The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2017, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Emerald, Ted and just about every other dealer has a return policy I think. Consider the return shipping a rental fee.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
Hey Sean,
Since there are currently no home trials available..
Are there any X20 owners in Oklahoma that you are aware of?
I would like to be able to contact them to "test drive" an X 20 if they are willing.
Hi Randy,

I will ask around for you, of course. For those who purchase a guitar directly from Emerald Guitars we know it's important that you have the confidence in knowing that if you find the instrument does not suit you that you aren't stuck with it. We offer the option to return any standard guitar to us within 10 days of receiving it for any reason and we will refund the entire sale price.

Best Wishes,

Sean
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi Randy,

I will ask around for you, of course. For those who purchase a guitar directly from Emerald Guitars we know it's important that you have the confidence in knowing that if you find the instrument does not suit you that you aren't stuck with it. We offer the option to return any standard guitar to us within 10 days of receiving it for any reason and we will refund the entire sale price.

Best Wishes,

Sean
Randy, you’re not going to find any guitar builder, regardless of build medium, better than Emerald at standing behind their product. I have first-hand experience in working with Emerald to work out concerns with my Chimaera and I can confirm that their commitment to customer satisfaction is nothing short of extraordinary.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:49 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Hi Randy

I currently have both an Emerald X20 and a Rainsong CH WS but I do not have the CA XGi. I also have owned a Rainsong CO WS in the past.

Youtube videos may not represent the tone of Emerald well (which I have been through every single one of them before I got mine). The X20 was getting lots of positive review and I relied on that and was very happy with it. My X20 sounds like a full size dreadnought, plenty loud with full deep clear bass.

As for tone - I prefer X20 over my CH WS. But I do prefer the CO WS over X20 as it has a glassier tone and more bite from the standard scale length compared to the CH WS.

Comfort - X20 hands down for me, the bevel and curved back makes it so comfortable to hold. Neck carve/shape I have no preference on either

Volume - X20 is loud from a players perspective due to the placement of the soundhole, I dont care what others hear because I only play for myself to listen

Sustain - either one will sustain forever, that is one of the perks in carbon fibre.
Pandaroo is there any chance that you could post s side by side comparison video or at least audio file between the X20 and your CH WS?
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-25-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 10-25-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Pandaroo is there any chance that you could post s side by side comparison video or at least audio file between the X20 and your CH WS?
I can't quite go ""down under to fondle your goodies" that just doesn't sound right at all... hahahaha
Hi Randy,

Sean was superb coordinating my Custom Cocobolo X20.

I acquired my CH-WS from Ted (LA Guitar Sales) and his knowledge and experience with CF guitars was second to none.

I wish I could help but my CH-WS is currently at my folks in tropical humid Malaysia. That was the purpose of that guitar, basic, good sounding, no pickups, withstand humidity so when I travel to visit my folks, I didn't have to carry a guitar with me and my folks didn't have to worry looking after it.

May I suggest:

1) Contact Ted as he carries the CH-WS and the CO-WS. He also has a current X20 model (not for sale) and I'm sure he'd be happy to play them side by side on the phone with you. If Rainsong is the way to go, he is the man for it. (Sorry to Ted, put put you on the spot)

2) Like others have said, take advantage of the return policy on both the Rainsong and Emerald, a small price to pay to ensure you get the right instrument.

I would like to add also is that the X20 really embraces the carbon tone, is rich and deep sounding. Both the CH-WS and CO-WS to me sounded more wood-like.

Last edited by pandaroo; 10-25-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Had an Emerald for a short time, bought a Rainsong H-OM and that is my gigging guitar. Sounds great whether finger-picked or strummed. I have long stopped thinking about it as a "CF" guitar, it's just a guitar. For me, it seems louder than the Emerald, it is more comfortable to hold (at least for me, my body type, size, etc.), the neck is awesome...all around it a terrific guitar. I know that's not the direct comparison you were looking for, but at least it is some more info for you to process.
Why did you sell gour Emerald and switch to Rainsong? What bothered you about the Emerald ( if that was the reason, not trying to assume anything.)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Hi Randy

I currently have both an Emerald X20 and a Rainsong CH WS but I do not have the CA XGi. I also have owned a Rainsong CO WS in the past.

Youtube videos may not represent the tone of Emerald well (which I have been through every single one of them before I got mine). The X20 was getting lots of positive review and I relied on that and was very happy with it. My X20 sounds like a full size dreadnought, plenty loud with full deep clear bass.

As for tone - I prefer X20 over my CH WS. But I do prefer the CO WS over X20 as it has a glassier tone and more bite from the standard scale length compared to the CH WS.

Comfort - X20 hands down for me, the bevel and curved back makes it so comfortable to hold. Neck carve/shape I have no preference on either

Volume - X20 is loud from a players perspective due to the placement of the soundhole, I dont care what others hear because I only play for myself to listen

Sustain - either one will sustain forever, that is one of the perks in carbon fibre.
In youtube videos I am noticeing that the X20 as having a “plastic sound”
Since you owned both guitars that I am considering the X20 and the CO-WS what do you think? Do you notice any plastic sounding qualities in the highs?
I think I previously described it as “boxy” But perhaps “plastic” or “nasally” sounding is what my ear is hearing. Thoughts?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Hi Randy,

Best Wishes,

Sean
How much is return shipping to Ireland? Does anyone know?
Old 11-13-2017, 02:19 PM

never mind... found it.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
You can log on to UPS.com, USPS.com, or FedEx.com and get an estimate. The box size is 49x21x9 I believe, and you can use the weight of 25 pounds.

Quote:
never mind... found it.
Good, because you can indeed have the Rainsong Jumbo with a unidirectional carbon fiber, "CO" top. The CO-JM1000N2 would be the 14-fret standard long scale version with electronics, the CO-JM1100N2 would be acoustic only, and if the model number ends with NS instead of N2, than it's a 12-fret short scale.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
You can log on to UPS.com, USPS.com, or FedEx.com and get an estimate. The box size is 49x21x9 I believe, and you can use the weight of 25 pounds.

Good, because you can indeed have the Rainsong Jumbo with a unidirectional carbon fiber, "CO" top. The CO-JM1000N2 would be the 14-fret standard long scale version with electronics, the CO-JM1100N2 would be acoustic only, and if the model number ends with NS instead of N2, than it's a 12-fret short scale.
I would most likely be looking at a CO-OM or WS or JM 1100
I really dont like Piezo UST pickups , I think I would llike either a SBT like Dazzo, or Trance Amulet or PUTW style SBTs or an interal mic or a dual source with both.
I havent decided on N2 or NS yet I would need some hands on playing on a RS to determine that.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=Ted @ LA Guitar Sales;5535880]You can log on to UPS.com, USPS.com, or FedEx.com and get an estimate. The box size is 49x21x9 I believe, and you can use the weight of 25 pounds.

I checked FedEx and UPS and according to those parameters... it would be between $640 and $870 to ship an Emerald Guitar back to Ireland (unless I am missing something.... that is not an option for me.

wow.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

[QUOTE=RandyOK;5538916]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

I checked FedEx and UPS and according to those parameters... it would be between $640 and $870 to ship an Emerald Guitar back to Ireland (unless I am missing something.... that is not an option for me.

wow.
I don’t doubt that’s what you were told, but it’s ridiculous. About two years ago, I shipped an Emerald Chimaera doubleneck (so a LARGE item in a hardshell case) back to Emerald by USPS for about $75...or was it $90...can’t exactly remember, but it was one or the other.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
$90 last April.

I took a leap of faith and ordered the March 2017 special edition green Chimaera double-neck, having never seen an Emerald in person. After a week of test driving, it did not quite work for me finger style (due to a unique shoulder injury and hand position issues and the relative angle of the two necks). I mailed it back to Donegal for $90 using the US Snail, taking it directly to the local Post Office. Shipping was one week getting here, and eight days going back to Ireland. Emerald was superb to work with and very gracious at handling the return, so there is little real risk. I eventually convinced them -- by insisting -- to also deduct their original $90 shipping charge to me from the credit card refund. Since I returned the guitar, it just didn't feel right leaving them on the hook for the original shipping cost, but that is me and how I do business. They would gladly have refunded the entire purchase price.

I was very happy with the relationship and the quality of that Chimaera. So about two months later I ordered a custom green X20-12, basically the twelve string side of Chimaera. It arrived just this week. My initial impressions are very favorable, but I have had very limited time this week for bonding. (I am actually posting now while the computer works in the background running a big engineering model). Stand by for reviews.....

If you buy an X20 Opus from stock, it can ship quickly and can be returned if you just don't bond with it. The lead time for a built-to-order Artisan was exactly four months as Sean quoted. I am impressed by Emerald, and can say that as the owner of two Rainsongs, a Blackbird Lucky 13, having extensively played a Blackbird El Capitan in Ekoa, and owning a CA Cargo. Yes they are all different, but all very nice indeed. It would be hard to choose which is "best" for me, and your choice would likely be different, so I won't go there.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:14 PM
Guest 928

I checked out the price of cruise for an Emerald, from here to there. It's less than $100. Never had to do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber