taylor and Bose artist and a professional musician in South Africa in her previous life bought it because she missed hers when Bose took hers back when she was done doing the touring musician thing in the states. She had quite a story.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thanks for sharing all of that! Great information.
I was reluctant. I have avidly read many debates on this forum about pickups and what is the best pickup etc. As we all know, it can get silly. ex: Ford is better than Chevy. In this area I have lived a little. I have not withheld my opinion regarding Dazzos when ever the opportunity comes up. I don't want to ever come across as putting other good products down when it is a matter of personal preference. I had to carefully articulate that I was not putting the Trance down in any way since they almost produce the same results.

There have seemed to be very few folks on here who have tried both. So I simply put my two cents in.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I was reluctant. I have avidly read many debates on this forum about pickups and what is the best pickup etc. As we all know, it can get silly. ex: Ford is better than Chevy. In this area I have lived a little. I have not withheld my opinion regarding Dazzos when ever the opportunity comes up. I don't want to ever come across as putting other good products down when it is a matter of personal preference. I had to carefully articulate that I was not putting the Trance down in any way since they almost produce the same results.

There have seemed to be very few folks on here who have tried both. So I simply put my two cents in.
Just noticed that you have a Taylor 310 with the Dazzo #70's installed. I have the same guitar but it was a limited run with loa back and sides. I tried the Trance in this guitar and found that it was just too bright/thin. I assume the Dazzo would sound the same but curious as to your findings?
Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post

I think your review was fair and responsible. I'm eager to try a dazzo one day, but I'm going to stick with what I know - K&K. The Trance is an excellent pickup but didn't fit in the guitar I bought it for. Expensive mistake.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:20 PM

Petty, My 310 is nothing spectacular. I have heard better 310s than mine. I have once had a Baggs Anthem in it. I paired it with a Baggs Session. With the Comp EQ, Saturation and high pass filter engaged it sounded very good. The Dazzo by itself sounds as good or better. It sounds what I expect it to sound. It doesn't offer as much as my Goodall or R. Taylor does. With that said, I am happy with the result of the pickup. Weird that yours sounded like that with the Trance.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Vancebo for your informative comparative review!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification