The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post

Another guitar fitting this definition of "iconic" Woody Guthrie's "This machine kills fascists" guitar. See the guitar, instantly know the owner/player.

I was just about to mention that one.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:51 PM

Someone may have posted this and I missed it, but another iconic guitar that comes to mind is Joan Baez's 0-45

Old 01-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Lots of great ones so far!! Here’s another - Keith Richard and his bird

Gordon Lightfoot and his Gibson 12-string on a truly iconic song for a boy who grew up by Lake Superior:

And... how many guitars did this sell?

Last edited by semolinapilcher; 01-21-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZK123 View Post
Someone may have posted this and I missed it, but another iconic guitar that comes to mind is Joan Baez's 0-45

"Too bad she's a communist." Not trying to start a political discussion, honest; just wanted to share an interesting anecdote about her iconic Martin....

She had always used her Martin 1929 O-45. When she sent the well-worn guitar back for refurbishment in 1996, Martin repair people noticed that the words "Too Bad You Are A Communist" had been scrawled on the underside of the top. When Joan heard this, she was at first surprised, then amused. She supposed it had been done by a repairman years ago who disputed her politics. When the O-45 was replicated for a 1997 edition, a backwards label bearing the same slogan was adhered to the inside of the soundboard so that it could be read with an inspection mirror. In concerts to follow, Joan has enjoyed telling this story.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-21-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
"Too bad she's a communist." Not trying to start a political discussion, honest; just wanted to share an interesting anecdote about her iconic Martin....
She's not the only one in this thread who has been (rightly or wrongly) branded as a "communist". Woody Guthrie (along with most of his contemporaries) was blacklisted probably before Baez was born. Such labeling has no bearing on their contribution to music or their talent. It also has no bearing on how fine an instrument her 0-45 is
Old 01-21-2018, 04:30 PM

I'll throw a spanner in the works here with the first ever Somogyi Modified Dreadnought made for Daniel Hecht of the Windham hill label.

This instrument (and Ervin's subsequent association with the Wyndham Hill label) arguably revolutionised the modern steel string guitar as we now know it.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZK123 View Post
She's not the only one in this thread who has been (rightly or wrongly) branded as a "communist". Woody Guthrie (along with most of his contemporaries) was blacklisted probably before Baez was born. Such labeling has no bearing on their contribution to music or their talent. It also has no bearing on how fine an instrument her 0-45 is
Of course you're right, but her 0-45 is the only one with the interesting story (and inscription) attached to it....

She had always used her Martin 1929 O-45. When she sent the well-worn guitar back for refurbishment in 1996, Martin repair people noticed that the words "Too Bad You Are A Communist" had been scrawled on the underside of the top. When Joan heard this, she was at first surprised, then amused. She supposed it had been done by a repairman years ago who disputed her politics. When the O-45 was replicated for a 1997 edition, a backwards label bearing the same slogan was adhered to the inside of the soundboard so that it could be read with an inspection mirror. In concerts to follow, Joan has enjoyed telling this story.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

This is a great question. Hmm, what about that old beat up piece of junk Edge played on "Party Girl" and other U2 classics? Definitely the Willie Nelson guitar. Maybe Elvis' Gibson....?
Old 01-21-2018, 05:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

D-28

Case closed.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Of course you're right, but her 0-45 is the only one with the interesting story (and inscription) attached to it....

She took it much better than most would have .
Old 01-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Maybe not as iconic as others, but another one that springs to mind:

Old 01-21-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
I'll throw a spanner in the works here with the first ever Somogyi Modified Dreadnought made for Daniel Hecht of the Windham hill label.

This instrument (and Ervin's subsequent association with the Wyndham Hill label) arguably revolutionised the modern steel string guitar as we now know it.
This video is completely new to me. I've never seen such a thing as the pedal capo.

Please correct me if I am uninformed but the modifed part of modified Somogyi dread has nothing to do with the pedal capo.

Also, did anyone else put a pedal capo on their guitar like this? I have never seen such a thing.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Ah dear old Ralph. I used to have the occasional Sunday lunchtime chat with him in the Half Moon in Putney, where we both lived (along with Stefan Grossman, Sammy Mitchell, Bert Jansch and the rest of the 'Putney Mafia'!).
Ah yes, saw a few great gigs there.
My pal Don and I went to see Arthur Big Boy Crudup there.
We were standing at the long bar slurping Guinness (only beer allowed with Don) and we saw MrC beion led out into the main bar by a couple of roadies.
They bought him a bottle of Whiskey and a glass and left hm.

Don looked at hm and said - look at the poor old bloke - probably doesn't even know which country he's in - let's go and talk to him.

We approached him and we pointed towards the two empty chairs and said - "do you mind?" He looked at us, picked up his bottle and glass and made to move.

said "no sir, , we just saw you all alone and thought we would come over to say hello...."

He looked astonished and cautiously sat.

Don led the chat which was cut short as the Roadies came totae him on stage.

We put our hands out to shake his ... and as he shook mine he looked deep into my eyes and said "You the first white boy ever called me sir!"
It shook me - I learned a lot in that one moment.

I think he played a green Kay archtop electric that night

I saw Newgrass Revival there too. Boy they were fast and loud!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Ah dear old Ralph. I used to have the occasional Sunday lunchtime chat with him in the Half Moon in Putney, where we both lived (along with Stefan Grossman, Sammy Mitchell, Bert Jansch and the rest of the 'Putney Mafia'!).
Ah yes, saw a few great gigs there.
My pal Don and I went to see Arthur Big Boy Crudup there.
We were standing at the long bar slurping Guinness (only beer allowed with Don) and we saw MrC beion led out into the main bar by a couple of roadies.
They bought him a bottle of Whiskey and a glass and left hm.

Don looked at hm and said - look at the poor old bloke - probably doesn't even know which country he's in - let's go and talk to him.

We approached him and we pointed towards the two empty chairs and said - "do you mind?" He looked at us, picked up his bottle and glass and made to move.

said "no sir, , we just saw you all alone and thought we would come over to say hello...."

He looked astonished and cautiously sat.

Don led the chat which was cut short as the Roadies came totae him on stage.

We put our hands out to shake his ... and as he shook mine he looked deep into my eyes and said "You the first white boy ever called me sir!"
It shook me - I learned a lot in that one moment.

I saw Newgrass Revival there too. Boy they were fast and loud!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 PM

I think some of you are confusing “iconic” with “historically important” or “influential” or “memorable”.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." — Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion