The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
For that price point I would certainly get in touch with David Webber you may even find one secondhand.
Alright I'll keep on the lookout for one.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazyliszek View Post
I'm looking at 2.5k USD or under mainly. I don't think a custom new luthier-build would fall within that unfortunately.
If you would consider a used instrument, keep your eyes on the marketplace and classified sections of this forum, I'm sure you could find a great luthier built guitar there. What part of the country are you in?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
If you would consider a used instrument, keep your eyes on the marketplace and classified sections of this forum, I'm sure you could find a great luthier built guitar there. What part of the country are you in?
NY State. Yes, I've been looking quite often but haven't found anything yet that fit my specs. Not in a hurry though.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:47 PM

For the solo luthiers most have an OM sized model in their range. For example there is the Bashkin Plancencia. Many of the Luthiers who were apprentices for ervin somogyi have a model they call the OM but the somogyi om is actually more akin to the grand Auditorium size.

For the small shops Lowden has the S size.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
For the solo luthiers most have an OM sized model in their range. For example there is the Bashkin Plancencia. Many of the Luthiers who were apprentices for ervin somogyi have a model they call the OM but the somogyi om is actually more akin to the grand Auditorium size.

For the small shops Lowden has the S size.
Those looks like some wonderful guitars. Even a used Lowden tends to be above my price range, at least the F sizes.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

I'd recommend the Larrivee OM-05 or OM-09 for their price point and all-wood bindings that you said you like, but Larrivee's have a voice all their own, just like Lowden or Somogyi-style builders. It's not for everyone but its very balanced with nice sustain in all my experiences. I'd agree that Webber makes a fine OM or the "Roundbody" would be awesome for their price points.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 01-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For that price point I would certainly get in touch with David Webber you may even find one secondhand.
Yes, many of David's instruments could fit the bill. I would suggest his Roundbody over his OM, however.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, many of David's instruments could fit the bill. I would suggest his Roundbody over his OM, however.
David makes great instruments. I've had my Webber OM for 20+ years. It is exceptional in every way.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:40 PM

Huss and Dalton voices their Concert Series to have a more modern sound. Your price range might get you one of their used OMs or CMs.

Last edited by barley; 01-21-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Curious. What do you think Modern Sounding means? You're quick to dislike the sound of Taylors, which a lot on this forum would think of as a Modern sound. Certainly when compared to Martin and Gibson.

This is where I am also. There was a thread about 9 months ago regarding describing the modern sound and after about 5 pages it was clear that there was ABSOLUTELY NO consensus on what that even was. I found it a little on the funny side really.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at 2.5k USD or under mainly. I don't think a custom new luthier-build would fall within that unfortunately.
See if you can find a used Northwood mini-jumbo. Slightly larger than OM but still comfortable to play because of a uniquely narrow waist. John McQuarrie is a superb builder.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 01-21-2018, 05:50 PM

I would second the Furch/Stonebridge.

You do have two dealers near you in NY.

http://www.sgimusiccorp.com/product-...uitartech-nyc/

and Fretted Buffalo is a forum sponsor!

http://www.sgimusiccorp.com/product-...etted-buffalo/

The quality of sound between each Furch is pretty impressive. I've played many of them with varying different woods. Even woods I normally dislike, like walnut, and walk away impressed. I don't think it would necessarily be a case of buying sight unseen.

For finger style you would be hard to beat a cedar topped Furch!

If you don't mind used, this one seems to be a really good deal: https://reverb.com/item/5386987-furc...learance-price
Old 01-21-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall, and Furch OM/GC's have my attention, but have read the Santa Cruz and Collings having a more traditional voice.

If I were looking for a modern-voiced brand with great fingerstyle responsiveness and sustain, what would you suggest?
When you say "modern-voiced", and imply rich and responsive, I think Bourgeois. As long as you're checking out small-boutique level guitars, add that to your list.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes I agree Taylors have a modern sound, but to me they're shrill, tinny, thin sounding when compared to, for example, Furch.

Perhaps I'm specifically looking for a warm, modern sound. It's just my opinion, I dindn't intend to offend any Taylor fans out there.
Well since you weren’t specific that you did not prefer the tone of a Taylor in your opening post and this Taylor owner tried to offer some advice, I’d say you kind of stepped in it with your harsh comments about Taylor tone. I think you are being too general in your assessment because Taylor offers a lot of tonewood combinations and to state they are all shrill, tinny, and thin is just not accurate. I own a very nice Collings and a very nice hand made Jake Robinson 12 fret dread and my Taylors stand quite well with them.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:02 PM

very happy with my Brazilian Taylor 914 and it's counterpart, my OM28 Authentic. It's a spectrum. Other's get to decide if it's modern v. traditional.

Enjoy the hunt though!

f-d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion