The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Default Lowden cold checking/cracks?

I bought this beautiful 1995 Lowden F-12C last week. I noticed in the right light I can see these small lines in the top, I cannot feel anything when I run my finger across them. The guitar is 23 years old and in great shape just wondering if I should be concerned with these developing into a problem. It's my first Lowden so I'm not sure if this a common thing for them thanks for any help.
https://imgur.com/gallery/wtQPt
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 AM

Those appear to be finish checking which is very common especially on older guitars. No problem at all. Likely caused by some temperature change at some point. Congratulations.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
Those appear to be finish checking which is very common especially on older guitars. No problem at all. Likely caused by some temperature change at some point. Congratulations.
Thanks. The guitar came from Colorado it was very cold last week but I did follow all the steps for allowing the guitar to acclimatize.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 AM

It may have been cold exposure, it may have been age, or it may have been dryness. Checking occurs because wood can expand and contract for the reasons listed above, and lacquer really cannot -- it's brittle.

Was the checking present before shipping? This actually looks pretty minor. I have some checking on a couple of nitro lacquered guitars that have never really seen serious cold or shipping exposure after purchase (living and used at home).
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 AM

It wasn't mentioned by the seller. I have had the guitar for a week and I just noticed it when the sun was shining on it at a certain angle. I certainly not worried about it aesthetically just more concerned with any serious issues it may cause.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
... just more concerned with any serious issues it may cause.
Not likely to cause anything, especially serious. Some people actually feel they have experienced an "opening up" after a guitar's finish checks.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Thanks. The guitar came from Colorado it was very cold last week but I did follow all the steps for allowing the guitar to acclimatize.
Which is not foolproof...I've made lots of wintertime trips with various guitars and never had a problem. I'd generally let the guitar warm up for several hours, often overnight, before opening the case. I did the same thing just recently with a new guitar and ended up with significant checking. See photo below. It bothered me for less than 5 minutes. I call it "character".

Old 01-13-2018, 12:46 PM

I read your thread about it Todd. I also have a 1963 Hummingbird that looks a hundred times worse than yours but sounds amazing.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
It's my first Lowden so I'm not sure if this a common thing for them thanks for any help.
https://imgur.com/gallery/wtQPt
not a common thing or we'd have heard of finish issues before, I'd contact them for advice first dodge
Old 01-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
not a common thing or we'd have heard of finish issues before, I'd contact them for advice first dodge
If you can't just live with the finish checking, Westman's advice is exactly what I'd do. Call Lowden (email can be slow) and discuss with them. They are very helpful and should be able to advise.

I don't believe they have a registered dealer in AB, but they have Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta GA, and Righteous Guitars in Roswell GA.

http://www.lowdenguitars.com/hello

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion