The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Default Revelation

I've been attempting to learn and play guitar for many years. I feel like I never made the kind of progress I had hoped for in terms of musicality. Sure I can remember chords, scales, songs, but I am just painting by numbers and not all that musical when doing so. In the back of my mind, I knew somehow that something was always missing but I could not figure out what my roadblock was.

After so many years, I think I just now have realized my problem. I never learned how to really listen. I mean REALLY listen. Have you ever been there?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgeek View Post
I've been attempting to learn and play guitar for many years. I feel like I never made the kind of progress I had hoped for in terms of musicality. Sure I can remember chords, scales, songs, but I am just painting by numbers and not all that musical when doing so. In the back of my mind, I knew somehow that something was always missing but I could not figure out what my roadblock was.

After so many years, I think I just now have realized my problem. I never learned how to really listen. I mean REALLY listen. Have you ever been there?
What did you say?
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 PM

I'm not very musical, and it takes me a long time to learn anything. I only really started listening closely when it became possible to use a sound editor as an aid, and having Youtube to listen to alternative versions also made a difference. My biggest failing, which came as a genuine revelation just a few months ago, after about 55 years of playing, is that I haven't been paying enough attention to good string damping technique. I was listening to Ry Cooder's original video version of "Get Rhythm" at the time.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:24 PM

My dad said I never listened. Does that count?
Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 PM

If you mean listen to yourself as you play, you’re on to something. Really, all you need to do is play in a band. If you don’t listen to yourself and the other band members..... well, they’ll let you know soon enough.

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 01-11-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:

I see the points. I felt that the most important thing in playing music is first to know the piece in heart. If not, one cannot play it.

The other day I was wanting to learn to play a song by Neil Young, and first thing I had to do was to listen to the song repeatedly until I know the song - the melody, rhythm, chords and the lyrics, before I can even try playing it.

And I want to learn some Blues songs, but because I don't know many blues songs in heart, I cannot play them. Only thing I can do is just play some blues scales.

Last edited by Theleman; 01-11-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

You have to play a gazillion times to get rid of that "paint by numbers" feeling. I've been working on a tune since 12/26/17 and it might be ready for public display 12/26/18. Then again, maybe not lol.

Sometimes it's better to pick a few tunes below your "pay grade" just to be able to play something musically.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

I think you are right!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Eh? I'm from Canada, eh.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 AM

Took me a little while to train my ear but now I just take it for granted.

I can tell if something is major or minor straight away, but I can't tell the key of the tune/song unless I have a guitar with me to work out in an instant. (Educated guess otherwise).

One of the great things I've learnt on my guitar learning journey.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 AM

There have been times that I did not care how I or others play, and there are other times that I analyze everything. It all depends on mood and what illegal substances were consumed.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:49 AM

I think there is something to be said for learning young with a pro teacher.

My first instrument was piano, and althought I havent played it with intent or regularity for 30 years, when I do, I get comments on my nice touch and presentation. I am generally satisfied when I hear recordings of my piano work. That was 10 years of professional guidance and technique.

i have played guitar since I quit formal piano and when I hear recordings of my playing I am not satisfied with my presentation. I am good enough to get gigs and band invites but I know that I have a lot of listening and tweaking to do to perfect my guitar performance. I am self taught. I have 3x more of my life invested in guitar than piano.

Excellent thread... Makes a person think...

Last edited by Tommy_G; 01-12-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:36 AM

A vast topic for sure. If I simplify the context to say, creating one simple melody line.

I could just start plucking notes out of scales or chords or what not and maybe that simple melody line might sound good (be interesting and musical?) or not. But for me, that simple exercise would have been all physical...fingers to fretboard first, and then hoping that somehow the after effect sounded ok. But I don't/can't hear in my head the melody line first. Why not? Why can't I "think" a simple interesting melody line? For me, I think it is because I never learned how to REALLY listen so as to really understand these notes in all their glory.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion