The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBromiAndufEwd View Post
Looking for some suggestions for some of todays "popular" Christian music that has relatively easy guitar accompaniment.
Hi DrB…
Chris Tomlin's ''Holy Is The Lord''

It is played in G. Start by grabbing a Dsus then reach across with fingers one and two and grab the first chord, a 4 finger G. Then you just move 2 fingers up to play 4 finger C, or lift the 2nd finger to play Em7, or go back to the Dsus. Really simple…the ring and pinky only have to be moved or lifted once during the verse…

I start students learning the 4 finger G system by grabbing a Dsus and then lifting fingers 1 & 2 to play the G, C, F6 and Em because it's an easy way to remember where the ring and pinky go.

This link will even give you a chart of the 4 finger chord variations. Feel free to download it (it's mine and public domain).

4 finger G chart - CLiCK

The F is actually an F6 and the C is a C2 I call them ish chords as in it's F-ish or C-ish. The F6 happens in the Bridge
It's (G) Rising up (Dsus)All Around it's the (F6) Anthem of the (C) Lord's renown… and then it repeats...

As a bonus it has a section on a 2 finger G variation at the bottom (both sets are from my teaching materials for students).

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
anything on popular christian radio stations should be easy....not much creativity or groundbreaking stuff out there these days (on the radio anyway)
sad but true...

Chris
and some nice guitars...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:55 AM

I knew i asked this question in the right place. lots of great responses. Thanks all!
Crafter D8-12EQ
Alvarez RC-10
PRS SE Custom 24

Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBromiAndufEwd View Post
Looking for some suggestions for some of todays "popular" Christian music that has relatively easy guitar accompaniment.

Thanks!
Chris Tomlin writes his music to be simple. A few chords, simple strumming patterns, singer friendly keys; he's got it down. We use his stuff fairly often at church. The congregation likes them because they're familiar and easy. The lyrics are quite nice, too. Tomlin always publishes his albums as sheet music with tab.

I also find Third Day has lots of pretty simple stuff. They're also good about publishing sheet music.

Our lead player is a bluegrass musician. We can turn anything into a simple three or four chord bluegrass mash up. The key is taking liberties with the arrangement.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion