The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 PM

https://youtu.be/7K2DQ8XBRbU

John Mayer "In Your Atmosphere" Live at the Nokia Theater. He's playing a Martin Dread -I think it's a D-42 but someone more knowledgeable can comment.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
All a matter of perspective... A standard D-45 retails for $11,299.00, so for $3,700.00 more, you get:
[*]Full thickness neck

I find this interesting as a slim profile neck is one of the distinguishing features of the OMJM.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 01-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

The Martin facebook post reads: Introducing the D-45 John Mayer.
This stunning dreadnought pays tribute to one of today’s top guitarists with one of Martin’s most prestigious models, the D-45. Crafted with Guatemalan Rosewood back and sides and an Engelmann spruce top with aging toner and forward shifted Adirondack X braces, this tonal masterpiece was designed by John Mayer and created by the master craftspeople in the Martin Custom Shop. Boasting a full thickness neck with hexagon inlays, bone nut and saddle, and gold open gear tuners, the D-45 John Mayer also features an interior label personally signed by the 7 time Grammy Award winning artist.

(It's not exactly saying its a John Mayer tribute model based on one he plays.)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHguitarNYC View Post
https://youtu.be/7K2DQ8XBRbU

John Mayer "In Your Atmosphere" Live at the Nokia Theater. He's playing a Martin Dread -I think it's a D-42 but someone more knowledgeable can comment.
Can't say for sure but the fretboard inlays look more like the 45 or 41?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:28 PM

I can’t stand John Mayer.

How about a Neil Young D-45? At least he’s widely known to play with one.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 AM

Love the rosette going into the fretboard.

But those hexagon fret makers - not very artistic work in my opinion. Rather blunt.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

John Mayer D-45...$15k.
Ha...haha...Bwahahaha!!!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:41 AM

I just saw this. When I showed it to a co-worker and told him the price, he said, "I didn't realize anybody that liked John Mayer had 15,000 dollars"...I love that kid...
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
Because according to reports, the company has been waffling on neck resets lately.
Fake news.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:37 AM

All D-45’s are excellent guitars and this one is no different.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-05-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I see what you are saying but one thing I will point out is that even in the boutique market, the PRS John Mayer amp is extremely expensive. Two Rock amps can get close to that in the $5000-7000 range but they are often considered to be a bit overpriced. I do definitely think that these companies are upping the price by $2000-3000 due to John Mayer being attached to it.

As for the PRS strat, that one bothers me a bit. John Mayer made a pretty public statement about leaving Fender and immediately after he jumped to PRS. Kind of fishy how a guy who had never used PRS before, leaves Fender and immediately has signature PRS guitars. He does come across as a guy who needs endorsements. Having a strat/PRS style guitar just seems as though it's an attempt to get back at Fender.
I don't disagree with anything you've stated. For the Super Eagle (both variants), most of them sold before they even hit the shop floor from what I can tell. I don't think the J-Mod is moving as quickly (and it's limited production, but still available unlike the Super Eagle), but it is a great amp from the ones I've heard in person and the one that I did play. If I was looking for a tube amp, that would be high on my list. I think the other reality is John's name sells products. He left Fender because he wasn't happy with the company - Paul Smith has apparently given him freedom to basically do what he wants. Whether or not he's getting back at Fender is up to you (though designing a guitar that looks exactly like a Strat is rather interesting). PRS has had Strat-like variants in the past (EG models), and I would have much preferred to see something like that rather than something that looks very much like a Fender guitar with PRS flourishes.

Back to the new dread, it will be interesting to see how quickly these leave shops.
Parker Fly Artist
Carvin DC400
Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
The Martin facebook post reads: Introducing the D-45 John Mayer.
This stunning dreadnought pays tribute to one of today’s top guitarists with one of Martin’s most prestigious models, the D-45. Crafted with Guatemalan Rosewood back and sides and an Engelmann spruce top with aging toner and forward shifted Adirondack X braces, this tonal masterpiece was designed by John Mayer and created by the master craftspeople in the Martin Custom Shop. Boasting a full thickness neck with hexagon inlays, bone nut and saddle, and gold open gear tuners, the D-45 John Mayer also features an interior label personally signed by the 7 time Grammy Award winning artist.
I don't know much about general D45 details but still don't get it. The specs that are listed don't really seem special (well maybe the Guatemalan but it ain't Brazilian) and seem to be fairly common on several other Martin models too. So what are the specific design elements that this John Mayer contributed?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
That's good to hear, and I hope it's true.
It's only been true for 180 years.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I don't know much about general D45 details but still don't get it. The specs that are listed don't really seem special (well maybe the Guatemalan but it ain't Brazilian) and seem to be fairly common on several other Martin models too. So what are the specific design elements that this John Mayer contributed?
I’d say the eng. spruce top with 1/4 scalloped bracing is pretty unique. It also states adi and Sitka bracing which is something I’m not familiar with Martin doing. The Guatemalan rosewood is prettt spectacular stuff and far superior in quality to any Brazilian you will find in today’s world. Tonally I won’t go there as there is no point. Not to mention the full thickness 1 11/16 neck. This guitar isn’t for me and I’m no fan of Mayer, but there are some intriguing specs to this that seemed to take some level of thought.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:04 PM

Last edited by ChetAtkinsDiet; 01-05-2018 at 03:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion